The Student Room Group

A star equivalency VS equivalencytesting.com

Hey guys,

I need to take the equivalency exam for English.

The options seem really limited. Equivalency Testing's customer service is a complete joke and as of right now I am unable to even click their 'apply' button on their website.
That said, they are accepted by many unis and places.

What about A star equivalency. Anyone got any experience with them?
Are they accepted?

Thanks

Igor
Hi Igor,

I had the same issues with Equivalency testing and from the threads on here it would seem that the majority of other people have had problems or bad service too. Ive currently booked my science equivalency with Astar. They have been very helpful and you can call or speak to them on online messenger and they reply pretty quickly! Also you can pay an additional £60 with them to get you result backs within 48 hours instead of three weeks which I know is more money but I think is pretty good as I don't know about you but I have to pass by the end of august and dont want to wait round stressing not knowing if ive passed or need to resit or what! I would just check with your provider that the accept Astar as most do but a few do not! Hope that helps! Best of luck! :smile: Kelly
Reply 2
Hi Kelly,

thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I am seriously considering A star but I will need to confirm with the universities on Monday, (they did promise they'd get back to me so unless the Equivalency Testing becomes possible right away, there is no point in taking the test with them.)
I understand the ET as a company is small but such terrible customer service.... I suppose they dont care as they dont exactly have a lot of competition out there.

Yes, the 48hour result thing might be worth it I also need to get my results asap.

Btw. Is the structure essentially the same as regular GCSE's? (i.e. 5 questions - 1-4 Reading, language analysis, structural analysis, opinion and section 5 writing?)

Thanks.
Original post by mrIgz
Hi Kelly,

thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I am seriously considering A star but I will need to confirm with the universities on Monday, (they did promise they'd get back to me so unless the Equivalency Testing becomes possible right away, there is no point in taking the test with them.)
I understand the ET as a company is small but such terrible customer service.... I suppose they dont care as they dont exactly have a lot of competition out there.

Yes, the 48hour result thing might be worth it I also need to get my results asap.

Btw. Is the structure essentially the same as regular GCSE's? (i.e. 5 questions - 1-4 Reading, language analysis, structural analysis, opinion and section 5 writing?)

Thanks.

Hey!

No problem! I'm afraid I don't know about that! as I am only doing science and science if a multiple choice question option. If you search astar equiv on here I think I remember there being some threads about the English exam! Also if not on Monday go on astars website and there is a live chat option so you can ask them and confirm for certain!

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hey!

No problem! I'm afraid I don't know about that! as I am only doing science and science if a multiple choice question option. If you search astar equiv on here I think I remember there being some threads about the English exam! Also if not on Monday go on astars website and there is a live chat option so you can ask them and confirm for certain!

Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks, I'll do that. Unless I am able to book my place by tomorrow morning then I ll contact the unis and ask them if they can take the A* equivalency test. Then book it, get it over with. Really frustrating this GCSE thing. (I have an A in both maths and english as well as a ICT for both GCSE and A-levels but since I sat these secondary school exams in the czech republic, only Maths and Computer Science are accepted. For English, It looks like I need to the actual UK one, even though it's very similar. oh well).

Thanks. I'll let you know how it went. Good luck with yours.
I can imagine thats rather frustrating! At least when its done you will feel better for it! Thank you! Let me know hoe it goes!
Hi, did you managed to book your exam with a star?
Reply 7
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hi Igor,

I had the same issues with Equivalency testing and from the threads on here it would seem that the majority of other people have had problems or bad service too. Ive currently booked my science equivalency with Astar. They have been very helpful and you can call or speak to them on online messenger and they reply pretty quickly! Also you can pay an additional £60 with them to get you result backs within 48 hours instead of three weeks which I know is more money but I think is pretty good as I don't know about you but I have to pass by the end of august and dont want to wait round stressing not knowing if ive passed or need to resit or what! I would just check with your provider that the accept Astar as most do but a few do not! Hope that helps! Best of luck! :smile: Kelly

Hello

I was just wondering if you could give me any guidance with the science? Was it very difficult? I'm revising but I know I just can't remember it all!
Was it multiple choice?

Thanks x
Reply 8
hello
Which website have you booked the gcse equivalency test for
i need to retake mine but i dont know whether to go for equivalency testing or a star equivalency
Reply 9
Original post by student.00
hello
i need to retake mine but i dont know whether to go for equivalency testing or a star equivalency

Hi I used A star equivalency. Good service!
Reply 10
Original post by student.00
hello

If you haven't decided already, i'd go with a star equivalency. Best option out of the 2.

Quick Reply

Latest