The Student Room Group

Science for my A-levels?

Can I take Biology for my A-levels and Physics for AS-levels even if I haven't taken triple or double science for my GCSEs? I'm doing core and additional science (which is mandatory) and I really regret not taking triple science for my GCSEs but I can't change my subjects now as I'm already at the end of year 10.
Will I be able to choose Biology/Physics for my A-levels or will I not be able to because I haven't chosen triple science? My predicted grade for science is an A*, if that helps.
Original post by motionsense
Can I take Biology for my A-levels and Physics for AS-levels even if I haven't taken triple or double science for my GCSEs? I'm doing core and additional science (which is mandatory) and I really regret not taking triple science for my GCSEs but I can't change my subjects now as I'm already at the end of year 10.
Will I be able to choose Biology/Physics for my A-levels or will I not be able to because I haven't chosen triple science? My predicted grade for science is an A*, if that helps.

I'm not sure about about that, but even I'm doing core and additional and we don't have an option to chose triple so you should be able to I think

Honestly it's fine. Most colleges don't expect students to have took triple science and when you do start your a levels you will not be at any disadvantage to others who did triple at gcse, a B grade at gcse is sufficient to take a science at a level

If your still concerned maybe you could ask to do further science on top of core and additional. This is what my friend did at high school.

Hope this helps.
Yes o course you can still take science A levels with only double science (That is core and additional btw). Many schools dont even offer triple anyway so it would be discriminatory :smile: Get your A* and you'll do just as well as everyone else who has done triple

I personally would not recommend it at all - especially for Biology since at each level the difficulty increases for the GCSE - especially for Biology
But teachers do tend to re-teach the stuff sometimes - but in my sixth form they expected us to know all the GCSE stuff anyways :/

No you dont need triple science, you just an A/A* in core and additional and you will be fine. Most sixth forms require two As. Triple science is just useful as a head start because most things that you do in triple come up in some AS modules.

Quick Reply

Latest