The Student Room Group

Oxford Mathematics and A-levels (International)

Hi I'm a student in year 12,doing maths fmaths economics and chemistry
I really wanted to study Maths in Oxford and i am pretty confident that I would get at least a 95% in all of my maths according to my past papers

Economics was always my weakest subject but I enjoyed it so much, and I think i might have got a low A or high B today on my micro economics exam.

I have some questions regarding this issue and about applying internationally.
1. It seems like a really stupid question but IF i get a B in economics, is it actually the end of my life..? Meaning do I have 0% of going into Oxford?
Oh and are the actual UMS(?) or raw marks included in out UCAS application?

2. How do you calculate the overall economics grade? Is it just my micro UMS + macro UMS and divide that by 2?

3. I came to the UK last year (2015 March to be specific with a tier 2 visa because of my dad's company) and started studying A-levels in September. Even though I have studied in the UK do I still apply as an international applicant or do I just count as a UK applicant?

4. I don't have GCSEs. Does it have a detrimental effect when Im applying?

I know I should ask unis directly to be accurate but could you give me any help beforehand..? Btw I found out about the student room a few days ago and this is so helpful !! Xx
Original post by 17lina
Hi I'm a student in year 12,doing maths fmaths economics and chemistry
I really wanted to study Maths in Oxford and i am pretty confident that I would get at least a 95% in all of my maths according to my past papers

Economics was always my weakest subject but I enjoyed it so much, and I think i might have got a low A or high B today on my micro economics exam.

I have some questions regarding this issue and about applying internationally.
1. It seems like a really stupid question but IF i get a B in economics, is it actually the end of my life..? Meaning do I have 0% of going into Oxford?

No, not necessarily, especially since it's not directly relevant to the course you're applying for.

Oh and are the actual UMS(?) or raw marks included in out UCAS application?

Not in UCAS, but Oxford will have you fill in an extra form with the UMS, individual module marks, and stuff on it.

2. How do you calculate the overall economics grade? Is it just my micro UMS + macro UMS and divide that by 2?

Yes, for all of the different economics A-levels that I found. I might have missed it though, depending on what exam board you're with.

3. I came to the UK last year (2015 March to be specific with a tier 2 visa because of my dad's company) and started studying A-levels in September. Even though I have studied in the UK do I still apply as an international applicant or do I just count as a UK applicant?

For student finance purposes, you're not a UK applicant. For everything else, I think you are, but check with Oxford specifically.

4. I don't have GCSEs. Does it have a detrimental effect when Im applying?

No.
Original post by BlueSam3

Not in UCAS, but Oxford will have you fill in an extra form with the UMS, individual module marks, and stuff on it.

You're thinking of Cambridge not Oxford. Oxford University has no extra forms other than UCAS, and we don't ask for your UMS or individual module marks.

Original post by 17lina

Note that you will need to sit the MAT (Maths Admissions Test), as all Oxford Maths applicants do - see our website for more information and past papers.
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
You're thinking of Cambridge not Oxford. Oxford University has no extra forms other than UCAS, and we don't ask for your UMS or individual module marks.

Yes, yes I am.

Quick Reply

Latest