The Student Room Group

Salaried teaching courses

I'm 40 and thinking of applying to teach. As I have mortgage and bills to pay I would ideally like the salaried route can someone advise how to get on these courses in the UK ? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi, as far as I know most teacher training courses are non-salaried. I can't speak for the rest of UK, but there are universities here in Scotland that allow you to do the course part time, instead of full time, so you could work alongside it. However, I don't know if a student loan/ bursary would cover a part time course so this is something you'd have to look into.

Personally, I'm starting my teacher training this August at 32 - I will need to continue paying rent and bills on our cottage (so similar to a mortgage), as well as student accommodation for term-time. I've calculated that my awarded student loan and bursary will -just- cover costs and no more, along side some money I have in savings to see me through the year.

Look into different educational grants and funding that you might be able to apply to in your area, as that could help to cover costs. :smile: Long-term though even in my probationary year I will be earning more than I am now, so it's worth the short-term budgeting to get through it! I'm sorry I can't be more help. x
Original post by EarlyGrey
Hi, as far as I know most teacher training courses are non-salaried.

Completely incorrect. There are plenty of salaried routes to train in England. However, people often think the PGCE route is better with the salaried routes not having the greatest feedback from many.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Goldengirl485
I'm 40 and thinking of applying to teach. As I have mortgage and bills to pay I would ideally like the salaried route can someone advise how to get on these courses in the UK ? Thanks in advance!

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/steps-to-become-a-teacher

Avoid schemes such as Teach First
Reply 4
Hi, as far as I know most teacher training courses are non-salaried. I can't speak for the rest of UK, but there are universities here in Scotland that allow you to do the course part time, instead of full time, so you could work alongside it. However, I don't know if a student loan/ bursary would cover a part time course so this is something you'd have to look into.

Personally, I'm starting my teacher training this August at 32 - I will need to continue paying rent and bills on our cottage (so similar to a mortgage), as well as student accommodation for term-time. I've calculated that my awarded student loan and bursary will -just- cover costs and no more, along side some money I have in savings to see me through the year.

Look into different educational grants and funding that you might be able to apply to in your area, as that could help to cover costs. :smile: Long-term though even in my probationary year I will be earning more than I am now, so it's worth the short-term budgeting to get through it! I'm sorry I can't be more help. x

Probationary year'? The ECT takes two years ... there are many salaried routes into teaching
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Probationary year'? The ECT takes two years ... there are many salaried routes into teaching

I am speaking from Scotland, where you have 1 years training followed by a year probationary. I did state that in my post.
Reply 6
I am speaking from Scotland, where you have 1 years training followed by a year probationary. I did state that in my post.

Yes but how do you know the OP is in Scotland ...
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Yes but how do you know the OP is in Scotland ...

If they're not in Scotland, they could simply disregard my post. But perhaps it might help someone else visiting the forums that has the same (or a similar) question. :smile:
I'm only trying to be helpful.
Reply 8
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I am in Lancashire, England in answer to your question. I think part time is a option to my dilemma, I have sourced a few 18 month courses! Trouble is, I already have my undergraduate student loan still to pay off so getting more financial help is out of the question, I would have to do this with own finances
Reply 9
Original post by Uni_student3132
Completely incorrect. There are plenty of salaried routes to train in England. However, people often think the PGCE route is better with the salaried routes not having the greatest feedback from many.

Are you saying to not go down the PGCE route ? And I expected you to say that about the salaried option but I guess you are getting paid and you tuition fee paid for
Reply 10
Original post by Goldengirl485
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I am in Lancashire, England in answer to your question. I think part time is a option to my dilemma, I have sourced a few 18 month courses! Trouble is, I already have my undergraduate student loan still to pay off so getting more financial help is out of the question, I would have to do this with own finances

Didyou check the link I posted? Whuch subject are you planning to teach as there are bursaries for shortage subjects. You can search for salaried courses from the link. I you can get a bursary then I'd advise a traditional PGCE but if not then check the provider carefully. [|Ofsted report].
Reply 11
(Original post by Muttley79)Didyou check the link I posted? Whuch subject are you planning to teach as there are bursaries for shortage subjects. You can search for salaried courses from the link. I you can get a bursary then I'd advise a traditional PGCE but if not then check the provider carefully. [|Ofsted report].

Yes I did, that is the route I am taking, it allows me to submit 4 applications on there
I could possibly teach Spanish as I have qualifications and you get a bursary teaching at secondary school level
So far I have 1 unsalaried post and 1 Spanish secondary post that I am applying to. In regards to salaried posts I am getting feedback today that you need to be already working at a school BUT its a numbers game so keep trying :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending