The Student Room Group

AQA AS History - Tsarist and Communist Russia, 1855-1917

Hi, does anyone have a solid plan for the extract question and essay question? I've had various suggestions from teachers/ students etc. and I just wanted to know if there was an official structure.

Thanks
Reply 1
essay q:
-introduction defining key term in the question and setting out my points
-first para address the point given in question
-two other points, preferably one long term and one short term
-conclusion.

source q:
-introduction defining the interpretations of each extract
-extract 1 why is it convincing
-extract 1 why is it not convincing
-extract 2 why is it convincing
-extract 2 why is it not convincing
-conclusion

hope this clarifies somethings for you!
any predictions what the paper will be on?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by eliset
essay q:
-introduction defining key term in the question and setting out my points
-first para address the point given in question
-two other points, preferably one long term and one short term
-conclusion.

source q:
-introduction defining the interpretations of each extract
-extract 1 why is it convincing
-extract 1 why is it not convincing
-extract 2 why is it convincing
-extract 2 why is it not convincing
-conclusion

hope this clarifies somethings for you!
any predictions what the paper will be on?

Thank you. I don't think they'll mention much about the Bolshevik takeover. Hopefully something about Alex 2's reforms and opposition to Alex 3 maybe?
What do you reckon?
Just wondering, for the source question do we have to compare the sources or just at the end conclude on which was more convincing in answering the question?
Reply 4
I am hoping for AII + AIII's reactionary reforms, but i reckon one of the essay q's will be thematic (i.e. economic backwardness or agriculture), and maybe another on the causes of the abdication of Nicholas II, as it wasn't in the specimen papers...
Original post by undisputedjb
Thank you. I don't think they'll mention much about the Bolshevik takeover. Hopefully something about Alex 2's reforms and opposition to Alex 3 maybe?
What do you reckon?
Reply 5
For Russia, which is breadth, your conclusion should be about more convincing, as the question asks about interpretations, whereas for your second history exam (Church in England for me), your conclusion (more like a final paragraph) should be a direct comparison with quite a bit of detail. We have been told to spend 10 minutes on it, as marks are given for your ability to compare. Hope this helps!

Original post by _Charlotte15
Just wondering, for the source question do we have to compare the sources or just at the end conclude on which was more convincing in answering the question?
Reply 6
Original post by eliset
I am hoping for AII + AIII's reactionary reforms, but i reckon one of the essay q's will be thematic (i.e. economic backwardness or agriculture), and maybe another on the causes of the abdication of Nicholas II, as it wasn't in the specimen papers...

True. So do you think there will be nothing on that of the specimen? What section would you say is worth cramming/revising at this point?
Reply 7
True. So do you think there will be nothing on that of the specimen? What section would you say is worth cramming/revising at this point?

I don't think that any of the questions from the specimen will be used, possibly reworded/a different caused used in the question. From what i've heard from my friends who do economics, (another reformed subject) their specimen paper had very little crossover, if any, with their exam. At this point, i'm learning essay plans for causes of key events and themes across twenty year (ish) periods and hoping for the best !
HELP- do I need to examine the provenance of the sources?!
FAM THIS TEST IDK MAN I am confident in all things except the last few parts of the spec about the bolsheviks taking over,July days etc,
Reply 10

No, there isn't much of a provenance given. You will need to for your second history exam though :smile:
Original post by eliset
No, there isn't much of a provenance given. You will need to for your second history exam though :smile:

The Tudors. Ahh ok thank you
im doing russia in revolution 1881 - 1924, does anyone have any idea about predictions ?
Reply 13

NO - thank goodness - just for your other topic
Reply 14
Original post by SuperHuman98
FAM THIS TEST IDK MAN I am confident in all things except the last few parts of the spec about the bolsheviks taking over,July days etc,

I am cramming right now and i can underatnd it all just not the last bit too!! is it likely to come up???
Well........ How did everyone find it?
Well........ How did everyone find it?

Thought it was tough, especially the extract question. I'm really disappointed in myself because in my mocks I got 46/50 and I know I didn't get anywhere near that in the exam. Only have myself to blame though.
Reply 17
What were the questions about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending