The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan looks set to be UK's most powerful Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises

Sadiq Khan looks set to be UK's most powerful Muslim

Ahem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_Khan_IV
Original post by pereira325
Okay fair enough- then the question is he a Muslim? I mean if he has his own imams telling him he's not then he kinda isn't. It's like being a Christian and having the Pope remove you from the church, yet still calling yourself a Christian.

Modern Islam doesn't have a figurehead like the Pope, imams are really just local leaders like vicars. If a vicar said that someone wasn't a Christian, I don't think it would carry much weight.
Eating pork and being muslim is so contradictory... like a hindu eating beef. They need to check their beliefs out, switch religions or have no religion ya know.

I have a Muslim friend who eats pork and a Hindu friend who eats beef. Safe to say, they are essentially atheists in all but name.
I mean if he has his own imams telling him he's not then he kinda isn't. It's like being a Christian and having the Pope remove you from the church, yet still calling yourself a Christian.

Okay. Even I will admit this. A fatwa from a random imam in Bradford is not equivalent to the Pope... it may tell something (but definitely not the full picture) about the nature of Islam as shown and propagated by this imam in particular... but to compare this to the Pope is just false equivalence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Luhar
Your daft comments about sharia law affecting Sadiq Khan's thought process, as BasicMistake said, even though he is a muslim it doesn't mean he gives a toss about sharia law.

OK fair enough. I can see why. There are some Ludacris things said in the Old Testament which most Christians don't believe so vice versa can apply.

Original post by chemting
Okay. Even I will admit this. A fatwa from a random imam in Bradford is not equivalent to the Pope... it may tell something (but definitely not the full picture) about the nature of Islam as shown and propagated by this imam in particular... but to compare this to the Pope is just false equivalence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree- I don't know enough about islam to comment further. But I assume therefore a imam is the equivalent of a priest or vicar. Fair enough. They aren't the "supreme" head of that religion so their opinion isn't either.
the guy above me is not very smart..

Posted from TSR Mobile
IDK exactly, but if he calls himself a muslim. Then he kinda is one? Unless the imam's or religious leaders say he's not, well then he is. Practicing muslim, well idk. You probably do end up practicing a bit of what you learn, so I guess the same applies to him; decisions are made based on past experiences and intuition.

From what you have said I understand that he is not practicing Muslim. Actually he's just a born Muslim. Yes, when he was joining the Privy Council he swore in using a copy of the Koran. But the alternative was Bible..

Let's not quibble, otherwise we would have to get into arguments about Ismailis not being genuine Muslims, etc. Anyway, he isn't an elected politician.

I don't think there's much doubt that Khan is now the foremost elected member of a British racial minority and the leading elected Muslim, or person who was raised Muslim.
Let's not quibble, otherwise we would have to get into arguments about Ismailis not being genuine Muslims, etc.

You're likely to find that some of the people you've spent time and sanity defending are of that view. :wink:
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Like, I don't know what would possess you to claim to be a fan of Bollywood without googling for one film and one actor. These are completely obvious follow-up questions. If you're not ready for them that's just incompetence.

That did make me chuckle :tongue:.
Original post by Hydeman
You're likely to find that some of the people you've spent time and sanity defending are of that view. :wink:

I'm not defending extremists of any sort. I agree that it's divisive and bigoted of extreme Islamists to condemn people for (as they see it) not being 'proper' Muslims who have been identified as Muslims for many centuries.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
That did make me chuckle :tongue:.

It was just one of a number of absurd Goldsmith moments that made him look laughably toff and out of touch.

Boris has sufficient street sense to make a joke out of his bumbling attempts to be non-Etonian - Goldsmith seems incapable of escaping the straightjacket of his privileged blinkers.
I'm not defending extremists of any sort.

You say the funniest things, FoS. :laugh:

It was just one of a number of absurd Goldsmith moments that made him look laughably toff and out of touch.

Boris has sufficient street sense to make a joke out of his bumbling attempts to be non-Etonian - Goldsmith seems incapable of escaping the straightjacket of his privileged blinkers.

Remind me of your alma mater?
One important question remains.

Will Katie Hopkins now carry out her promise?
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/727810615968972800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
The official Zac Goldsmith collected best bits. :lol:

Original post by Omen96
London fell long ago, only look at 90% of it, it's a third world dump rife with crime and extremism. The only part satisfiable is the centre and even there it's a **** hole in some parts. It's fit for someone like Sadiq Khan

London has had a serious problem with crime and subversive groups since long before immigrants got there. The reason they never solved the Jack the Ripper murders was largely because there was a murder on the street running through his area of London pretty much every day, and corruption and gang activitiy was so rife it was a no go zone for police. So frankly London has greatly improved since the immigrants arrived, and is still a less violent place than many mostly white cities such as Liverpool, Glasgow etc.

Anyway, no wonder some ethnic minority youths in London feel disaffected, when their mayor and prime minister up til now have been Etonian school chums who were members of an Oxford society specifically founded to glorify wealth and laugh at poor people. Perhaps having one of their own as mayor might provide them with something to aim for beyond drug money.
Who gives a **** is he is muslim? Im getting so annoyed now. Im sure he doesent want everyone branding him as a so called muslim but a human being. All these muslims acting like they havent seen a muslim mayor before, oh god. And yes its britian, the most multicultural country, you'd obviously expect this unlike saudi arabia where nationals cant even drive lol.
Original post by Copperknickers
London has had a serious problem with crime and subversive groups since long before immigrants got there. The reason they never solved the Jack the Ripper murders was largely because there was a murder on the street running through his area of London pretty much every day, and corruption and gang activitiy was so rife it was a no go zone for police. So frankly London has greatly improved since the immigrants arrived, and is still a less violent place than many mostly white cities such as Liverpool, Glasgow etc.

Then I am afraid you know very little about the Whitchapel of the Ripper era. There were 45-50,000 East European Jews in Whitechapel at the time and immigration was a hot topic.

http://www.jack-the-ripper.org/jewish-history.htm

One of the possibly relevant clues in the Ripper murders is some possibly anti-Semitic graffiti

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goulston_Street_graffito
Original post by Oblivion99
Who gives a **** is he is muslim? Im getting so annoyed now. Im sure he doesent want everyone branding him as a so called muslim but a human being. All these muslims acting like they havent seen a muslim mayor before, oh god. And yes its britian, the most multicultural country, you'd obviously expect this unlike saudi arabia where nationals cant even drive lol.

It shouldn't matter, but it does, partly because the media attack Muslims so much, so it's refreshing to have a moderate, intelligent and personable Muslim man being elected to high office in Britain. It also matters because the Tories were trying to turn his Muslim identity into something to attack him for and the voters rejected that.

In the bigger picture, it's clear that he will be judged by his performance, not the religion he was brought up with (although there will still be attacks on him connected to that), but it's nice just for now to be able to celebrate a positive about Muslims in the UK and not just the usual negatives that are poured out by the right wing media.
Or Sadiq Khan. :rolleyes:

He's so much of an Islamist he voted for gay mariage. Islamists and right wing social conservative backbench Tories have a lot in common.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
type in "al qaida flag" on google

looooool:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

ignorant AF:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending