The Student Room Group

How to get rid of self harm scars?

So I'm going to the beach in the summer holidays and I'm going to be wearing a bikini. I have pretty visible self harm scars on my thighs and I'm panicking over how to hide them because I don't want my parents to see that I used to self harm in that area.

Does Bio-oil work? I got it recently but not sure if it works or not.

Scroll to see replies

cocoa butter & pure vitamin e oil help fade scars but depending on the age of the scars it can be 6 months to a couple of years before they are faded enough to not be noticed. You can place Bio Oil on them every day to reduce the scarring.
Reply 2
Original post by PrincessZara
cocoa butter & pure vitamin e oil help fade scars but depending on the age of the scars it can be 6 months to a couple of years before they are faded enough to not be noticed. You can place Bio Oil on them every day to reduce the scarring.

I'm 18 in June.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18 in June.

Yh, You should try bio oil
it works well but if they are bad scars then it they may always be noticeable, wear shorts?
Use tipex
I've used hydrogen peroxide to fade a burn mark I got from my laptop's vent :biggrin: it was noticeably fast (5mins).

There is a second more long term solution, stop cutting yourself.
Original post by XOR_

There is a second more long term solution, stop cutting yourself.

Because it is totally that easy.

OP - I would go for regular applications of bio-oil.
So I'm going to the beach in the summer holidays and I'm going to be wearing a bikini. I have pretty visible self harm scars on my thighs and I'm panicking over how to hide them because I don't want my parents to see that I used to self harm in that area.

Don't cut yourself in the first place o.o......

maybe wear man shorts? maybe weird but oh well..
Original post by thefatone

Why are you being so insensitive?
Original post by ivybridge

Exactly,
it annoys me when people say 'stop cutting' if it was that easy then people wouldn't do it in the first place but it is hard to resist because it is unbelievingly satisfying.
plus those comments are irrelevant on this thread because OP states 'used to harm in that area'
Original post by ivybridge

it's similar to XOR_ 's reply essentially stop cutting yourself in the future to prevent further and more scars.

Phrased in a different way

Bio oil will work to an extent in making the scars less visible, but they will always be there im afraid. I have a butt ton of scars and i do find that cocoa butter, bio oil and exposure to sunlight (which i know can be scary) help in reducing the visibility.
Original post by thefatone

maybe wear man shorts? maybe weird but oh well..

That's an ignorant and typical view. It's very difficult to stop self harming. It took me about 4 years to get over it.
That's an ignorant and typical view. It's very difficult to stop self harming. It took me about 4 years to get over it.

sorry :/ my joke went too far
Original post by picklescamp
Bio oil will work to an extent in making the scars less visible, but they will always be there im afraid. I have a butt ton of scars and i do find that cocoa butter, bio oil and exposure to sunlight (which i know can be scary) help in reducing the visibility.

Would coconut oil help?
You've been given excellent suggestions to reduce the visibility of your scars and I'm sorry that self-harming is something you struggle with :console:.

Have you considered concealer? Specifically waterproof concealer if you'll be in a wet environment.
Stop self harming and use bio oil
Reply 18
I hope you've spoken to someone about it, just to make sure that you're in the right frame of mind now x

For the scarring, bio-oil seems to work wonders on my skin
If the scars are going to be exposed to the sun (I know that's kind of what the thread isn't about) but if so, make sure to use a shitload of sun cream on them. Scars have no melanin so it can be dangerous to expose them to strong sunlight. I would recommend board shorts - try somewhere like TKMaxx, they have like Roxy and Quiksilver which can look pretty cool.

Also: well done on stopping. i know it's tough so it's great you've managed. :smile:

Latest