The Student Room Group

Do you look down on adults who can't drive?

Scroll to see replies

i can't legally drive as i haven't seen the point i am able to get to london in a hour on the train
or go to gatwick and be on a flight in 2 hours so why drive

Spoiler

No, everyone has their reasons for not driving. My mum is 44 and she is finally starting driving lessons next week. I'm glad she's starting to learn because it'll be handy but I was never bothered by her not driving to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a possibility i wont be able to pass my practical test myself as my dyspraxia makes it very difficult to complete manoverus so i would never look down on someone who can't drive as you never know what their reasons for it are.
I've not learnt to drive yet, mainly because I have no need to at the moment! In the future I would like to learn but my anxiety will make it difficult.:colonhash:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I've not learnt to drive yet, mainly because I have no need to at the moment! In the future I would like to learn but my anxiety will make it difficult.:colonhash:

Same.

The danger is that I'd panic and freeze or worse yet, slam down on the accelerator instead of the brakes.
Passed my test 2 years ago but can't be arsed to get a car.
Some of us aren't allowed to dive.
Original post by Jenx301
It's expensive to drive - not everyone can afford to.

Hence me saying sort yourself out :lol: Bare in mind I'm talking about fully grown adults here, not people of student age.
No. What if they just started learning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No
No, not everyone gets a chance and it costs too much for some, especially since the older you get, the more lessons you will most likely need. For example, my mum never got a chance to learn because she spent too much time looking after me and my siblings, but now she is 50 and still wants to learn but as shes got older shes found it more difficult to learn things so she'd have to have quite a few lessons which, fund wise, would really add up!
Still hope she learns some day though! :P
Original post by WoodyMKC
NGL when I see people standing around waiting for a bus in weather you don't wanna be standing around in, I think "Why do you do this to yourself? Sort yourself out...".

I live in London, and on top of the traffic and lack of places to park, there's a congestion charge too. By taking public transport I save a lot of time and it's less stressful, even if that means waiting out in the rain.
Original post by TheTechN1304
I live in London, and on top of the traffic and lack of places to park, there's a congestion charge too. By taking public transport I save a lot of time and it's less stressful, even if that means waiting out in the rain.

London I totally understand. Elsewhere, not so much :lol:
At my university and some others I have friends at, (Oxbridge/AMS) the majority of people use public transport or cycle, but Warwick is a bit of a bubble society so I don't know about city students.

Having said that my parents are always pushing me to learn how to drive and everyone else in my family thinks it's a pretty big deal so it's probably specifically a rural student thing I think.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, but I do look down on people who sit in their cars in busy traffic on a beautiful hot summers day when their destination is five minutes down the road.
Reply 35
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I look up to them cos they usually are travelling by horse haw haw

Adults who can't drive > adults who can't drive who ride horses > adults who can't drive who ride horses and are usually passing you
Reply 36
I am that adult come at me DAWG!
Reply 37
Original post by WoodyMKC
London I totally understand. Elsewhere, not so much :lol:

I'm originally from near Liverpool and I actually knew people who had cars who'd take public transport when traveling to work or going shopping in the city centre either because of the amount of traffic or the cost/lack of parking.

To answer the OP, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 18 so technically an adult and I can't drive. So, no.
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
No, but I do look down on people who sit in their cars in busy traffic on a beautiful hot summers day when their destination is five minutes down the road.

But the heat is for lounging around getting a tan, not being physically active :lol: If I've got somewhere to be I'd sooner just stick the air con on and keep cool whilst having a private seated rave :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest