The Student Room Group

Is a PDF an image file format

I've been applying for jobs and submitted the cover letter and CVs by PDF files. I don't recall any saying their key word scanning system can't scan PDF files except 1 job application form. Just need to know if I should have submitted all applications as a word document? I thought PDF was the most formal and standard format but its useless if the system can't scan it for key words
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dominoes
Because if it is that was a fuck up...
I thought PDF was standard and if it is an image format it says it can't scan it

It is good for vector graphics though, for instance if you make an illustration with text/line art using the correct software, and save it as a pdf, you will be able to zoom in as much as you like and it will still be pin sharp.
Original post by Associativity
It is good for vector graphics though, for instance if you make an illustration with text/line art using the correct software, and save it as a pdf, you will be able to zoom in as much as you like and it will still be pin sharp.

Its a cover letter tho
Its a cover letter tho

I think you edited your post, and now I don't quite understand. Are you trying to scan something?

If you are exporting a cover letter that you have typed up, then PDF is a good choice, since (assuming you used truetype fonts) all of the text will be stored in vector format, so that you can zoom in on it without it pixellating. If you are scanning a cover letter that you have handwritten (not sure that's such a modern thing to do nowadays), then your image will not be vector, so it does not really matter which file type you choose. You could choose PDF, or you could choose something like JPEG which is compressed (not sure if PDF images are compressed or not) so that the file takes up less space.
Just save it as an image format then.
Original post by Associativity
I think you edited your post, and now I don't quite understand. Are you trying to scan something?

If you are exporting a cover letter that you have typed up, then PDF is a good choice, since (assuming you used truetype fonts) all of the text will be stored in vector format, so that you can zoom in on it without it pixellating. If you are scanning a cover letter that you have handwritten (not sure that's such a modern thing to do nowadays), then your image will not be vector, so it does not really matter which file type you choose. You could choose PDF, or you could choose something like JPEG which is compressed (not sure if PDF images are compressed or not) so that the file takes up less space.

Ah yeah sorry lol, basically I mean I've been applying for jobs and submitted the cover letter and CVs by PDF files. I don't recall any saying their key word scanning system can't scan PDF files except 1 job application form. Just need to know if I should have submitted all applications as a word document? I thought PDF was the most formal, but its useless if the system can't scan it for key words.
Ah yeah sorry lol, basically I mean I've been applying for jobs and submitted the cover letter and CVs by PDF files. I don't recall any saying their key word scanning system can't scan PDF files except 1 job application form. Just need to know if I should have submitted all applications as a word document? I thought PDF was the most formal, but its useless if the system can't scan it for key words.

Tbh id use word document, but they should be able to deal with both. If you have a word alternative then its hardly a big deal is it. take you a few clicks to sort out.
Reply 7
Pdf is a document format. It is a standard format to submit CV's in. The advantage over otherwise submitting a Word document is that the format will remain exactly how you submitted it and not shift margins depending on the program the recipient uses to open it in.

So, you should be fine.

Ahh, sorry, I wouldn't know. I would have said it would be pretty stupid if it didn't work with PDFs, but did work with word. PDF runs on everything, but word wont run on Linux, so PDF is more "Portable" (PDF actually stands for Portable Document Format, its intended to work on everything), and you'd have thought they'd have made it work for this. I'd generally say it's best to send documents as pdfs for this reason, but if they've said they don't work then use something that does. I guess you could always phone and ask what the best file format to use is.

A Word document is the standard business format. There is absolutely no reason to .pdf application documents. Companies will do that themselves if they have an internal distribution service via HR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending