The Student Room Group

Wjec media as predictions

Scroll to see replies

Right, so I'm quickly realising how little i know and how unprepared i am for this exam so could someone help me? i know that Question 1 is the analysis on three points but what are the possible points? question 2 a and b are based around the audio visual extract (s), any ida on what they could be? Finally for 2c and 3 one has to be about representation and one has to be about audience, any ideas on what the audience question will be? i know it is reckoned that representation will be on issues or events. Also is it thought that 2c) will be the audience question or 3? i know it is all speculation at this point but any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by NOUSHIE99
Pls help me exam tomorrow what do i talk about if events and issues come up what do i talk about

Issues, talk about the examples you have studied in lessons. Choose 2-3 examples of issues in the media today (immigration, poverty and welfare etc.) say if its a threat to the U.K or deserve sympathy and help by using visual and technical codes. Also, it's best to put in depending on if it is a 2.c or 3. question, if it's a 3. question add mediation so what producers, script writers have to do in Pre-production (Research,Planning,Script writing/article writing), Production (Filming/photography, mise en scene, choice of language) then Post Production ( Editing) and add Ideology so what is the text saying about society and what does the producer gain from representing the issue that way. Then just add a paragraph of audience positioning and responses.

Events, choose 2 events that have happened recently like I chose celebrity deaths and Paris attack, in that use the Gatlung and Ruge theory so why the text is worthy to be in the news. Use Uses and Gratifications theory (what reason the audience seeks out this specific media text to fulfil their needs), Audience responses and targeting, analysis and meanings, narrative.
Original post by Beauzachoco
Right, so I'm quickly realising how little i know and how unprepared i am for this exam so could someone help me? i know that Question 1 is the analysis on three points but what are the possible points? question 2 a and b are based around the audio visual extract (s), any ida on what they could be? Finally for 2c and 3 one has to be about representation and one has to be about audience, any ideas on what the audience question will be? i know it is reckoned that representation will be on issues or events. Also is it thought that 2c) will be the audience question or 3? i know it is all speculation at this point but any help would be much appreciated.

Question 1 is normally going to be on either Audio Codes, Visual or Technical Codes, Narrative or Genre.
Question 2 a. can be either to do with audiences so that is most likely to be targeting but you could also have representation based on the video (gender, national and regional identity etc.) b. is normally just following on from a. so just answering more in depth.
I don't know what audience will be at all cause it hasn't really got a sequence unlike representation. We are thinking that 2.c will be audience and 3. Representation
My teacher has predicted that for question 1 the textual analysis will be on video games with a focus on how women are presented (I'm not sure why but thats what he has said).
And for question 3 he thinks events is going to come up which I am praying it doesn't because I have no preparation for events... We studied the Grand National 2016 and 2016 Olympics but I don't have any examples, I also have no practice for this question..
I reckon it'll be between masculinity, since I've been looking through the past papers from WJEC and it is yet to come up yet individually, as it has come up but through 'representation of gender', two summers after that femininity was the representation question and now it is two years later so possibly a turn for masculinity?
Issues has showed up once during the summer exam of 2012, so that could possibly make a return, as well as a first time appearance for events.
National identity could also make a return as that hasn't shown up in 3 years.
Those are the main four I reckon could show up, I believe that age has already showed up three times in the last 5 years, including last year (age in general, youth and old age) so I consider that an unlikely possibility. Ethnicity was also just two years ago and I doubt they'd bring up the same topic not soon after, at least for the age representation there is a more open topic to be discussed depending on the type of question asked.
Any other ideas? Any idea whether the audience question will be? Construct, response, appeal and position?
Is anyone else stressing? I am retaking this exam and I still have no clue. Literally cramming everything I possibly can into my brain ( and hopefully its going in!) Does anyone please have any case studies for Events?! I literally have no clue, and I swear I have not been talk this. I am trying to find website about it, as I wouldn't know how to answer one either. Oh, I'm stressing out :tongue: Can anyone help me please
Reply 66
You could do when Britain had there ultimate sporting weekend on 28 November 2015. It involves Fury, Vardy, Hamilton and Murray representing as British stars on the back cover.
What question do we talk about audience theories?
Reply 68
Question 2a and try to fit it in Q1 if you can.
Anyone have any idea if using the upcoming EU referendum for Events ok? I've got 2 different representations of it from tabloid/broadsheet but idk if it'll count since it hasn't happened yet.
Original post by Bennyj
Question 2a and try to fit it in Q1 if you can.

Thank you! :smile:
how can you talk about audience theory in q1? in q1 you only talk about the bulletpoints that it gives you to talk about. talk about audience theory on whichever question has audience in the title surely?
Omg by "contemporary issues" did it mean to talk about current issue events or could you talk about any kind of issue that still exists like poverty example?with use of slumdog millionaire as representation, idk does that count as contemporary
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zoeemmacfc
Omg by "contemporary issues" did it mean to talk about current issue events or could you talk about any kind of issue that still exists like poverty example?with use of slumdog millionaire as representation, idk does that count as contemporary

Contemporary issues are any case studies that are 'in the media today' dated back to the past 5 years. That exam was a blessing!!! So happy - how did everyone find it?
Original post by lauren_mh
Contemporary issues are any case studies that are 'in the media today' dated back to the past 5 years. That exam was a blessing!!! So happy - how did everyone find it?

Ohhh ok, what kind of examples/case studies did you use?
Original post by zoeemmacfc
Ohhh ok, what kind of examples/case studies did you use?

My 2 issues were mental health and body image. Case studies; jean slater from Eastenders and 'Me,Myself & Irene' film about schizophrenia - linked it to present day and then for body image i did the Dove campaign for real beauty adverts :smile:
Original post by lauren_mh
My 2 issues were mental health and body image. Case studies; jean slater from Eastenders and 'Me,Myself & Irene' film about schizophrenia - linked it to present day and then for body image i did the Dove campaign for real beauty adverts :smile:

Ah I also done body image issues, such a good one to write about . And I was just a bit confused because we had been taught and given stuff to revise for representation stuff that dates a little further back than 5 years (but within last 10 years) so idk lol
That was such a nice exam! Think I did well, how did everyone find the audio visual extract?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LewisW1805
That was such a nice exam! Think I did well, how did everyone find the audio visual extract?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, such a good exam! I think the extract was pretty good, I just wrote about connotations of success, pride, wealth and other stuff like that! :smile:
What did people write about for Q3?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending