The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE English Literature 2016

Is anyone else freaking out about the exam tomorrow? I'm doing The History Boys, To Kill a Mockingbird and, on Friday, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. For revision I have been doing past papers, creating an introduction/answer template and have been creating a bank of quotes and 'unique ideas' to use in the exam. What books are you doing and how have you been revising?

Here is a link to some past papers (under past papers and assessment):
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-english-literature-j360-from-2012/
I really recommend the June 2015 examiners report in order to understand what they are looking for in an A* answer.

Here's a link to some revision websites:
http://www.litcharts.com
http://www.shmoop.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB40-KM14RA A* in English Lit video (I found it most useful at 06:12)

Scroll to see replies

How do you structure your responses to the prose from different cultures / modern drama exams. What's in each paragraph/structure of your essay? Do you follow a structure in each paragraph? Any tips your teacher gave you, as our teachers really haven't helped us? Thanks in advance!
Also please can you give an example of a "succinct and purpose introduction" as I have no idea how to start my essays/how long an intro should be. Thanks!
Original post by Do it Right
How do you structure your responses to the prose from different cultures / modern drama exams. What's in each paragraph/structure of your essay? Do you follow a structure in each paragraph? Any tips your teacher gave you, as our teachers really haven't helped us? Thanks in advance!

For me, my preferred structure is:
Introduction; summarise where the extract is in the book, what the main themes the audience/reader learns about and the techniques used
3 PEE paragraphs; focusing on why the writer has said something and the effect on the reader. I also like to discuss the themes and context (for prose from diff...) at the end of the paragraph and bring it directly back to the question asked.
Conclusion: summarise all of your points relating directly back to how the writer creates the effects asked in the question and I prefer to end with a question like: Bennett leaves the audience questioning whether it's education for life or education for an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it true that marks are not awarded for themes analysis in the Modern Drama (the history boys for you, I think)?

Also, do you know what AO3 is, which is wanted by the examiner for Jekyll and Hyde? (I know this is on Friday)

Another tip I would give is be especially careful with SPaG for the play 40 mark answer, as 9 marks are awarded for this! 9 out of the 49 marks for that answer.
Original post by Ishan_2000
Is it true that marks are not awarded for themes analysis in the Modern Drama (the history boys for you, I think)?

Also, do you know what AO3 is, which is wanted by the examiner for Jekyll and Hyde? (I know this is on Friday)

Another tip I would give is be especially careful with SPaG for the play 40 mark answer, as 9 marks are awarded for this! 9 out of the 49 marks for that answer.

I don't believe so? Are you talking about the extract based question or the whole book question; I know virtually nothing on the whole book question as I prefer the extract question. I think you only get penalised if you discuss the theme to the virtual exclusion to all the others and don't do analysis of language as this is what A02 asks for.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463926730.283376.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
I don't believe so? Are you talking about the extract based question or the whole book question; I know virtually nothing on the whole book question as I prefer the extract question. I think you only get penalised if you discuss the theme to the virtual exclusion to all the others and don't do analysis of language as this is what A02 asks for.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463926730.283376.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I also aim to do the extract-based question. Thanks, that makes sense actually.
Thanks for that image, I have not been able to find that!
Is it okay not to do an introduction??
I've never did in my mocks, and I'm fairly happy with what I got...
I just don't know if the examiner will mark harsher than my teacher.....

To structure we've been taught to use PELAR.
Point
Evidence
Language or explaination
Alternative response
Reader or audience
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Is it okay not to do an introduction??
I've never did in my mocks, and I'm fairly happy with what I got...
I just don't know if the examiner will mark harsher than my teacher.....

As long as your 'point' is very clear from the beginning and your conclusion is very good then I personally wouldn't mark you down for it but then I'm not an examiner. Just to be safe it might be good to do one. Contrary to popular belief an introduction can be as little as 2 lines!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
As long as your 'point' is very clear from the beginning and your conclusion is very good then I personally wouldn't mark you down for it but then I'm not an examiner. Just to be safe it might be good to do one. Contrary to popular belief an introduction can be as little as 2 lines!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I'll try and fit one in. My big problem is that I usually only write 3 paragraphs because I run out of time, and that's not including a paragraph.... so I'll see how tomorrow goes.

Good Luck!
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I guess I'll try and fit one in. My big problem is that I usually only write 3 paragraphs because I run out of time, and that's not including a paragraph.... so I'll see how tomorrow goes.

Good Luck!

Thanks, you too! Good luck to everyone today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find it?! :smile:
Of Mice and Men was harder I think, I could only get dreams and loneliness but inspector calls was fine

I think it was a good exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I lik 2 us bear grannior.

Both exams were disgraceful but the Journey's End extract had a lot in it fortunately, my essay structure was weak tho
OMAM was slightly better in terms of structure but whether I wrote relevant points is up to the examiner
I say this after every English exam ever so hopefully it went better than expected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
What were the questions for Journey's End and OMAM? My daughter sat the exam this morning and she was hoping for specific themes, but should be ok if not.
Original post by fozzy999
What were the questions for Journey's End and OMAM? My daughter sat the exam this morning and she was hoping for specific themes, but should be ok if not.

Journey's End: an extract where Stanhope, Raleigh and Osborne are talking about censoring Raleigh's letter back home; how is it made powerful and disturbing?
then something about the Colonel but I don't remember that

OMAM: extract near the start of the novel, George retelling the dream for Lennie; how is it made moving and revealing?
Full text question on the theme of loneliness for ranch workers
Reply 19
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Journey's End: an extract where Stanhope, Raleigh and Osborne are talking about censoring Raleigh's letter back home; how is it made powerful and disturbing?
then something about the Colonel but I don't remember that

OMAM: extract near the start of the novel, George retelling the dream for Lennie; how is it made moving and revealing?
Full text question on the theme of loneliness for ranch workers

Thank you so much. Unfortunately she was hoping for something else but I went through the "dream" analysis with her a few weeks ago, so I hope she has remembered! That JE one might throw her.

Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending