The Student Room Group

University in Scotland and Eligibility

Just a question regarding eligibility. I am an English student, and moved away to Scotland just to attend a Scottish university. I am currently in my final year. However, my parent moved up here in my second year just to help me out, and will be moving back down to England in a few months. So although I only moved up to Scotland for my degree, because my parent moved up here to help me, I'm assuming I won't be classified as 'ordinarily resident in England'. I've been accepted onto a masters course in England and will be staying there afterwards.
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Just a question regarding eligibility. I am an English student, and moved away to Scotland just to attend a Scottish university. I am currently in my final year. However, my parent moved up here in my second year just to help me out, and will be moving back down to England in a few months. So although I only moved up to Scotland for my degree, because my parent moved up here to help me, I'm assuming I won't be classified as 'ordinarily resident in England'. I've been accepted onto a masters course in England and will be staying there afterwards.

Hi Tsukurutazaki,

Our residency requirements state that you must have lived in the UK or EU for three years prior to the start of your course and that you live in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course.

If you'll be living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course then you will be eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan.

SFE students can't have moved specifically to England from elsewhere in the UK for the purpose of completing a postgraduate course. This means that if you have not been resident in England immediately prior to the start of the academic year we may ask you to prove that you have moved back for reasons other than study or that your break in residency was temporary.

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sarah SFE
Hi Tsukurutazaki,

Our residency requirements state that you must have lived in the UK or EU for three years prior to the start of your course and that you live in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course.

If you'll be living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course then you will be eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan.

SFE students can't have moved specifically to England from elsewhere in the UK for the purpose of completing a postgraduate course. This means that if you have not been resident in England immediately prior to the start of the academic year we may ask for you to prove that you have moved back for reasons other than study or that your break in residency was temporary.

Thanks

Thank you for your answer. So what you're saying is that as long as I've lived in the UK for three years prior to starting the masters course, it doesn't have to be the three years prior to starting, if that makes sense? I lived in England between ages 0-10, and then 17-19 (A levels prior to university), and will be moving back to England a couple of months before the course and staying afterwards. So just to clarify that given my situation I'm still eligible? Thank you for your help!
Original post by Sarah SFE
Hi Tsukurutazaki,

SFE students can't have moved specifically to England from elsewhere in the UK for the purpose of completing a postgraduate course. This means that if you have not been resident in England immediately prior to the start of the academic year we may ask for you to prove that you have moved back for reasons other than study or that your break in residency was temporary.

Thanks

Also, how can I prove that my break from living in England is temporary? Is it sufficient to show that I attended a college in England before spending four years in Scotland to study and then moving back to England after completing that course of study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending