The Student Room Group

i want to do pharmacy but only have 3 gcses

i want to become a pharmacist and study pharmacy at uni but i dont have the grade requirements and i currently do a BTEC level 3 national extended applied science course. In most unis they require a levels or an a level aside the BTEC i do. And to become a pharmacist i need to do a Mpharm course but i cant get into into masters without the 5 minimum gcses required. What should i do?
Original post by hachiko!
i want to become a pharmacist and study pharmacy at uni but i dont have the grade requirements and i currently do a BTEC level 3 national extended applied science course. In most unis they require a levels or an a level aside the BTEC i do. And to become a pharmacist i need to do a Mpharm course but i cant get into into masters without the 5 minimum gcses required. What should i do?

Using only the information you have provided above, it would seem you need to:

(a) Apply for the Pharmacy courses which don't require any A levels alongside your current BTEC. (You say "most unis they require a levels or an a level aside the BTEC", which clearly means than not all do.)

(b) If you "cant get into into masters without the 5 minimum gcses required", then you need to take two additional GCSEs.

Hi there,

You've left your query in the 'Ask Student Finance England' section of The Student Room. If you do want to repost it on the main forum to reach your audience. Alternatively, any questions you have for us then do let us know. Thanks, Jason
Thread moved to the Pharmacy forum :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Using only the information you have provided above, it would seem you need to:

(a) Apply for the Pharmacy courses which don't require any A levels alongside your current BTEC. (You say "most unis they require a levels or an a level aside the BTEC", which clearly means than not all do.)

(b) If you "cant get into into masters without the 5 minimum gcses required", then you need to take two additional GCSEs.

heyy
thank you for your reply :smile:

for (a) i did say most unis require an level beside but the only courses i found had a 5 years programme which included a foundation year. I don't know if i want to do a foundation year because its a long process to stay in uni for 5 years but i cant find anything else that supports my requirements. I don't know if ill be able to do it. i currently do a National extended certicate applied science course and cant find anything by itself because everywhere says it must be with an a level.

for (b) Thank you ill consider retaking 2 gcses.
(edited 3 months ago)
heyy
thank you for your reply :smile:

for (a) i did say most unis require an level beside but the only courses i found had a 5 years programme which included a foundation year. I don't know if i want to do a foundation year because its a long process to stay in uni for 5 years but i cant find anything else that supports my requirements. I don't know if ill be able to do it. i currently do a National extended certicate applied science course and cant find anything by itself because everywhere says it must be with an a level.

for (b) Thank you ill consider retaking 2 gcses.

Here are some four-year MPharm courses which accept a Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma in Applied Science on its own (with no A levels required alongside it).

Pharmacy MPharm at University of Nottingham (details) - "RQF Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma Applied Science DDD" or "RQF Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma Applied Science (Biomedical Science) DDD"
Pharmacy MPharm (Hons) at University of Bradford (details) - "For applicants who have taken the new BTEC Extended Diploma assessed by written examinations and coursework: DDD. Applied Science with a minimum of four Chemistry or Biology units at Distinction."
MPharm Pharmacy at University of Reading (details) - "DDD (modules taken must be comparable to subject specific requirement)"
MPharm Pharmacy at University of Lincoln (details) - "BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science: Distinction, Distinction, Distinction or equivalent."
MPharm Pharmacy at University of East Anglia (details) - "Extended Diploma: DDD in Applied Science, or Applied Science (Medical Science/Biomedical Science). Specific modules required or A Level Chemistry grade B."

Three things to note:
Many of these courses will also have GCSE requirements, so don't forget to check those, to see what you might need to do GCSE-wise.
Some of the above want you have taken particular units within your BTEC, so check those carefully too. If in doubt, contact the admissions team and list all the units you're taking so they can confirm eligibility.
I pulled together that list a couple of months ago to help another user. I believe it's still accurate but please follow all the links and confirm that nothing has changed in terms of entry requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Here are some four-year MPharm courses which accept a Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma in Applied Science on its own (with no A levels required alongside it).

Pharmacy MPharm at University of Nottingham (details) - "RQF Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma Applied Science DDD" or "RQF Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma Applied Science (Biomedical Science) DDD"
Pharmacy MPharm (Hons) at University of Bradford (details) - "For applicants who have taken the new BTEC Extended Diploma assessed by written examinations and coursework: DDD. Applied Science with a minimum of four Chemistry or Biology units at Distinction."
MPharm Pharmacy at University of Reading (details) - "DDD (modules taken must be comparable to subject specific requirement)"
MPharm Pharmacy at University of Lincoln (details) - "BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science: Distinction, Distinction, Distinction or equivalent."
MPharm Pharmacy at University of East Anglia (details) - "Extended Diploma: DDD in Applied Science, or Applied Science (Medical Science/Biomedical Science). Specific modules required or A Level Chemistry grade B."

Three things to note:
Many of these courses will also have GCSE requirements, so don't forget to check those, to see what you might need to do GCSE-wise.
Some of the above want you have taken particular units within your BTEC, so check those carefully too. If in doubt, contact the admissions team and list all the units you're taking so they can confirm eligibility.
I pulled together that list a couple of months ago to help another user. I believe it's still accurate but please follow all the links and confirm that nothing has changed in terms of entry requirements.

thank you so muchhh 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending