The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Geography Paper 1 2016

Hey! I was just wondering how people did on the Geography Paper 1 exam, thought the case studies were a little difficult :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought the questions were harder than previous years but the case studies were ok (at least the population one was)

I thought theme 3 questions were difficult
Reply 2
Original post by roxy100
I thought the questions were harder than previous years but the case studies were ok (at least the population one was)

I thought theme 3 questions were difficult

Yeah, I agree, everyone always always to like the population questions :smile: at least thats what I found at my school
i messed up with question 5,6. forgot about only doing one in each section. question 5 was difficult though. 7 marker
Reply 4
Original post by S_Dodd
Yeah, I agree, everyone always always to like the population questions :smile: at least thats what I found at my school

So do i. Population was easy, weather and climate just the same (because I revised it). I had to invent some stuff for theme 3 on agriculture and energy, but I hope it goes unnoticed. I am praying for an a star. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by astonky
So do i. Population was easy, weather and climate just the same (because I revised it). I had to invent some stuff for theme 3 on agriculture and energy, but I hope it goes unnoticed. I am praying for an a star. :wink:

Haha, I just felt that they merged different sections of the syllabus into each section which they didn't do in previous years. So with the weather and climate one I missed it out cause I couldn't remember the weather instruments :frown:
Reply 6
Geography wasn't too bad imo.

What questions did everyone do?

I struggled with theme 3 - specifically the 5 marker on question 6 about why conservation is important (paraphrasing). I know its common sense but I just went so blank :frown:

I hope Friday's paper is easy. Anyone know how to revise for the skills paper?
Reply 7
Original post by DJShaji

I struggled with theme 3 - specifically the 5 marker on question 6 about why conservation is important (paraphrasing). I know its common sense but I just went so blank :frown:

I go blank on all the questions and then regain my 'lost knowledge' right after the exam -__- it's really annoying.
I've found some good tips about how to answer the questions on Friday's paper but otherwise it's just analysing and using maps
Reply 8
maybe i had different papers as you guys but i got migration , weather (very unexpected), river, energy and water.... LOL
Reply 9
Original post by nerdcry
maybe i had different papers as you guys but i got migration , weather (very unexpected), river, energy and water.... LOL

you might have had a different variant. We did 0460/12. It should say on your timetable
Hi, I think it was okayish... except for some questions. I did Question 1,4 and 5. but i bulshitted the question about what causes there to be a hot desert climate in equatorial regions..something like that... I feel that it was quite hard.. Paper 2 is soon :frown:(
Reply 11
Original post by Sneakypie
Hi, I think it was okayish... except for some questions. I did Question 1,4 and 5. but i bulshitted the question about what causes there to be a hot desert climate in equatorial regions..something like that... I feel that it was quite hard.. Paper 2 is soon :frown:(

I think everyone has ********ted at least one section of their Geography paper 1's :biggrin: Would be great to hear how the one on Friday goes as well (helps me know what kind of mark I could be expecting based on grade boundaries)
Reply 12
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like?
Could someone tell me what the grade boundaries for an A*, A etc please?
Reply 14
Original post by Nye2001
Could someone tell me what the grade boundaries for an A*, A etc please?

Well it changes every year but last year you needed 75% for A* and 66% for an A
I found the case studies okay. I did question 1 and Tanzania; question 3 and Felixstowe; question 5 and Nike. The coastal erosion one I had absolutely no idea on it at all, so I made one up.
Reply 16
Original post by S_Dodd
Well it changes every year but last year you needed 75% for A* and 66% for an A

They also divide your score for paper 1 by 1.77 to give it's weighting
Reply 17
could i ask why the entire thing is out of 220? paper one, two and coursework surely adds up to 195 so i don't get why it's 220
Reply 18
I did populatiom, weather climate and development. I found it really hard!!! Any tips for paper 2? Do you know where to find maps from other years?
Original post by DJShaji

yeh i found that pretty hard, then i found out someone from our school did 1,3 and 4, and i bet he's not the only one, I swear you were meant to answer 1 question from 1 and 2, 1 question from 3 and 4, and 1 question from 5 and 6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending