The Student Room Group

Warwick university investigates racist slurs scrawled on student's bananas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chopinfan
This is your argument:

"Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit."

Whilst being kidnapped is obviously a more distressing ordeal, your argument is trying to humiliate someone for being distressed due to a racially prejudiced attack. You're basically saying that because other people have had more distressing events happen to them, she has no right to feel fearful at what happened. That's like saying to someone who says they're happy with what they have that they shouldn't be happy because other people have it better...

If someone has the audacity to insult her like that in her own flat, then who knows what else they could to do her. Also, why would I have a very stereotyped view of white people when I am white myself? That makes no sense at all.

My argument is with the exaggeration of the issue. I can understand that it could be distressing, but not incredibly. Don't assume.

What else might they do, write coon on an orange? And but a picture of Hitler on her freezer door?

You can have a stereotyped view on any race no matter your race. Just because you are white and haven't experienced racial discrimination doesn't mean other white people haven't. I for one have experienced it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleMissMay
Coming from someone from Bootle, yay :biggrin:

:five:
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
It never is.

Guess we shall agree to disagree.
This situation seems a bit more complex than meets the eye tbh. Surely no one who's she's been living with for a couple of months now would be this overt and blatant with their racism?

We all know racists are cowards. So surely no young person who got into Warwick and has and understanding of social media would leave such damning proof of their racist abuse for her to find, inevitably report and not expect any major blowback. Surely the Uni, knowing about the media interest and outrage would have updated us about how the situation is being dealt. ie punishments
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Who is "them"? I thought she doesn't know who did it

oh go away troll
Original post by _icecream
oh go away troll

troll =/= someone I disagree with

It's a genuine question. I thought she didn't know who did it. Also, violence solves nothing in such a situation
Original post by chopinfan
I've never said that though :confused: You cannot rank different forms of discrimination against each other on importance as they are all unique. I said specifically that reverse racism is not a real problem as white people are the ones who hold most power and are the majority.

Being the majority does not guarantee protection from discrimination, otherwise apartheid couldn't have happened, although they didn't hold much power.

If no form of discrimination is greater or worse than another then surely the fact that racism against whites is a rarity given that it is not an immunity from discrimination or abuse.
Original post by sevchenko
This situation seems a bit more complex than meets the eye tbh. Surely no one who's she's been living with for a couple of months now would be this overt and blatant with their racism?

We all know racists are cowards. So surely no young person who got into Warwick and has and understanding of social media would leave such damning proof of their racist abuse for her to find, inevitably report and not expect any major blowback. Surely the Uni, knowing about the media interest and outrage would have updated us about how the situation is being dealt. ie punishments

I did find it interesting that she tweeted "disappointed it took a Twitter escalation in order for you to respond".

What is a Twitter escalation? What she's saying is that she tweeted about it before the university had an opportunity to respond in full, and I'm betting she didn't wait very long at all.

I've worked in university administration, I know they take this kind of thing extremely seriously (and they have a legal obligation to do so as part of their Public Sector Equality Duty). They tend to be quite methodical and investigate carefully, so I'm skeptical of her claim that she needed to tweet about it to the world.

I think that's what she wanted to do from the start
Original post by TSR Mustafa
My dismissal of their human value is substantiated , unlike racists.

Pray tell how it is any more substantiated?

You are right. There's more to it that meets the eye. After thinking about it, it seems as though the culprit is just one of those dickhead jokers that do mean things to their flat mates for the lulz.
According to some people in this thread **** like this happens in uni all the time (i.e. Taking a **** in someone's fruit bowl)
I'm starting to think it's a 'prank' gone horribly wrong.
But still I'm glad this got the media attention. It'll discourage pricks from playing these kinds of 'pranks' on their flat mates. Whether racial or otherwise, it's disgusting and shows the person wasn't brought up well if that's their idea of a 'prank'.

Also @Wired_1800 whilst I agree with most of your post especially the bit about the useless white vs EM war, it was definitely an overreaction on the part of the petition makers to target the uni. It's not as if Warwick officials are conspiring with racists or something. I personally think the university reacted well to the whole thing and have commenced an investigation. I don't think it's really fair to blame the uni when the only person to blame is the culprit.
ITT: White people try and convince everyone that racism is a figment of our imagination. What a a cesspool this site has become!
Original post by Silver Arrow
ITT: White people try and convince everyone that racism is a figment of our imagination. What a a cesspool this site has become!

Become... Always has been.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
So surely no young person who got into Warwick and has and understanding of social media would leave such damning proof of their racist abuse for her to find, inevitably report and not expect any major blowback.

Really? Looks like typical "I'm-untouchable" public school boy behaviour to me.
Original post by llys
Really? Looks like typical "I'm-untouchable" public school boy behaviour to me.

It just generally seems people get alot more overt with racism on nights out, they get alot more brazen when they've had a couple of drinks and are out in numbers. During the day it alot more causal and covert. Basically small groups being racist the most common method i've found is alot of causal racism going on via snapchat between friends who'll never say anything.

Just hope the person/s responsible name is dropped and that they're expelled. I dunno why the girl herself hasn't name names of her flatmates.
It's unpleasant, but I don't approve of kicking people out of uni for this. Uni 'lads' do stupid, unpleasant **** all the time. They get slapped on the wrist, everyone gets over it.
It just generally seems people get alot more overt with racism on nights out, they get alot more brazen when they've had a couple of drinks and are out in numbers. During the day it alot more causal and covert. Basically small groups being racist the most common method i've found is alot of causal racism going on via snapchat between friends who'll never say anything.

Just hope the person/s responsible name is dropped and that they're expelled. I dunno why the girl herself hasn't name names of her flatmates.

:rofle: good luck with that, people have been retained after doing much worse.
Original post by DiddyDec
You used it completely wrong. It isn't micro at all. It is overt aggression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know someone's argument has fallen through when they start pointing out technicalities in word use or grammar. I apologise for my incorrect use of micro-aggression, however I still believe the rest of my point stands :L
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
You know someone's argument has fallen through when they start pointing out technicalities in word use or grammar. I apologise for my incorrect use of micro-aggression, however I still believe the rest of my point stands :L

You raised other points?
Original post by DiddyDec
You raised other points?

There's no point substantiating that with a response, obviously a good few people agreed that I had. You just can't admit that your stance was insensitive and ignorant, and you'll try to refute it in your next reply to me now, so I'll just leave this fruitless conversation now.
Assuming she hasn't fabricated it, and I really hope she hasn't, people shouldn't be writing this off as some minor incident. This is hateful slurs being written on someone's food, it should be taken very seriously by the university. I mean at football grounds when we have players chanting monkey noises and throwing bananas they can be banned for years if not life from the stadium, why shouldn't the same action be taken here? University might be more serious than going to a football ground but....don't write ****** on a black girls food if you don't want to be kicked off the course.

I'm a white guy myself but other white guys saying she's stupid to overreact really aren't thinking what it's like when the shoe is on the other foot. If historically white people had been marginalized by blacks and you were living in a black majority country, you then have your black flatmates starting to write very offensive racial slurs on your things, is that really an atmosphere you want to be in? She has no reason to think things won't escalate and I wouldn't blame her for immediately wanting to change her living arrangements if it cannot be worked out who was responsible.

Whoever did it is a utter prick, name and shame, they'll probably want to leave without being kicked off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending