The Student Room Group

Will I make the right decision/brighton university

So I have an unconditional offer from university of brighton in biological sciences but I really do not know if the uni is good on that course. I am stressing a lot and it is nerve wracking. Is this uni worth the money? Will I get a good job after? I am planning to a masters After.

Also should I take a risk and apply using clearing later? Is this even possible because I have already firmed my unconditional offer?

I am thinking applying to (if I can) brunel university London (psychology) or uni of lincoln. Any experience on this unis? Are they on clearing usually?

Sorry for the many questions. I just really scared.
Original post by Käenpesä
So I have an unconditional offer from university of brighton in biological sciences but I really do not know if the uni is good on that course. I am stressing a lot and it is nerve wracking. Is this uni worth the money? Will I get a good job after? I am planning to a masters After.

Also should I take a risk and apply using clearing later? Is this even possible because I have already firmed my unconditional offer?

I am thinking applying to (if I can) brunel university London (psychology) or uni of lincoln. Any experience on this unis? Are they on clearing usually?

If you have a look at the graduate employment data for you course it could help you make a decision. Yes it is still possible to be put into clearing at this point but you have to be prepared for the risk of not going to uni this year if a place isn't available.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you have a look at the graduate employment data for you course it could help you make a decision. Yes it is still possible to be put into clearing at this point but you have to be prepared for the risk of not going to uni this year if a place isn't available.

Or Extra?
Original post by jneill
Or Extra?

Sorry long day:tongue:
Reply 4

Extra may be option too. First check with some alternate universities to see if they have places and would be likely to make an offer, and then if you want to proceed, you need to reject your current offer(s) and apply to the new university via Extra.

It's less risky than waiting for Clearing.
Go to Brighton. Its a great Uni and being a student in Brighton will be a wonderful experience.

The 'what Uni?' thing is something that school leavers obsess about - and actually most employers and all other Unis don't give much thought to. If you have a 2i or First you have as much chance of getting a Masters place as anyone else.

PS. Its very common to get cold feet at this stage! Dont worry, lots of other people are starting to get the same feelings. Going to uni is a big step - and a bit scary/exciting. Once you get to Brighton and get involved in Freshers Week and start your course, you'll wonder what you ever doubted about the place - promise.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for answering!

I really like Brighton but the city itself is very expensive and accommodation also. I do also have this weird feeling of not wanting to go there.

What do you think of lincoln uni? Its ranked pretty ok on biological sciences and its growing every year.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for answering!

I really like Brighton but the city itself is very expensive and accommodation also.

Hmm... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/renting/11404900/Welcome-to-the-UKs-most-expensive-city-for-students.html

Lincoln is 3rd relatively most expensive.
Brighton is 4th cheapest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Sorry I am not from the uk so I didnt know that but I though it would be :/
Reply 9
Sorry I am not from the uk so I didnt know that but I though it would be :/

Well it's certainly true that Brighton is expense and Lincoln is cheap, but the article is saying that for students it may be less clear cut.

Brighton is a major commuter centre for people who work in London (and is a well-known seaside destination in it's own right), whereas Lincoln is, um, in the middle of nowhere...(apologies to any Lincoln people!). I've never been to Lincoln so really can't comment on it much!

Have you visited either of them?
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Well it's certainly true that Brighton is expense and Lincoln is cheap, but the article is saying that for students it may be less clear cut.

Brighton is a major commuter centre for people who work in London (and is a well-known seaside destination in it's own right), whereas Lincoln is, um, in the middle of nowhere...(apologies to any Lincoln people!). I've never been to Lincoln so really can't comment on it much!

Have you visited either of them?

I really care more about how good the university is and how most likely I will get a good start. I don't know if brighton university can give me that. Also Lincoln's biology course has much more useful modules and that interest me.

No I havent visited either of them. Its mainly because I live in another country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I really care more about how good the university is and how most likely I will get a good start. I don't know if brighton university can give me that. Also Lincoln's biology course has much more useful modules and that interest me.

No I havent visited either of them. Its mainly because I live in another country.

Well ultimately the advice is to pick the course you prefer. They are both "mid table" universities.

But I would just say if I was planning on spending 3 years somewhere I think I'd try to visit... Finland (?) isn't that far away...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah thanks!

So I have now contacted the uni of brighton and told them to decline my already accepted unconditional offer. Can they even do it? Or should I also contact ucas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending