The Student Room Group

how is it possible to have your own flat and do teacher training?

so im thinking about going to university to do teacher training, but the only thing that is stopping me is the idea of living in halls. I really don't want to but not sure if it is actually possible to have a flat and study. any help would be greatful thankyou
Original post by naomijordan
so im thinking about going to university to do teacher training, but the only thing that is stopping me is the idea of living in halls. I really don't want to but not sure if it is actually possible to have a flat and study. any help would be greatful thankyou

If its a pgce course then assuming you have above a 2:1, you d get the usual student finance and a government bursary on top so you should be able to afford rent or at least a studio somewhere.
Original post by naomijordan

Two things here
1) Many PGCErs moving away from home will opt for a house share with fellow PGCE or postgrad students for a quieter living environment.
2) Whether you can afford a place just for you depends on how much finance you get. Student finance is the same as for undergrad- based on household income with the same rules. However there are teacher training bursaries https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/bursaries-and-funding, some of which are a very good sum of money and would comfortably enable you to rent your own flat for a year outside London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending