The Student Room Group

Which uni for maths

Which uni is better for maths

Lancaster or Exeter?
Lancaster has a better ranking for Mathematics than Exeter if that helps?

Have a look at this.

You can also use WhichUni to see which university is for you since rankings don't always imply it's better for you. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by undercxver
Lancaster has a better ranking for Mathematics than Exeter if that helps?

Have a look at this.

You can also use WhichUni to see which university is for you since rankings don't always imply it's better for you. :h:

True but in another league table exeter is slightly higher than lancaster. Exeter is russel group and I don't really know if that means something or not.
Original post by crayolaguy
True but in another league table exeter is slightly higher than lancaster. Exeter is russel group and I don't really know if that means something or not.

You need to ask yourself a few questions...

What will affect me while at university?

Spoiler

Have you read reviews?

Spoiler

Have you visited both universities on an open day?

Spoiler

Original post by undercxver
You need to ask yourself a few questions...

What will affect me while at university?

Spoiler

Have you read reviews?

Spoiler

Have you visited both universities on an open day?

Spoiler

This makes for a very valid point but I continue to stress to people that doing a degree is nothing like studying pre-university where the curriculum is set in stone. Rather you should be looking at course modules to find out if they interest you, particularly with mathematics which is such an extensive field and has so many field and sub-fields most of which you may never get to encounter. So it really is about yourself and finding out what you enjoy, because if you do not enjoy your degree, you will struggle. I struggled to stay motivated during my degree due to the type of mathematics which was being taught, I did not find it as challenging or exciting as other kinds.
Original post by ZeroVectorSystem
This makes for a very valid point but I continue to stress to people that doing a degree is nothing like studying pre-university where the curriculum is set in stone. Rather you should be looking at course modules to find out if they interest you, particularly with mathematics which is such an extensive field and has so many field and sub-fields most of which you may never get to encounter. So it really is about yourself and finding out what you enjoy, because if you do not enjoy your degree, you will struggle. I struggled to stay motivated during my degree due to the type of mathematics which was being taught, I did not find it as challenging or exciting as other kinds.

Whilst I do agree with you, it would be hard for someone who has never studied these fields to know which they'd enjoy. I think a good idea is to choose a degree that is flexible, with options in many areas.
Original post by morgan8002
Whilst I do agree with you, it would be hard for someone who has never studied these fields to know which they'd enjoy. I think a good idea is to choose a degree that is flexible, with options in many areas.

That is very true, whilst I was in my a-levels, I had very little to no guidance on such matters, even from teachers who did degrees in maths/computer science and engineering. I would advise reading around various topics on a very light level to see how you feel about them and then ask yourself what it is you like about maths and try to find a common ground. For example, I love statistical and probability theory in the pure sense, I find it tedious when applied to finance, but I love statistical physics. I personally feel there needs to be an increased awareness about higher learning from a young age, particularly in the sciences which are very much interdisciplinary nowadays.
Academically, they're pretty closely matched. Neither's an awful course (though Lancaster somehow manages to go an entire year without mentioning groups).
Reply 8
Groups?
Original post by M14B
Groups?

Probably the most fundamental underlying structure in algebra (sorry, semigroup theorists and universal algebraists, but nobody actually learns about that stuff early enough to be relevant).

Quick Reply

Latest