The Student Room Group

Emotional timeline - waiting for your A-level (or equiv) results

Hey :smile:

I need your help :bl:

I received my A-level results 12 years ago so I'm a little flakey on how I coped with the worry and the stress of it all - we didn't even have Track then! :shakecane:

What are emotional stages you went through from:

Stage one
Finishing your exams i.e. Hooray! I am done!

Stage two
A week later i.e. I blatantly messed that question up, why didn't I write that...?

Stage three
July i.e. Pah, nothing I can do, may as well enjoy the summer

Stage four
Beginning of August

Stage five
A few days before results

Stage six
The day before

And what what were you thinking? How did your thinking change over time/ how did you overcome the worry? Did you even feel worried?

What you write will help us to plan content, support and advice for students this summer.

Let's do this :badger:

Scroll to see replies

Stage 1 (exams just finished)
OMG I WANT MY RESULTS NOW

Stage 2 (at home)
Better get on TSR to check Arsey's model answers

Stage 3 (throughout the next week)
**** I DIDN'T WRITE THAT :cry2:

Stage 4 (following weeks)
Annoy the crap out of everyone online "Would I get a mark for this? No? But even if I showed this? Are you sure? What about this?"

Stage 5 (mid summer)
Mostly forgotten about exams

Stage 6 (mid-end summer)
Friends (tbh don't deserve to be called friends if they do this :colonhash:) keep reminding you "OMG 21 days 8 hours 5 seconds 12 milliseconds until results day! Are you nervous?!"

Stage 7 (final approach to results day)
Either
-Begin to accept the fact that you can still get a job even with your probably atrocious grades
OR
-eat buckets of ice cream to drown your sorrows

Stage 8 (results day)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student403

Stage 2 (at home)

Annoy the crap out of everyone online "Would I get a mark for this? No? But even if I showed this? Are you sure? What about this?"

Stage 5 (mid summer)

Stage 6 (mid-end summer)
Friends (tbh don't deserve to be called friends if they do this :colonhash:) keep reminding you "OMG 21 days 8 hours 5 seconds 12 milliseconds until results day! Are you nervous?!"

Either
-Begin to accept the fact that you can still get a job even with your probably atrocious grades
OR

Stage 8 (results day)

This is amazing.

I love you spoder.
Original post by Ethereal World
This is amazing.

I love you spoder.

Aw PRSOM :colondollar:
"OMG 21 days 8 hours 5 seconds 12 milliseconds until

Me for practically anything
Reply 5

Stage 2 (at home)

Stage 5 (mid summer)

Stage 6 (mid-end summer)

Either
OR

Stage 8 (results day)

The one true answer has been found.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Me for practically anything

Grr

You do not deserve to be called my friend if you do that to me before results day :colonhash:
Grr

You do not deserve to be called my friend if you do that to me before results day :colonhash:

OMG 148days, 5 hours, 4 minutes, 49 seconds until results day! :ahee:
Are you nervous :afraid:
Can i be rebellious and do it for GCSE Results day 2015? :colondollar:.....

Stage one (last exam)
OMG yes! all those 20 something exams are finally over :woo: never have to do spanish ever again :excited:

Stage two (few days after the exam)
Checks @jamestg's GCSE results day thread and lurks around to see how everyone else found everything :afraid: Omg i wrote the wrong thing :cry:

Stage three (first day of summer)
OMG SUMMMMEEEEEEERRR :cool: woop woop so many plans :ahee:

Stage four (midway through summer)
Actually summer is not as great as i thought :redface: missing my friends :moon: wish results day would hurry up :cry2:

Stage five (bursting bubbles or gingerbread or someone releases the boundaries)
Checks the grade boundaries for the maths exam (yes you that maths exam ;-; ). Get's midly hopeful :puppyeyes:

Stage six (day before)
OMG OMG OMG OMGOGjdfksfk`jbsdbfkdsfsdjb :crazy: gets properly scared about the maths exam, prepares apology speeches to teachers :adore:

Stage seven (RESULTS DAY 2015)
The heart thumping the apologetic speeches about hannah's sweets then the excitement and the hugs off of my mum :love:

(edited 8 years ago)
What I imagine it to be...:daydreamer:
Stage 1 (after my last exam)
F*ck you further maths that doesn't even count to anything

Stage 2 (a week later)
Bring in the Cs and Ds...I better apply to the local binmen workplace thingy

Stage 3 (summer hols)
Yasssss!! Starbucks work and shadowing!!!

Stage 4 (night before)
Crap I want to die

Stage 5 (Results day)
To be continued :itsamystery:
Ever seen one of those 'she loves me, she loves me not' flowers and pulling all the petals? If you imagine the petals as days, I'll be saying 'I passed, I definitely failed, I passed...'

But seriously, I didn't really worry about results day until the night before and just enjoyed my summer. :h:

Stage one
Finishing your exams
Slept for a very long time and had many taps. I had a mini breakdown in my final Physics exam (luckily I only had one exam after that, as the Physics one was the 13th out of 14.

Stage two
A week later
Went to an end of year barbecue at school, was very sad to leave the place and was wondering if I would ever be happier than I felt in Year 13 at 6th form (yes, some people do enjoy 6th form!)

Stage three
July
Enjoyed my holidays, went to Ireland and Japan. Nothing of interest happened.
Stage four
Beginning of August

Still no sense of urgency. Nothing of interest happened. Enjoying my summer, not looking particularly forward to uni.
Stage five
A few days before results
Slight panic sets in, but still not really nervous.
Stage six
The day before
A strange sense of excitement. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get to sleep but ended up sleeping at a normal time. I didn't check the grade boundaries as I wasn't interested in them / forgot what kind of marks I was roughly expecting, and it would only have unsettled me.

Stage 7

The actual day.. in the morning, I was strongly debating whether to check track or not and I did, and I had got into my firm. So the bus ride was still tense and I remember my mum saying 'whatever you get, it's okay' which makes a real change from what she'd been saying for the whole two years!

This results day was also my birthday but made no difference to how I felt :tongue: but yes.. I'd do A-levels all over again if I could. :moon:
Original post by CoolCavy
Can i be rebellious and do it for GCSE Results day 2015? :colondollar:.....

Stage one (last exam)
OMG yes! all those 20 something exams are finally over :woo: never have to do spanish ever again :excited:

Stage two (few days after the exam)
Checks @jamestg's GCSE results day thread and lurks around to see how everyone else found everything :afraid: Omg i wrote the wrong thing :cry:

Stage three (first day of summer)
OMG SUMMMMEEEEEEERRR :cool: woop woop so many plans :ahee:

Stage four (midway through summer)
Actually summer is not as great as i thought :redface: missing my friends :moon: wish results day would hurry up :cry2:

Stage five (bursting bubbles or gingerbread or someone releases the boundaries)
Checks the grade boundaries for the maths exam (yes you that maths exam ;-; ). Get's midly hopeful :puppyeyes:

Stage six (day before)
OMG OMG OMG OMGOGjdfksfk`jbsdbfkdsfsdjb :crazy: gets properly scared about the maths exam, prepares apology speeches to teachers :adore:

Stage seven (RESULTS DAY 2015)
The heart thumping the apologetic speeches about hannah's sweets then the excitement and the hugs off of my mum :love:

Perfect! Do you want to set up a seperate thread in GCSE? Pretty please :woo:
These are all fab! But I need more more more!!!

:bl:
Original post by She-Ra
Perfect! Do you want to set up a seperate thread in GCSE? Pretty please :woo:

Omg feel like u have made it in life when you get quoted by She-ra :giggle: and if you want me to? :colondollar:
Original post by She-Ra
These are all fab! But I need more more more!!!

Your emoticon game is on point :rofl:
Anyone else start getting dreams about your results a few days before results day? So even at night you're not safe

Or get very superstitious? Like "I can't walk under that ladder or it'll jinx my grades" :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stage one
Relief and lots of patting self on back for various things (showing up to exams, walking out of general studies exam halfway through the paper, etc etc)

Stage two
Calculate just how badly you could have done on each of your modules and still achieve the grades you need for uni

Stage three
I have definitely failed those economics exams

Stage four
Consider alternative life options, such as becoming sheep farmer in Switzerland

Stage five
(applies to only small percentage of students waiting for results) Pack ready to move house, continue worrying about economics papers

Stage six
Spend too much time on offer-holders thread on TSR nervously chatting with other nervous people, reassuring each other and generally lolling

Stage seven
UCAS TRACK - ACCEPTED - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt

Stage eight
Receive letter from uni saying although you missed their offer (:colonhash:) they still want to accept you

Stage nine
Blame economics exams even before receiving results

Stage ten
Receive results and see that you did meet your offer, enquire as to why and how UCAS ****ed up

Stage eleven
Ask economics tutor for module marks (couldn't collect results in person owing to house move). Realise you got 100% UMS in economics and prepare to gloat about it for the rest of your life.

Stage twelve
Decide that you never doubted yourself and you were always confident about your exam performance. Clearly remember feeling like a genius while writing exam responses.

Stage thirteen
Believe you are possibly the next Einstein. Pack for uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's so long ago that I can't remember anything much about my own, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing like as stressful as waiting for my kids' results. Something to look forward to for most of you!
Original post by UnknownAnon
Anyone else start getting dreams about your results a few days before results day? So even at night you're not safe

Or get very superstitious? Like "I can't walk under that ladder or it'll jinx my grades" :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMg it's not just me

Ily :adore:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's so long ago that I can't remember anything much about my own, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing like as stressful as waiting for my kids' results. Something to look forward to for most of you!

Ahh what makes you most nervous about it? How they'll feel or how it will affect them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending