The Student Room Group

Year abroad or Year in industry?

Which one would you say is the better of the two options? I would really like to go abroad and explore a new culture, living as an exchange student would truly be a once in a lifetime opportunity. However at the same time i don't want myself lacking experience in the industry that i want to go into (business/finance).

Another possible option would be to do a placement abroad but the social aspects of this would concern me as i would basically be working and living abroad by myself?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Industry will make It a lot easier to be employed, Year abroad will probably be funner
Reply 2
Original post by TercioOfParma
Industry will make It a lot easier to be employed, Year abroad will probably be funner

Yeah definitely. An argument is that you will be working majority of your life after graduating so it would be ideal to take up the opportunity of going abroad. I could potentially make up the lack of experience by doing an internship or two.
Industry is really valuable experience, however if you're able to get some shorter internships over the summer I would take the year out. The year abroad is really a once in a lifetime type opportunity, I regret not doing one.
Original post by Kash24411
Yeah definitely. An argument is that you will be working majority of your life after graduating so it would be ideal to take up the opportunity of going abroad. I could potentially make up the lack of experience by doing an internship or two.

Still, if you want to be more employable going for a year in industry is probably a better idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending