The Student Room Group

I'm 17, she's 24

I'm in a bit of an emotional state at the moment.

I'm 17, 18 in two months, and I've been dating a girl who's 7 years older then me - she's 24. We've been going out for two months now, but we recently decided to end it. She was getting too much **** for it, being judged, and looked down on. The problem is that I love her so much.

I don't know what to do. She was the only one who appreciated me, for what I look like and what I do. She admired the fact that I have such a passion for photography. We both love each other, we did everything together. We texted each other everyday, in the morning, afternoon, and night. We would even go on little drives round Norfolk in the sun. I would sleep round her house every weekend, get up with her, have breakfast, watch television. The little things. She made me feel wanted, and happy about myself. The age gap didn't bother me, we were both happy, but people were judging her for it, making her feel like ****. She's a very private person, and she doesn't like being in the limelight - being talked about 24/7. Judged, looked down on. I shouldn't have put her through that, and the thought of her feeling like that every day makes me feel sick. I just don't know what to do. I really like her, words can't describe her much I love her. I haven't slept at all, just been thinking about her, crying, missing her. I feel like ****. Heartbroken.

What should I do? Is it acceptable to date a girl 7 years older then you. She's been to Uni, got her degree, and has just finished her MA. I'm going to Uni this year to study my degree.

What's the right thing to do here? I just don't know, deep down I want to be with her. I love her so much.
Original post by tomsmith199.ts

I'm 17, 18 in two months, and I've been dating a girl who's 7 years older then me - she's 24. We've been going out for two months now, but we recently decided to end it. She was getting too much **** for it, being judged, and looked down on. The problem is that I love her so much.

I don't know what to do. She was the only one who appreciated me, for what I look like and what I do. She admired the fact that I have such a passion for photography. We both love each other, we did everything together. We texted each other everyday, in the morning, afternoon, and night. We would even go on little drives round Norfolk in the sun. I would sleep round her house every weekend, get up with her, have breakfast, watch television. The little things. She made me feel wanted, and happy about myself. The age gap didn't bother me, we were both happy, but people were judging her for it, making her feel like ****. She's a very private person, and she doesn't like being in the limelight - being talked about 24/7. Judged, looked down on. I shouldn't have put her through that, and the thought of her feeling like that every day makes me feel sick. I just don't know what to do. I really like her, words can't describe her much I love her. I haven't slept at all, just been thinking about her, crying, missing her. I feel like ****. Heartbroken.

What should I do? Is it acceptable to date a girl 7 years older then you. She's been to Uni, got her degree, and has just finished her MA. I'm going to Uni this year to study my degree.

What's the right thing to do here? I just don't know, deep down I want to be with her. I love her so much.

You're 17, these feelings will pass shortly.
She's in her mid-20s and you're legally not yet an adult, it was always going to end badly. You were only together for a little while, I doubt you really are in love - you just think you are. Give yourself a chance to move on and you will soon forget her.
Reply 3
Just meet other people at uni if you both feel the same way once you graduate then get back together.
Although you could have kept things low key. The girls same age as me if I was dating a 17 year old which I never would anyway would not want it out in the open.

You are still a kid and you seem insecure so try building your self confidence up.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
She's in her mid-20s and you're legally not yet an adult, it was always going to end badly. You were only together for a little while, I doubt you really are in love - you just think you are. Give yourself a chance to move on and you will soon forget her.

Really? OP sounds like my parents who have been married for over 30 years.
Original post by inhuman
Really? OP sounds like my parents who have been married for over 30 years.

30 years ago though... things were different then.
Reply 6
weird as ****
Reply 7
You're not in love with her, you've made yourself believe you are.
You're only 17 and these feelings are temporary.

Just let it go, her friends are going to be different to yours. She's all matured up with a degree and stuff. Whereas, you're still planning on university. It won't work.
Reply 8
Original post by abc_123_
Personally I think the age gap is fine because age is just a number!!! You obviously really like her so maybe you should talk to her and you could start seeing each other in private. Tbh it's no one else's buisiness who you're dating and the people who are judging you are probably just bored with their life!! I hope it all works out for you :smile:
Also I'm only 16 and me and like this 23 year old which I'm sure we would get **** for xx
Age is just a number :lol: it's one thing you liking a twenty-three-year-old but what if he liked you first? Or someone a bit older, like my age (twenty-six)? Maybe that's a silly question. But be careful.

Yes, it's nobody's business, but people should be careful. Some things are daft, and age gaps can go horribly wrong because the people involved just don't understand one another. Sometimes it works out. But it doesn't seem all that common.
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
30 years ago though... things were different then.

"Always"...

Sorry but I just disagree.

i've been there, OP (age gap 5 years 16 and 21)
and it worked ok for us during the three months we were together but it work for us more than i was rather envied by most of the local guys before she moved with her parents to turkey
we still talk on facebook and have a catch up we she comes back here occasionally but the romantic chapter is in the past she's married with two kids now
Itsnobody else's business. If you love er then you should never let her go.

Ignore thosetelling you your feelings will pass, becaise they may well not. I admire your honesty.

Also, well pulled
*logs out of TSR*
Awww.....she was taking her A-levels as you were joining year 7.
Original post by Madeline_H95
Awww.....she was taking her A-levels as you were joining year 7.

It's comments like these that made her feel so ****, an uncomfortable.
Reply 15
It can work, shut up you judgemental bozos
It's comments like these that made her feel so ****, an uncomfortable.

It's true. She is dating a child. An adult woman is dating a child.
you absolute LAD
Sounds like you were living the dream man.

Quick Reply

Latest