The Student Room Group

Still undecided on uni degree

So the deadline for making a firm choice is coming up really soon. But I'm still not 100% sure that I want to do the degree I applied for which is Creative Writing and Journalism. I also applied for another degree- English Language and Linguistics. Looking from my AS grades, I can see that English is the best subject I perform in but I'm thinking of doing an Economics degree which I got C in AS for. Most unis demand an A in GCSE Maths which I have but I might not meet their other expectations as I have no A-Levels for Maths, but only Economics. I don't really have a passion in creative writing but my writing does get complimented by others. I do read the news a lot, however! So I did think the first degree I mentioned suited me. I was thinking I could be a journalist but I do see quite a few people unemployed when they do media related degrees. Slightly worried what the future holds for me.

Has anyone ever looked at their results and thought of changing their course by going into clearing? If I get a good grade in Economics (better than I thought or a better grade than English) I might think of switching.
You really need to be 100% sure of what you want to do, which it doesn't sound like you are. Have you talked to anyone at 6th form about this?

If this was me, I'd take a gap year and be sure of what I really want to do and then reapply. You don't have to go to uni now.
Like the person above I'd suggest taking a gap year :smile: But don't do a degree because you get the best grade in it - do it because you will enjoy it!
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
You really need to be 100% sure of what you want to do, which it doesn't sound like you are. Have you talked to anyone at 6th form about this?

If this was me, I'd take a gap year and be sure of what I really want to do and then reapply. You don't have to go to uni now.

I talked to a career advisor in my college. She said she can call Middlesex uni (which I'm thinking of making firm) and Westminster (my insurance uni) and ask them to change courses (I haven't made firm and insurance choices btw).

When I talked with her I sort of realised I tend to have love and hate relationships with all the subjects I do. Loved maths in secondary school but started hating it during my first year of sixth form which caused me to fail AS maths- so already I don't look like an impressive candidate for economics. The only subject I really loved and never hated was Art but I have no A-level in it.

I know I'm a creative person so I'm more suited to more open, creative subjects like Creative Writing.

I also talked with my mum about my future and she says she has hopes of opening a restaurant with me. I liked the idea.

So I'm stuck with a two-way/three-way situation- since I like Economics as well as English; even though there's some aspects of these subjects that I hate. But obviously, very few courses in London that offer both as a course. I was thinking of financial journalism as a potential career and now I think it's one I want to do.

However, since I'm quite an introvert- so I was concerned whether a course like English will be suited for me as its out of my comfort zone. But I do want to improve my oral/social skills for work.

I don't really want to be thinking of a gap year. I feel like I'll get lazy and become anti-social. I want to study from the get-go. It's what my advisor also suggested but my mum doesn't really want that for me. If I do a gap year, I'd have so much planning to do within a short period of time if I were to do something. Even if I were to take a gap year off, I don't think I'll be able to find what I really want to do. I already have work experience with a bank but I figured banking wasn't for me. But then I thought about investment banking... so I'm thinking of all these potential pathways but I have no idea which way to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Hai_Ann,

It is perfectly normal to have love hate relationships with all your subjects. The question at hand is which one is bearable. I can only say that the workload will at least double at university, so which course can you see yourself doing and developing yourself in. I feel that university is a place for you to learn and improve but also for yourself to grow. Feels like you have a lot of different options but still pinned down to the ground with the same focus point.

Given the situation I would suggest also taking a gap year to really think about what you want to do, because they may be alternatives you have not yet even considered. For example you made a point that you loved art, but do not have an A-level, therefore you cut that as an option for uni. I also understand you do not want to take a gap year, because you are afraid of becoming demotivated and want to keep moving along with the momentum. This I can relate to, as I was unsure of where I wanted to move on from at A-levels.

I think it may be worth looking into perhaps an art foundation course, because it would give you that taste of different pathways you could do. It is a one-year pre-degree course, equivalent to a gap year, and allows you to still be productive and could determine whether art is a potential pathway for you as well? :smile:
Check Here for example!

If you feel that after the course art isn't a path, than you can revert back towards the courses you first suggested, because it is still open. It can also give you a bit more time to think about where you would like to study and how you are suited for those courses. I initially did an art foundation because I wasn't sure what to do or where, I just knew at that point I really enjoyed doing art and so I decided that doing the course will give me more experience, more work and importantly more time for me to decide what I want. In the end I enjoyed it so much I stayed and here I am helping others who are in similar shoes.

The idea of opening a restaurant with your mother can be a good back-up and something you do on the side and go into full-time as well. As the comments above have already suggested, do what you feel suits you, not for the grade but something you enjoy.

I hope this helps!
Jay :biggrin:

Original post by Hai_Ann
I talked to a career advisor in my college. She said she can call Middlesex uni (which I'm thinking of making firm) and Westminster (my insurance uni) and ask them to change courses (I haven't made firm and insurance choices btw).

When I talked with her I sort of realised I tend to have love and hate relationships with all the subjects I do. Loved maths in secondary school but started hating it during my first year of sixth form which caused me to fail AS maths- so already I don't look like an impressive candidate for economics. The only subject I really loved and never hated was Art but I have no A-level in it.

I know I'm a creative person so I'm more suited to more open, creative subjects like Creative Writing.

I also talked with my mum about my future and she says she has hopes of opening a restaurant with me. I liked the idea.

So I'm stuck with a two-way/three-way situation- since I like Economics as well as English; even though there's some aspects of these subjects that I hate. But obviously, very few courses in London that offer both as a course. I was thinking of financial journalism as a potential career and now I think it's one I want to do.

However, since I'm quite an introvert- so I was concerned whether a course like English will be suited for me as its out of my comfort zone. But I do want to improve my oral/social skills for work.

I don't really want to be thinking of a gap year. I feel like I'll get lazy and become anti-social. I want to study from the get-go. It's what my advisor also suggested but my mum doesn't really want that for me. If I do a gap year, I'd have so much planning to do within a short period of time if I were to do something. Even if I were to take a gap year off, I don't think I'll be able to find what I really want to do. I already have work experience with a bank but I figured banking wasn't for me. But then I thought about investment banking... so I'm thinking of all these potential pathways but I have no idea which way to go.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest