The Student Room Group

Residential parking permits

I live in a restricted parking area with my mum. I've been offered a car but having a nightmare with the parking situation. I can't apply for a parking permit because I'm a student. I explained I was born here and I'm not a random student but they said because I don't pay council tax I can't get a permit, which makes sense I guess. I could pay for one which is £70 but it would run out at the end of July and I am moving out in September.
I had a bit of a thought last night, and I wondered, would my mum be able to apply for one in her name for my car? It doesn't say anything in the form about having to be the owner of the car, although it does ask for a copy of the insurance (could be to confirm the car is insured to be parked or to clarify owner?)
Has anyone else been in this position? So annoying haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You haven't really got anything to lose, might as well give it a try. You could also perhaps add your mum as a named driver on your policy, that might make it look a bit more legit.
Original post by Dez
You haven't really got anything to lose, might as well give it a try. You could also perhaps add your mum as a named driver on your policy, that might make it look a bit more legit.

Unfortunately she doesn't drive so she can't be a driver! But good idea :smile:
Just tried to ring but they are closed now, boo. Will try tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dez

Yep she has to be a named driver. I have given up with this car lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
You live in the same house as your mum? Surely she pays the council tax then? I don't see why that's their sticking point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
You live in the same house as your mum? Surely she pays the council tax then? I don't see why that's their sticking point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would think so. I think it's a bit mean but they won't let me have one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeirdLittleO
You would think so. I think it's a bit mean but they won't let me have one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit stupid. Wonder if they would deny someone living with their mum but wasn't a student 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
cba to read the scheme rules but can she, as a householder, apply for a visitor permit that you can use?
Original post by Vitamin D
Bit stupid. Wonder if they would deny someone living with their mum but wasn't a student 🤔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it's because I'm a student. They just see the word 'student' and they're like no you can't have one lol they said I can have a residential permit when I finish my course but I'm moving out shortly afterwards. I would understand if I was a student lodger or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pariah
cba to read the scheme rules but can she, as a householder, apply for a visitor permit that you can use?

We have visitor permits but they are only supposed to be used for visiting, so a few days or a week or something. I contemplated using one of those but I have a friend who's a traffic warden and he said I would probably be caught

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending