The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Thread for all National 5 Chemists looking to discuss the exam, before and after.

P.S. Hopefully there's no tan2xcos2x questions...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Thread for all National 5 Chemists looking to discuss the exam, before and after.

P.S. Hopefully there's no tan2xcos2x questions...

Thanks for creating the thread SocialStudies, Hows revision for chemistry going ? What are you doing now in the course?
Well, my form of revision was to do past papers and learn from my mistakes but after the maths exam, I have learned from that. We have finished the course and are on study leave, feeling optimistic but cautious after maths.
Well, my form of revision was to do past papers and learn from my mistakes but after the maths exam, I have learned from that. We have finished the course and are on study leave, feeling optimistic but cautious after maths.

After the Maths exam, I feel past papers are not the way to revise hahaha

I love calculations :smile: how hard do you think the chemistry exam will be?
I feel pretty embarrassed tbh, the petition was set up in fear and anger and instead of bringing people together it has completely shunned the whole of the 2016 NAT 5 candidates. Not only has it made me feel embarrassed but doubtful of myself after the constant criticism.
I need to do the 2015 paper to guess, but I'm making no assumptions because they'll probably be based on what puts my mind at ease hahaha
Reply 7
Lol after that Maths paper, I'm also cautious now.

I'm just doing past papers and the moment.
Do you guys think there are any experiements that we need to know inside out for the exams ?

I've got these down already...

+ Haber Process
+ Ostwald Process
+ Titration experiment
+ Energy released experiment ( Eh=cmDeltaT)

Do you know any other that we should know ?
Reply 9
Original post by Ethan100
Do you guys think there are any experiements that we need to know inside out for the exams ?

+ Haber Process
+ Ostwald Process
+ Titration experiment

I think that's about it really. Maybe the de-colourisation of bromine solution?
Original post by A+Hunter
I think that's about it really. Maybe the de-colourisation of bromine solution?

Oh yeah That's a good one, Saturation of hydrocarbons.

+ Haber Process
+ Ostwald Process
+ Titration experiment

We got taught to remember that the test for carbon dioxide turns limewater a milky colour.
Oh yeah That's a good one, Saturation of hydrocarbons.

The haber and ostwald process are the most common ones anyway, So I'd revise them thoroughly
Original post by Abbyy1234
We got taught to remember that the test for carbon dioxide turns limewater a milky colour.

Oh yeahh thanks, What's the test for hydrogen again ? ... do we need to know that? I remember something burns with a squeaky pop but what is it ?
Oh yeahh thanks, What's the test for hydrogen again ? ... do we need to know that? I remember something burns with a squeaky pop but what is it ?

Yes, hydrogen makes a squeaky pop and I don't really know if that will come up. I'd just remember the ones you already have and also if it asks you what would you add to a solution to show its pH remember to always just put indicator because if you specify what type like "universal" and it isn't right, you get marks off so just be safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any suggestions for the open-ended question..
I'll be really happy if they asked about esters, but I highly doubt that.. 😕
(edited 7 years ago)
Any tips for the of your own knowledge questions? Pretty anxious for them

+ Haber Process
+ Ostwald Process
+ Titration experiment

Also know how to make and ester as in don't forget the concentrated sulferic acid that acts as a catalyst:smile:
Original post by Lewis H01
Any suggestions for the open-ended question..
I'll be really happy if they asked about esters, but I highly doubt that.. 😕

Any tips for the of your own knowledge questions? Pretty anxious for them

There are a couple of documents for the open ended questions on this website here

http://stmodans.co.uk/national-5-chemistry-resources/
What do you think the opened questions will be ?
And if it is esters what do you think it will be about ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending