The Student Room Group

Article: How to spot a helicopter parent

You can read the article here.

You can read the original thread here and you can read some advice on dealing with overbearing parents here.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is pretty self explanatory, the article points out really obvious things
Hands up: Qualified helicopter parent. Leaving kids the space to experience failure (and its consequences), is one of the most difficult parts of parenting, to me.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Hands up: Qualified helicopter parent. Leaving kids the space to experience failure (and its consequences), is one of the most difficult parts of parenting, to me.

I thought the most difficult part was the constant disappointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lolz
Wow... I just couldn't deal with it if my parents did that... thank god there's a mutual feeling of pleasure of me not being at home, and not being close to home!
Original post by mobbsy91
Wow... I just couldn't deal with it if my parents did that... thank god there's a mutual feeling of pleasure of me not being at home, and not being close to home!

Distance is not a barrier, to the highly qualified helicopter parent.
Distance is not a barrier, to the highly qualified helicopter parent.

Thankfully mine are not highly qualified - the extent of our contact is texts/phone calls which are all too easy to ignore!

How did it become the difficult part of parenting? I think this is the challenging part. Thanks

It's like "learning by doing" technique.
Sounds like my worst nightmare...
Reply 10
I'm not at the stage of moving out, but I've gone away on my own with some group or other for at least one night every year since I was about 6. I think mum's used to my absence and she knows not to call and text too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coming from a dad who has been accused of "helicopter parenting" on occasion, it can be pretty agonizing to let things go. I have done my best, even when there are silences of months, and only rarely have pushed our offspring to respond. I guess it is part of the process we simply must accept of separation. Friends have said, you lose them in their 20s, but they come back. We respect it, but of course, we worry. She graduates in June, her own life awaits to be made.
You do realise that the correct meaning of a 'helicopter' parent, is one that does his or her child's work for them, in order to boost their grades??
Original post by john2054
You do realise that the correct meaning of a 'helicopter' parent, is one that does his or her child's work for them, in order to boost their grades??

The "correct" version? Doing a kid's homework (or checking it incessantly) is never something we did.

I always took it as referring to the compulsion to "swoop in from above" whenever there is a problem, not matter how banal. In the US, that goes so far as to telephone the president of a university because your child has a roommate who leaves her boxes of chinese takeout around too long. This has actually occurred.

Myself, I just worry, but I don't intervene. Still, the joke around the house is that I am a helicopter parent.
Original post by alcibiade
The "correct" version? Doing a kid's homework (or checking it incessantly) is never something we did.

I always took it as referring to the compulsion to "swoop in from above" whenever there is a problem, not matter how banal. In the US, that goes so far as to telephone the president of a university because your child has a roommate who leaves her boxes of chinese takeout around too long. This has actually occurred.

Myself, I just worry, but I don't intervene. Still, the joke around the house is that I am a helicopter parent.

I take it you're a parent :biggrin: :tongue:

Does your daughter have TSR, and do you know what account his hers!? :wink:
I don't know if she has a TSR account, but I would doubt it. Indeed, I didn't discover this group until after she was at university. She is so busy she is rarely online, at least in any way that I can see. Alas.
Original post by mobbsy91
I take it you're a parent :biggrin: :tongue:

Does your daughter have TSR, and do you know what account his hers!? :wink:

I am a parent, and my kid is at junior school, and no i don't think she is on tsr, and i will probably be six feet under when she is.

But be this as it may, I agree with the idea of parents helping kids with their homework, talking and reading it through with them for example.

but what i don't agree with is when they do it for them. so for example she did a powerpoint presentation, which i thought was very good for someone of her age, then she said a couple of other kids in her class had slides whcih were clearly professionally done.

I'm sorry but if this doesn't stick of 'parental assistance' what does???
Original post by john2054
I am a parent, and my kid is at junior school, and no i don't think she is on tsr, and i will probably be six feet under when she is.

Fair enough!

But be this as it may, I agree with the idea of parents helping kids with their homework, talking and reading it through with them for example.

but what i don't agree with is when they do it for them. so for example she did a powerpoint presentation, which i thought was very good for someone of her age, then she said a couple of other kids in her class had slides whcih were clearly professionally done.

I'm sorry but if this doesn't stick of 'parental assistance' what does???

Definitely agree with you on this... Especially since helping them out to an extent is what a teacher might be doing in class... It does really annoy me when I used to see stuff handed in, and the guy would just be like, 'yeh, my dad did this for me'...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending