The Student Room Group

Is prom really worth it?

Year 11. The big talk of the year is Prom. But honestly, I personally don't see the point of it. Sitting, dancing and eating in a hall with a large group of people that I have to be stuck in a building with 5 days a week, 35 weeks of a year for 5 years anyway and I either haven't spoke to or don't like, very few of them are my real friends. So what is the point?
Is it going to be like High School Musical 3? No, of course not. That's one very big let down on it's own. Starting secondary school wasn't like the first High School Musical and now,I don't have the mental stability to have such a big let down for prom just like I did when I started secondary school in year 7.
I just want to know people's own stories of prom; Was it good? Was it bad? Was it worth it?
I do not want to fork out the money for a ticket, makeup, dress, shoes and whatever else I am expected to buy for one night that I might not enjoy by the end of it.

Scroll to see replies

It's a good way to say goodbye to secondary school.
Original post by Jemo014
Year 11. The big talk of the year is Prom. But honestly, I personally don't see the point of it. Sitting, dancing and eating in a hall with a large group of people that I have to be stuck in a building with 5 days a week, 35 weeks of a year for 5 years anyway and I either haven't spoke to or don't like, very few of them are my real friends. So what is the point?
Is it going to be like High School Musical 3? No, of course not. That's one very big let down on it's own. Starting secondary school wasn't like the first High School Musical and now,I don't have the mental stability to have such a big let down for prom just like I did when I started secondary school in year 7.
I just want to know people's own stories of prom; Was it good? Was it bad? Was it worth it?
I do not want to fork out the money for a ticket, makeup, dress, shoes and whatever else I am expected to buy for one night that I might not enjoy by the end of it.

i didn't go to mine but that was more down to trying to out-car everyone else and finding that it would cost £2000 to do
Depends on your perspective and whether you like that kind of thing.

I went to mine and regretted it because it was just a waste of money, boring and I had no fun.
Reply 4
I'm not going because I think it's a complete waste of money + time and the majority of my friends aren't going either. Plus my prom is the day after exams finish so I'd rather sleep :redface:
Reply 5
Lol no, you aren't going to see most of those people again, so why even bother
Original post by Jemo014

I went to my prom and I really really enjoyed it. It was a great way to say goodbye to everyone. Prom is as fun as you make it. If you just sit at your table all night then it wont be fun, but if you talk to people and dance and enjoy yourself, then it will be better. If the money side is what bothers you, then dont worry, there were girls at my prom who spent £20/30 on dresses and still looked as nice as the ones who spent say £300. Personally, I think prom is a great chance to dress up, have fun with friends and finally say goodbye to secondary school :smile:
Original post by Jemo014

I had had doubts about going to Prom in year 11 - parties aren't exactly my favourite thing ever. But I did go, and it was great - it was essentially hanging out with friends for an evening, having not seen them for a while, and, despite the vast majority of people returning for sixth form, it was a nice way to end the era. I didn't spend a lot of money for it (only getting a suit, which has been used countless times since), nor did I dance or do any other stereotypical Prom stuff, but it was still really enjoyable.

Basically, it comes down to what you're doing in September. If you're going to a different college/sixth form in September, I definitely recommend going. Regardless of your feelings towards some people in your year, this will be the last time you'll see a lot of them, ever, and you're likely to miss a lot of people. You can't necessarily count on seeing people at results day, as it will be pretty chaotic/stressful, some people won't be there on the day, and others will leave very quickly.

If it's not really the end of an era, and you and your friends are going to the sixth form in September, then you might be best not going, if you're very concerned about the cost and your friends aren't going and you're sure you won't like it. But I still recommend considering it - it'll be a lot better than you think.

It's only a few hours of your life, while the regret of not going, and missing out on all the memories, would potentially last a lot longer. It also doesn't have to be too expensive - you could get a relatively cheap dress and wear shoes you already have, for example.
I'm not going because I don't even like most of the people at my school, and the Prom Committee designed it so it looks like a wedding. Lke wtf? From what I've heard, it's just cheap snacks and drinks, and some guy from school's doing the music by playing DJ. Soz, but I ain't waisting £21 on a ticket, and then a further £100+ on clothes an shizz.

That's my opinion, but your school may not be cheap like mine, so idk
Reply 9
Americanised crap brought over to GB. Utter nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been to two proms. I didn't really enjoy the first one; it was for my year group and I never really got on with people at school so it was just a case of sitting around listening to what people had to say (I was very shy back then). I didn't dance, nor did I eat much. It was nice to see everyone dressed up though. Second prom was my ex's. Again very much the same, but this was just under a year into being in an exclusive relationship so it was nice to share a semi-formal experience together, as well as have a bit of a dance (even if she did keep looking over at an ex crush. *sigh* Should have realized she'd be trouble). I still think she was the most beautiful woman in the room though, oh my she was stunning.

Prom's are what you make of it, but more enjoyable experiences for the more popular kids I believe. I'd say go just for the experience of something different and on the off-chance you have regrets later on in life. Relax, talk to people, have fun. :smile:
I missed my prom due to a funeral. I have looked back every day on the fateful time often in tears, desolate and inconsolable at what could have been. I was an aspiring surgeon and rapper and now I am homeless and have a growth on my left teste
Looking back it wasn't worth it at all.
You seem to have an attachment to high school musical. It's nice to see people all scrubbed up. Sure it'll be awk and cringy but worth it
Original post by Jemo014

There's not even any alcohol so you can't even have a gr8 time (inb4 all the "u don't need alcohol to have a good time" - u do it's proven by a scientist somewhere probs)

Just get one of your friends to have a party afterwards so then at least you have something to look forward to. I know a lot of people who have had post-prom parties.
Reply 15
Original post by Jemo014

I was so sceptical and honestly like you didn't really see the point but kind of decided I'd go just to see what it was like and as it got closer I began to get more excited! It really was such a good night for me. Everyone, even people I hardly speak to, were talking to me and people were dancing in little groups with anyone and everyone! It really is worth it and I would totally go and enjoy yourself! :biggrin::smile:
Original post by george_c00per
There's not even any alcohol so you can't even have a gr8 time

Speak for yourself -- the best part of my prom was shots with the physics teachers!
Original post by Jemo014

As I said to one of my closest friends- if you hate everyone in your year, take it as a celebration that you will never be forced to spend time with them ever again.
And about the dress/shoes etc lots of people who i know are just gong in their normal dresses, or are rising dresses from other occasions
Original post by sweeneyrod
Speak for yourself -- the best part of my prom was shots with the physics teachers!

Was it a prom for post-GCSE students? We have a prom (or "ball") at our school for after A Levels where there is alcohol but I didn't think they would allow it for 16 year olds.

I have to admit, I would love taking shots with my teachers :biggrin:
Original post by george_c00per
Was it a prom for post-GCSE students? We have a prom (or "ball":wink: at our school for after A Levels where there is alcohol but I didn't think they would allow it for 16 year olds.

I have to admit, I would love taking shots with my teachers :biggrin:

Yeah it was for year 13, alcohol wasn't allowed for the year 11 one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending