The Student Room Group

Reggie Yates - 'dying for a six pack' BBC three

So last night at 9pm this was on.
I was wondering if anyone saw it or plans to do so.

Basically, it was infuriating. I like Reggie Yates (his documentaries on Russia were very good I thought) but this was just incredibly annoying.

Interviewing a bunch of idiots who were doing stupid/pointless things to achieve perfection. Most suffered from body dysmorphia i would say. Inconjunction with having very average physiques I thought.

The worst of all was their incomprehensible level of stupidity in relation to steroids. Although, the documentary tried to be balanced, it did still push the 'steroids = death' drum. I mean if a bunch of idiots know nothing about them, abuse them and end up with a serious problem then is it the drugs fault per se?
If nobody who frequents this forum saw it then there is nothing much to discuss haha but the point is, the lack of knowledge that loads of people possess in relation to striving for the 'perfect' body is astounding... With that I am referring to: Training, Diet, Steroids and their mental health (basically everything). If they would just read the FAQ! :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

When I heard Dave Crosland was gonna be on the show I thought "You know what, that guy really knows his stuff, this might be a decent program" but **** me, he's looking so out of shape these days. Screaming his head off on ****ing calf raises as well :rofl: The whole message of the show was "Take steroids, end up like these idiots - you don't want that do you?". Should have expected nothing more from the BBC.
Reply 2
I don't really expect anything else from TV representations of IPEDs and extreme is what it's all about, that is the extreme(ly stupid) end of steroid use. I would have liked to see it more balanced but also I think there is value in pointing out how much stupid is going on. Use is increasing and with it levels of stupid use is increasing and that's the worrying bit. I also think it is worth talking about/drawing attention to obsession with looks and dysmorphia because that's worrying. But still, it's not fair of them to present that as the full picture, it wouldn't have been hard for them to spend 5mins balancing it out a bit
[QUOTE=WoodyMKC;61444019]When I heard Dave Crosland was gonna be on the show I thought "You know what, that guy really knows his stuff, this might be a decent program" but **** me, he's looking so out of shape these days. Screaming his head off on ****ing calf raises as well :rofl: The whole message of the show was "Take steroids, end up like these idiots - you don't want that do you?". Should have expected nothing more from the BBC.

Yeah, he looked awful.
Is he clean?!?!? I was like (admittedly he's fat) I highly doubt he's clean.
Bleeding out of his head... Wtf.

I hated the "I work out 7 days a week"... Well 4 times would suffice in making serious gains (you can testify to that).

You probably have a much better physique than them. I mean that Karl guy....
He's pretty small, needs more muscle for proper six pack I'd say. Used 7kg DBs Hahahaha. Didn't track calories Hahahaha. Used bulking steroids previously and was only that size.
Uses a cutting agent now and has mediocre definition Hahahaha.
Then the BBC end it with him vowing to not take anymore.... Wow. What a mutant.
I think he should rename himself Reggie Stration Plates.

Spoiler

Original post by Unistudent77
Yeah, he looked awful.

I hated the "I work out 7 days a week"... Well 4 times would suffice in making serious gains (you can testify to that).

He's pretty small, needs more muscle for proper six pack I'd say. Used 7kg DBs Hahahaha. Didn't track calories Hahahaha. Used bulking steroids previously and was only that size.

Dave Crosland did an independant film/documentary a while ago about his steroid use, diet and training, and in that he seemed to really know his stuff and was HUGE. Still is now, but he's just a fat blob now, doesn't look good at all, terrible example of what a very experienced lifter and drug user should look like. Ironic that they should use him for a show about six packs when he's clearly over 100lbs too fat to have one :rofl:

Cheers buddy :smile: Just seemed like they picked the most fame-hungry, deluded lifters they could find who knew nothing, with the aimof painting a negative picture. At least when the BBC made Skinny Boys & Muscle Men or whatever it was called, they actually used some guys that were in good nick and didn't harp on about drug use. Oh, and clen is apparently a steroid :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone remember the BBC's previous foray into the bodybuilding world? The one where they showed the guy who was eating nothing by fish and rice cakes while pre-comp and where the infamous "smash it out on the chest" came from.
[QUOTE=WoodyMKC;61444593]Dave Crosland did an independant film/documentary a while ago about his steroid use, diet and training, and in that he seemed to really know his stuff and was HUGE. Still is now, but he's just a fat blob now, doesn't look good at all, terrible example of what a very experienced lifter and drug user should look like. Ironic that they should use him for a show about six packs when he's clearly over 100lbs too fat to have one :rofl:

Cheers buddy :smile: Just seemed like they picked the most fame-hungry, deluded lifters they could find who knew nothing, with the aimof painting a negative picture. At least when the BBC made Skinny Boys & Muscle Men or whatever it was called, they actually used some guys that were in good nick and didn't harp on about drug use. Oh, and clen is apparently a steroid :rofl:

I hated the pushing of 'obsession'. Like yes, that guy was obsessed. However, most people have a far healthier 'obsession' with the gym. What is wrong with self-improvement?!?

That's great if Reggie just hits the gym a little and occasionally (reasonably athletic anyway) but surely it's better to do even more.

Anyway, rant over. Glad some people agreed :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
When I heard Dave Crosland was gonna be on the show I thought "You know what, that guy really knows his stuff, this might be a decent program" but **** me, he's looking so out of shape these days. Screaming his head off on ****ing calf raises as well :rofl: The whole message of the show was "Take steroids, end up like these idiots - you don't want that do you?". Should have expected nothing more from the BBC.

Have u taken steroids? Also during your water fight, did your white tshirt get wet, and could you see the contours of your hunky superman body?
Clen is mildly anabolic and muscle preserving hence it was probably mentioned

Dave Crossland has managed to total his body through pumping his body with lethal amounts of gear

It doesn't suit the BBC or anyone for that matter to be honest about steroids; they are still illegal for everything other than personal use
I watched it and found it extremely interesting! I can relate to it- to be honest I think I may fall under the spectrum of body dysmorphia- I'm only 18 and started lifting around 2 years ago and while others always mention I'm 'muscly' etc I just can't see it. I'm completing A2 now alongside applying for medical school so I've got a lot to think about but all my mind is focused on is the gym. Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nununu
Have u taken steroids? Also during your water fight, did your white tshirt get wet, and could you see the contours of your hunky superman body?

Not yet :wink: What hunky superman body, I'm mid-bulk so I'm too chubby atm :rofl:
It highlighted a lot of what is wrong with gym culture. It's not about fitness, it is all about narcissism, and its all style over substance.
[QUOTE=Quantex;61451637]It highlighted a lot of what is wrong with gym culture. It's not about fitness, it is all about narcissism, and its all style over substance.

What's wrong with that in moderation though? We are all self-conscience to an extent, we all want to improve and see progression. The 21st century world is vain af so everyone needs to compete unfortunately, you can't improve your genetics, especially when talking about our faces etc but we can have great bodies which will improve your appearance significantly.

Nobody is forcing anyone to lift.
Was Rich Piana on it
Reply 15
The guy doing the cling film **** and the guy getting surgery for '6 pack abs' wtf

They both had poor bodies, terrible program
Original post by Angry cucumber
It doesn't suit the BBC or anyone for that matter to be honest about steroids; they are still illegal for everything other than personal use

To be fair, I saw some kind of live experiment which I think involved David Nutt and definitely involved someone taking low dose MDMA in a studio and talking through their experience. I don't think there is a mass media conspiracy to keep drugs illegal because I don't think there needs to be. There's not really a public or political appetite for legalisation, even of weed.

I haven't seen the documentary, but I don't have a problem with them talking about body dysmorphia. It would be a fairly boring documentary if he just interviewed a bunch of responsible gym/steroid enthusiasts who told him which AIs they're taking. Well maybe you guys would like it.
[QUOTE=SmashConcept;61456895]To be fair, I saw some kind of live experiment which I think involved David Nutt and definitely involved someone taking low dose MDMA in a studio and talking through their experience. I don't think there is a mass media conspiracy to keep drugs illegal because I don't think there needs to be. There's not really a public or political appetite for legalisation, even of weed.

I haven't seen the documentary, but I don't have a problem with them talking about body dysmorphia. It would be a fairly boring documentary if he just interviewed a bunch of responsible gym/steroid enthusiasts who told him which AIs they're taking. Well maybe you guys would like it.

Polls show weed legalisation at 45-55 against on average so fairly close. This is with lots of stigma etc, once America continues to legalise I can only see 'for' increasing... Agree about other drugs though.

No, it was more the way gym-goers (who heaven forbit go more than 2 times a week) were portrayed as 'obsessed' and clearly all had deep mental problems.
I didn't expect steroids to be looked at seriously, tbh, I agreed with the programme that it was wording how young and stupid this new wave of users are.
Polls show weed legalisation at 45-55 against on average so fairly close. This is with lots of stigma etc, once America continues to legalise I can only see 'for' increasing... Agree about other drugs though.

True but how many of those people would list weed legalization as one of their top 5 issues when deciding who to vote for? Probably more like 5%? That's what I mean by there being no appetite for it, because most of those people who poll in favour will still vote for a prohibition party when push comes to shove.

No, it was more the way gym-goers (who heaven forbit go more than 2 times a week) were portrayed as 'obsessed' and clearly all had deep mental problems.
I didn't expect steroids to be looked at seriously, tbh, I agreed with the programme that it was wording how young and stupid this new wave of users are.

I can't comment on actual nature of the documentary because I haven't seen it. If it really tried to suggest that going to the gym has to be an unhealthy obsession then obviously I agree that's bad.
Yeah, he looked awful.

Loooooooool 7kg dumbells. **** that's bad.

Quick Reply

Latest