The Student Room Group

Could Brexit tear the UK apart?

If the UK leaves the EU several things could happen.

1) The troubles in Northern Ireland could start again. A lot of Catholics and republicans in the North might not want to leave the EU and quite rightfully could demand unification with the Republic of Ireland leading to conflict in the North, between unionists and republicans.

2) The Scottish who want to stay in the EU will demand a referendum to leave the UK and rejoin the EU. That will leave only England and Wales on our own, we will loose a lot of our influence in the world leading to....

3) Without the EU or Scotland and the potential of conflict in NI, England and Wales will be all that's left of the United Kingdom. Quite small and less influence. Our economy may crash, unemployment rises, massive austerity cuts to welfare and the NHS, cost of living from being a lone island could skyrocket.
The Welsh may themselves demand independence so they too can re-join the EU. That would lead to....

4) A solitary England without Scotland or Wales totally on our own with an ongoing economic depression. But by this time Trump will probably be US president and hopefully all the Eurosceptics and xenophobes will have emigrated to the Trumps US paradise, which will lead to....

5) England RE-APPLIES for EU membership. Something that could happen as a solitary state. We get back into the EU but do we get Scotland and Wales to join us again??

On the other hand we could save all that grief and just STAY IN the EU!

Seriously think before you vote to leave in the EU referendum. It could destroy our country as we know it!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

inb4 scaremongering
Reply 2
Wales will never leave the UK.

Scotland and Northern Ireland will be dealt with in peaceful manners. Even if one of them did manage to leave, the UK would retain its' veto in the United Nations as a successor state.
Original post by samesea
Wales will never leave the UK.

Scotland and Northern Ireland will be dealt with in peaceful manners. Even if one of them did manage to leave, the UK would retain its' veto in the United Nations as a successor state.

But look at what happened to Russia in the 1990s when the USSR fell apart. A superpower was turned into a third world country over night and was itself close to being torn apart by civil war.

This chaos lasted for 10 years the Mafia had more power than 'The Police', with the mafia virtually running the country, crime skyrocketed. The economy was broken almost beyond repair simple items like bread and milk when up several hundred percent in price leading to more crime and various regions fought bitter jihadist wars such as the Czech Republic which was a peaceful backwater and became a capital of kidnappings, jihadist gangsters and terrorism.

It only improved when the authoritarian rule of Putin took over.

The same could happen to England if the UK falls apart because of Brexit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ambitious1999
But look at what happened to Russia in the 1990s when the USSR fell apart. A superpower was turned into a third world country over night and was itself close to being torn apart by civil war.

This chaos lasted for 10 years the Mafia had more power than 'The Police', with the mafia virtually running the country, crime skyrocketed. The economy was broken almost beyond repair simple items like bread and milk when up several hundred percent in price leading to more crime and various regions fought bitter jihadist wars such as the Czech Republic which was a peaceful backwater and became a capital of kidnappings, jihadist gangsters and terrorism.

Borris Johnson will be our authoritarian ruler if we leave the EU
I couldn't give a **** - if the scots and the irish want to throw their toys out of the pram if we leave the EU, then that's their deal. if they want to let their nationalist-internationalist contradictions get the best of them, that'll only be an amusing spectacle to oversee
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Firstly, Brexit is impossible and will never happen.

Secondly, why would getting rid of Scotland be a bad thing?

1) The troubles in Northern Ireland could start again. A lot of Catholics and republicans in the North might not want to leave the EU and quite rightfully could demand unification with the Republic of Ireland leading to conflict in the North, between unionists and republicans.

2) The Scottish who want to stay in the EU will demand a referendum to leave the UK and rejoin the EU. That will leave only England and Wales on our own, we will loose a lot of our influence in the world leading to....

3) Without the EU or Scotland and the potential of conflict in NI, England and Wales will be all that's left of the United Kingdom. Quite small and less influence. Our economy may crash, unemployment rises, massive austerity cuts to welfare and the NHS, cost of living from being a lone island could skyrocket.
The Welsh may themselves demand independence so they too can re-join the EU. That would lead to....

4) A solitary England without Scotland or Wales totally on our own with an ongoing economic depression. But by this time Trump will probably be US president and hopefully all the Eurosceptics and xenophobes will have emigrated to the Trumps US paradise, which will lead to....

5) England RE-APPLIES for EU membership. Something that could happen as a solitary state. We get back into the EU but do we get Scotland and Wales to join us again??

Seriously think before you vote to leave in the EU referendum. It could destroy our country as we know it!

having read your username and your statement i will debunk the whole thing as i'm guessing that you ineligible to vote and havn't done a lot of research the only part of the uk able to fully support itself is england all the others need a few percent that we make extra above our own needs

1.the troubles just settled down they never stopped just turned more politically focused
2.how much influence does scotland have, not very much
3.we save millions per day and have far less red tape on several issues such as employment
4.the money we save easily saves the nhs and makes us worth more as we can be a more active force
5.i just give up your brain washed and a concern if you haven't checked the facts thank f**k you can't vote in this

Spoiler

1) No they won't. The Good Friday agreement has sweet fa to do with the EU.

2) Their choice. The SNP's recent successes arguably give them a mandate for another referendum, especially if they're taken out of the EU against the wishes of the majority in Scotland. However Scotland only makes up around 10% of the UK's population so the impact on our national power would be noticeable but not disastrous. The full strength of the Armed Forces would remain under the control of the UK.

3) This whole statement is a complete fantasy. Even without Scotland, Wales and NI, England would still be a top ten global economy. We'd be fine outside of the EU due to this, however I personally don't think we'll be better off out which is why I'm voting to stay in.

4) See above for rebuttal of this claptrap.

5) An irrelevant future prediction when based on a BS argument.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Are you seriously comparing the UK currently to the crumbling USSR in the late 80's/early 90's? I also think you're confusing the Czech Republic with Chechnya.
Wales have no interest in leaving, and Scotland would vote to remain again. They could not fund themselves, they would be burdened with massive debt, and they would still be stuck outside the EU.
Original post by JamesN88
1) No they won't. The Good Friday agreement has sweet fa to do with the EU.

2) Their choice. The SNP's recent successes arguably give them a mandate for another referendum, especially if they're taken out of the EU against the wishes of the majority in Scotland. However Scotland only makes up around 10% of the UK's population so the impact on our national power would be noticeable but not disastrous. The full strength of the Armed Forces would remain under the control of the UK.

3) This whole statement is a complete fantasy. Even without Scotland, Wales and NI, England would still be a top ten global economy. We'd be fine outside of the EU due to this, however I personally don't think we'll be better off out which is why I'm voting to stay in.

4) See above for rebuttal of this claptrap.

5) An irrelevant future prediction when based on a BS argument.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Are you seriously comparing the UK currently to the crumbling USSR in the late 80's/early 90's? I also think you're confusing the Czech Republic with Chechnya.

The GDP of England and Wales alone is enough to maintain #5 according to the IMF, and according to World Bank, UN, and CIA world factbook it would only just drop us into 6th behind France, and in fact England alone has a high enough GDP for this still to hold, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, particularly the latter two, add very little to the GDP of the UK next to England, England is in the region of 90%. Hell, an independent London would still be in the G20
Original post by Jammy Duel
The GDP of England and Wales alone is enough to maintain #5 according to the IMF, and according to World Bank, UN, and CIA world factbook it would only just drop us into 6th behind France, and in fact England alone has a high enough GDP for this still to hold, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, particularly the latter two, add very little to the GDP of the UK next to England, England is in the region of 90%. Hell, an independent London would still be in the G20

I just did a rough conservative estimate based on population by knocking 20% off the figures quoted here. I'm sure if you ran the numbers properly it'd come out a lot higher due to England's prevalence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Original post by Jammy Duel
Wales have no interest in leaving, and Scotland would vote to remain again. They could not fund themselves, they would be burdened with massive debt, and they would still be stuck outside the EU.

I'm no expert on Welsh politics but this is why I fail to see the point of Plaid. Why split the Left vote if you're not going to campaign for Independence.

Thanks for the good laugh before bed, it's clear you don't have a single clue what you are talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just did a rough conservative estimate based on population by knocking 20% off the figures quoted here. I'm sure if you ran the numbers properly it'd come out a lot higher due to England's prevalence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

I'm no expert on Welsh politics but this is why I fail to see the point of Plaid. Why split the Left vote if you're not going to campaign for Independence.

All I did was look up the GDP figures on Wikipedia and compare them to the list on the page you linked

As for PC, I believe their current aim is for a stronger welsh assembly, something I don't think labour backs get (and something the people don't really want either), it has to be remembered that the relationship between England and Wales is a much better one than with Scotland and thus it's mainly a case of regaining some autonomy they lost centuries ago. Hell, for a long time Wales was simply regarded as part of England without any real issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

This may well be true, but such a massive split is sure to unleash the glut of unintended consequences. To the rest of the world, what does it say about the UK if it does not wish to cooperate with other countries, or those nations it has been in union with for hundreds of years no longer wish to work with England? We forget that in saying f**k you, to those some don't care much for (the EU), there is an element of "Well if that is the way you are going to be, f**k you too." in return. There is a huge arrogance in the Brexit camp that the EU will be begging us to buy their goods. I am not sure that arrogance is particularly well founded, especially in a global market.
Original post by ByEeek
This may well be true, but such a massive split is sure to unleash the glut of unintended consequences. To the rest of the world, what does it say about the UK if it does not wish to cooperate with other countries, or those nations it has been in union with for hundreds of years no longer wish to work with England? We forget that in saying f**k you, to those some don't care much for (the EU), there is an element of "Well if that is the way you are going to be, f**k you too." in return. There is a huge arrogance in the Brexit camp that the EU will be begging us to buy their goods. I am not sure that arrogance is particularly well founded, especially in a global market.

Well said.

In addition too few Brexit people read between the lines. Why does Russia and Putin support Brexit?

Russia supports Brexit because they want to see the UK torn apart. To Russia we'd be less able to meddle with their affairs in the Eastern Ukraine and Syria and have less of a voice internationally.

At present the UK is one of many thorns in the side of Russia.
Reply 16
We should remain in the EU and embrace cultural diversity

Original post by ByEeek

An independent Scotland would still work with England, however a lot of them don't like being ruled from Westminster and want their key decisions made closer to home. The OP was just sprouting alarmist nonsense that's devoid from reality.

I've been pro-European for years and am certainly no disciple to the Brexiter's economic predictions. I just don't subscribe to all the doom mongering currently taking place, in fact it annoys the **** out of me as it discredits the reasonable arguments for staying in.
Well said.

In addition too few Brexit people read between the lines. Why does Russia and Putin support Brexit?

Russia supports Brexit because they want to see the UK torn apart. To Russia we'd be less able to meddle with their affairs in the Eastern Ukraine and Syria and have less of a voice internationally.

At present the UK is one of many thorns in the side of Russia.

Why does Merkel and the eurocrats want us to stay? Because they want us to pay. Too few bremainers read between the lines. Why does John Howard think we should leave? How about Michael Caine? John R. Bolton, former us ambassador to the UN? Rand Paul? Matthew Elliot? Most retired military personnel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c1786382
We should remain in the EU and embrace cultural diversity

Leaving the EU will be seen as a victory for nationalism and as a lone country nationalism and racism will increase especially if the economy goes tits up which is more than likely to happen.

At my old school they have an EU day, which is a whole school day when we celebrated the EU, diversity and multiculturalism. Most pupils were proud to call themselves Europeans and proud of the diversity. As a result pupils were less likely to become xenophobic or racist. Pupils looked forward to EU day as it was like a holiday. They eat different foods from all over the EU and each pupil had the chance to represent the EU country of their choice and form teams. I represented Austria, Italy and Chechen Republic in different years.

That's why I'm a proud European and also partly because despite being born in Britain I am essentially a born and bred EU citizen.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending