The Student Room Group

A levels or UAL Extended Diploma?

When I finish A Levels I want to do a foundation degree in contemporary fine art. However, I've now noticed that the Extended Diploma in Art and Design allows me to get onto course and so would A levels. So now I'm stuck. What would be the advantage of taking the Extended Diploma instead of A Levels? My A Level choices are Art, Photography and English Literature.
Original post by hannahlouiseparr
When I finish A Levels I want to do a foundation degree in contemporary fine art. However, I've now noticed that the Extended Diploma in Art and Design allows me to get onto course and so would A levels. So now I'm stuck. What would be the advantage of taking the Extended Diploma instead of A Levels? My A Level choices are Art, Photography and English Literature.

If you're 100% sure that you want to study an Art degree then an Extended Diploma is a good plan. However the A levels will give you a more transferable qualification if you change your mind later on (even for some jobs the ExDip isn't recognised as an A level equivalent). Eng Lit A level is an excellent addition and bonus when you get to your degree and find you have to write long essays.

The most common route into Art degrees is to take A levels and then take a 1 year Art foundation diploma (ie not the extended diploma) to give time to experiment and develop a portfolio.

The decision really comes down to you and your level of certainty about what you want to study/do later on in life.

Quick Reply

Latest