The Student Room Group

Should I drop AS Level Psychology?

Poll

Should I drop Psychology?

Hello TSR, newcomer here! *waves hand*

I'm 16 and, as many of you will be, doing my AS Levels. I took Product Design, Business Studies, History and Psychology. And here we come to the problem. After I got my mock results for the subjects I chose, I was hugely disappointed in Psychology in comparison to the others (A in Product Design, Bs in History and Business Studies not far off A grades) which was barely a C. Product Design is hugely coursework intensive, and I am not one to shy away from hard work. Thing is it takes up a lot of my time. History requires a lot of revision, and with my extracurricular hobbies/interests being a large part of my life (and I am not willing to give anything else up, already packed in dance, judo and guitar) I am finding that I have little time, holidays aside, to revise it. Business is okay at the minute, but I can foresee more revision being needed.

My heart is out of psychology at this point. Content just seems to be loaded onto us, with practice questions most lessons and the real interesting aspects being covered by drudgery etc. My other three subjects are ones which I am definitely taking to A2, which creates more headaches for me because: should I drop AS Psychology to focus on the subjects which I am interested in so much more, or stick it out and then drop it? My Sixth Form teacher whom I had a meeting with wants me to keep it going, but says it is my decision. My parents are not one way or the other; just want the best for me. I’ve been presented with opposing arguments, like universities potentially turning me down because of me lacking that one AS grade. Thing is, I also want to improve myself as a person this year: physically, psychologically (excuse the pun) and so forth. I was considering gymnastics, but I have realised that with four AS levels as well as the current things, it would be too much.

Currently it is six lessons a cycle (we have a week 1 and week 2 based one), which is the equivalent of an extra day and a half I could use towards staying up to date with design to a high standard, revising history/business or going to the school gym if I am free. I understand I could wait until after the exams have passed, and I have not dropped that option off the table, but when pushing towards a better version of myself I don’t want to be holding myself back when I could be making leaps and bounds of progress during that time. Doing all of what I do will make my personal statement really rich and in-depth, and if I did drop that fourth AS level I feel that to some extent my personal statement would make up for it (doing my Bronze DofE, Bronze NNAS, Heartstart, going to volunteer in a charity shop for a while as part of DofE, doing the John Muir award in cadets etc. are all things I will be able to add).

What are your thoughts? I've seen it through to the half term, and need to make a decision during this time as to stick to it or not.

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by Kierensaddlr

I'm 16 and, as many of you will be, doing my AS Levels. I took Product Design, Business Studies, History and Psychology. And here we come to the problem. After I got my mock results for the subjects I chose, I was hugely disappointed in Psychology in comparison to the others (A in Product Design, Bs in History and Business Studies not far off A grades) which was barely a C. Product Design is hugely coursework intensive, and I am not one to shy away from hard work. Thing is it takes up a lot of my time. History requires a lot of revision, and with my extracurricular hobbies/interests being a large part of my life (and I am not willing to give anything else up, already packed in dance, judo and guitar) I am finding that I have little time, holidays aside, to revise it. Business is okay at the minute, but I can foresee more revision being needed.

My heart is out of psychology at this point. Content just seems to be loaded onto us, with practice questions most lessons and the real interesting aspects being covered by drudgery etc. My other three subjects are ones which I am definitely taking to A2, which creates more headaches for me because: should I drop AS Psychology to focus on the subjects which I am interested in so much more, or stick it out and then drop it? My Sixth Form teacher whom I had a meeting with wants me to keep it going, but says it is my decision. My parents are not one way or the other; just want the best for me. I’ve been presented with opposing arguments, like universities potentially turning me down because of me lacking that one AS grade. Thing is, I also want to improve myself as a person this year: physically, psychologically (excuse the pun) and so forth. I was considering gymnastics, but I have realised that with four AS levels as well as the current things, it would be too much.

Currently it is six lessons a cycle (we have a week 1 and week 2 based one), which is the equivalent of an extra day and a half I could use towards staying up to date with design to a high standard, revising history/business or going to the school gym if I am free. I understand I could wait until after the exams have passed, and I have not dropped that option off the table, but when pushing towards a better version of myself I don’t want to be holding myself back when I could be making leaps and bounds of progress during that time. Doing all of what I do will make my personal statement really rich and in-depth, and if I did drop that fourth AS level I feel that to some extent my personal statement would make up for it (doing my Bronze DofE, Bronze NNAS, Heartstart, going to volunteer in a charity shop for a while as part of DofE, doing the John Muir award in cadets etc. are all things I will be able to add).

What are your thoughts? I've seen it through to the half term, and need to make a decision during this time as to stick to it or not.

If you don't think you're going to do well in Psychology and aren't enjoying it, then it might be best to focus on your other subjects :smile: It would depend on where you wanted to go and what you want to do that would decide whether our Unis would want a 4th AS, so it might be best to look into that a bit first :smile:
Universities generally care less about people only having 3 AS' now, since AS' across most subjects no longer exist. Not sure if this helps you or not.
Original post by Jacobisswaggy
Universities generally care less about people only having 3 AS' now, since AS' across most subjects no longer exist. Not sure if this helps you or not.

Good point Jacob. The only subject I am doing where AS really matters is Product Design, which still works off the old system. Thank you :smile:
Hi!!!!!

If you're really not enjoying the subject then I would recommend to drop it because you don't want to be focusing your time on it and as a result, your other grades dropping. I don't think universities will care about how many AS seeing as they no longer count for most subjects grrr:angry: so much to remember:frown: next year!!!

Anyways, do what you feel is best for you and if you're definitely sure you want to pursue the other subjects next year then drop it but just remember how far you've come this year with the work load (the only reason I wouldn't drop a subject - I didn't sleep at 1am for nothing!!!!)

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kierensaddlr

My heart is out of psychology at this point. Content just seems to be loaded onto us, with practice questions most lessons and the real interesting aspects being covered boi by drudgery etc. My other three subjects are ones which I am definitely taking to A2, which creates more headaches for me because: should I drop AS Psychology to focus on the subjects which I am interested in so much more, or stick it out and then drop it? My Sixth Form teacher whom I had a meeting with wants me to keep it going, but says it is my decision. My parents are not one way or the other; just want the best for me. I’ve been presented with opposing arguments, like universities potentially turning me down because of me lacking that one AS grade. Thing is, I also want to improve myself as a person this year: physically, psychologically (excuse the pun) and so forth. I was considering gymnastics, but I have realised that with four AS levels as well as the current things, it would be too much.

Currently it is six lessons a cycle (we have a week 1 and week 2 based one), which is the equivalent of an extra day and a half I could use towards staying up to date with design to a high standard, revising history/business or going to the school gym if I am free. I understand I could wait until after the exams have passed, and I have not dropped that option off the table, but when pushing hi towards a better version of myself I don’t want to be holding myself back when I could be making leaps and bounds of progress during that time. Doing all of what I do will make my personal statement really rich and in-depth, and if I did drop that fourth AS level I feel that to some extent my personal statement would make up for it (doing my Bronze DofE, Bronze NNAS, Heartstart, going to volunteer in a charity shop for a while as part of DofE, doing the John Muir award in cadets etc. are all things I will be able to add).

I rlly do think that u should go with ur gut feeling as well as ur heart. If its taking up ur time, and u wanna focus ur time on ur other subjects, I think personally, u should drop it, think about it for a bit, ask ur parents, teachers, but if u got this mind set, then hunny, drop it. Wishing u the best.

Quick Reply

Latest