The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A2- an introduction to genetic engineering

on page 174 of the OCR biology book, does anyone know what they mean when they say 'vectors often have to contain regulatory sequences of DNA'?
Original post by manic.high.girl
on page 174 of the OCR biology book, does anyone know what they mean when they say 'vectors often have to contain regulatory sequences of DNA'?

The bit in the book on replica plating should elaborate on this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
The bit in the book on replica plating should elaborate on this

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, I've read the bit on replica plating. I don't understand what they mean when they say 'original plasmid ' though? is this plasmid from the E.coli?
thank you, I've read the bit on replica plating. I don't understand what they mean when they say 'original plasmid ' though? is this plasmid from the E.coli?

Yeah - so the ones they picked to be engineered
Why would two different antibiotics be required? Surely you could just put the bacteria on the tetracycline, the bacteria that die are the ones with insulin, so they are the ones you want. I don't see the need for the ampicillin.
Original post by kingaaran
Yeah - so the ones they picked to be engineered

and on one side of the spread it says the plasmid comes from E.coli and on the other side of the spread it says that the plasmid is coding for antibiotic resistance?
Reply 6

You should know that regulatory sequence means "a series of DNA nucleotides that regulate the expression of a gene". Vectors have to contain these, so that the gene you want is expressed more frequently especially since the cells injected with this DNA die; and new cells are made which do not contain this gene (not sure if I phrased it correctly).

Edit: it also needed to prevent further replication, causing development of tumours.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
You should know that regulatory sequence means "a series of DNA nucleotides that regulate the expression of a gene". Vectors have to contain these, so that the gene you want is expressed more frequently especially since the cells injected with this DNA die; and new cells are made which do not contain this gene (not sure if I phrased it correctly).

Edit: it also needed to prevent further replication, causing development of tumours.

thank you that makes sense now
Why would two different antibiotics be required? Surely you could just put the bacteria on the tetracycline, the bacteria that die are the ones with insulin, so they are the ones you want. I don't see the need for the ampicillin.

to see if the bacteria have taken up any of the plasmids at all..
some bacteria won't take up the plasmids so its just to differentiate between those that do and those that don't.
What i don't understand is why you use tetracycline cause that will just kill the bacteria containing insulin and thats the one we want so why would u want to kill it?
Original post by Jophilip123
to see if the bacteria have taken up any of the plasmids at all..
some bacteria won't take up the plasmids so its just to differentiate between those that do and those that don't.
What i don't understand is why you use tetracycline cause that will just kill the bacteria containing insulin and thats the one we want so why would u want to kill it?

thank you !!!! :smile: it's only a very small sample that is taken and tested with tetracycline, so it doesn't really matter if a few get killed. that's what I've come up with anyway

Quick Reply

Latest