The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Dundee Primary PGDE 2016

have an interview this week for Dundee university part of the interview is a presentation and the question is:

In an interview with Andrew Marr on the BBC on Sunday 24th November 2013, Michael Gove (then Education Minister for England), in response to a question pertaining to ‘unqualified teachers employed in particular schools in England’, suggested that a person who had achieved a first class Honours degree from Oxford (for example) would make an excellent teacher without undertaking a Teaching Qualification. In light of this comment, what (if any) educational benefits might be derived in undertaking a university course for the prospective teacher and/or pupils.

does anyone know how to explain this I thought it was saying that I need to talk about what benefits PGDE students will get that other students wont get is that correct?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was/am confused by this as well. I take it to mean: how would it benefit the teacher (and by extension his/her pupils) by having a degree in something else (that doesn´t pertain to education) ?

Thats the reading I take from it.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by MartineH
have an interview this week for Dundee university part of the interview is a presentation and the question is:

In an interview with Andrew Marr on the BBC on Sunday 24th November 2013, Michael Gove (then Education Minister for England), in response to a question pertaining to ‘unqualified teachers employed in particular schools in England’, suggested that a person who had achieved a first class Honours degree from Oxford (for example) would make an excellent teacher without undertaking a Teaching Qualification. In light of this comment, what (if any) educational benefits might be derived in undertaking a university course for the prospective teacher and/or pupils.

does anyone know how to explain this I thought it was saying that I need to talk about what benefits PGDE students will get that other students wont get is that correct?

Hey how did you get on at interview? I have mine next week. Can you shed any more light on the presentation question and overall process

Thanks
I have an interview at Dundee on the 11th, very nervous! This question is so confusing as it can be interpreted in various ways. I am going to ask a few teacher friends for some advice!
Reply 4
hey i have mine as well . what way are you's doing this presentation?
Reply 5
[QUOTE="scpdundee;62340375"]I have an interview at Dundee on the 11th, very nervous! This question is so confusing as it can be interpreted in various ways. I am going to ask a few teacher friends for some advice![/QUOTE

Hey! I have mine the 11th as well . What time is yours at? for the presentation, do you only speak about it or you making some sort of visual aid like poster?
thanks.
Mine was the 11th February, is yours the 11th March?
Reply 7
yeah mine the 11th of march! any tips? what did they do for the presentation? any hard questions?
Reply 8
HI mine is the 9th March. Are you all presenting a written prepared talk?
Would be great to know what to expect :smile:
Hi, yeah i had written my talk and just stood up and read it out, pretty much everyone fid the same.

The whole thing is quite informal dont be nervous. Im finding waiting to hear afterwards worse!
Reply 10
Original post by scpdundee
Hi, yeah i had written my talk and just stood up and read it out, pretty much everyone fid the same.

The whole thing is quite informal dont be nervous. Im finding waiting to hear afterwards worse!

Thanks for your reply! That is great to know! So is the presentation question regarding the interview between Andrew Marr and Michael Gove basically asking you why teaching courses are relevant to becoming a teacher instead of just having a degree in whatever else and why it is relevant? and then provide benefits of teaching courses?

Thanks again!
Original post by Reid16
Thanks for your reply! That is great to know! So is the presentation question regarding the interview between Andrew Marr and Michael Gove basically asking you why teaching courses are relevant to becoming a teacher instead of just having a degree in whatever else and why it is relevant? and then provide benefits of teaching courses?

Thanks again!

Yeah that's exactly what I spoke about, the benefits of doung the teacher training degree compared with just a degree in English for example.

The group task was fun, you are in 2 groups and you have to come up with a lesson plan.

The discussion was pretty laid back too, the two interviewers each gave us a topic of discussion.

Good Luck!
Reply 12
Thank you very much! This helps a lot.

What lesson are they wanting you to plan may I ask? Should I be have prepared anything for this part?

Thanks and good luck to you also :smile:
No preparation needed for the group task, they give you a few pictures and you have to choose one to base a lesson on. Was quite fun.

I was hoping to have heard by now but guess it's still going to be a few weeks 😯
Reply 14
Okay thats great!

Hopefully you hear back soon! A girl I know just heard she got in and i obviously haven't even had my interview yet, so might you might hear back soon
Oh really??from Dundee? Oh goodness if i dont hear soon ill be panicking its a no 😯 do you know when she had her interview?
Original post by scpdundee
Yeah that's exactly what I spoke about, the benefits of doung the teacher training degree compared with just a degree in English for example.

The group task was fun, you are in 2 groups and you have to come up with a lesson plan.

The discussion was pretty laid back too, the two interviewers each gave us a topic of discussion.

Good Luck!

Hi there, just wondering if you could shed any light on the topics of discussion. I'm finding it hard to come across current issues in Scottish education.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 17
Hi
Just came across this page - I have my interview on 9th March.
Did you prepare any handouts for the talk or asked any questions afterwards?

Goodluck - hopefully you hear back soon
Reply 18
Just came across this post
I have my interview on the 9th and have the same question.
Did you provide handouts for your talk - or asked any questions afterwards?

Ps Good Luck hope you hear back soon
The topics for the group discussion were how to create a positive classroom environment and then how to deal with barriers to learning. The interviewers each pick a topic so they may ask different questions to those but they are subject areas you could read up on and apply them to different questions.

With the talk no one had handouts and you arent asked any questions at the end, each person just does their 2 minute talk and then there was a short break before the group discussion.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending