The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Afro Tail
Do you believe in life after death?

No. And I personally think its better to not have one. Heaven might be nice for 10,000 or even like a million years, but there must be a point at which it gets boring. Then you're bored for ETERNITY. No thanks. Ill rather just take the sweet, sweet nothingness.

Also, knowing that this my only life means that I don't want to waste every day ****ing around and jacking off.
Only when the second coming of Christ arrives aka Rapture, whatever religion will then know who is the true living God.. By then, it will be too late to cry..
Original post by jstandsforjessie
Only when the second coming of Christ arrives aka Rapture, whatever religion will then know who is the true living God.. By then, it will be too late to cry..

****ing hell

The Christians are usually evasive when I ask them about this.
Original post by Leking9
How long can you go without telling people that you're an athiest? How long does it take for you to implode?

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by BRBBIT
Can you prove there isnt a giant, invisible, uncircumcised penis floating through the air?

Nope. But I can't disprove it either. I guess I'm agnostic to that idea.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nayzar
Nope. But I can't disprove it either. I guess I'm agnostic to that idea.

But the only way to practically and scientifically test the existence of the giant cock in the sky is by praying to it and seeing what happens. However, because prayer is largely proven to not work, and "successful" prayers are usually explained by other variables.

Another issue is that you do not need a giant cock to explain how the world came to be. Anything can explain it, or perhaps it just doesn't need explaining at all. In either case, giant cock appears to be simply redundant or unnecessary. After all, we live in an age in which we do not need deities to explain why things happen because we can explain things with science, or even philosophy. Meanwhile, it might have seemed necessary to attribute things to deities in the far past because knowledge of why and how things are being incredibly limited. Why, therefore, should a giant cock even need to exist in the present day? If he exists, why does he deserve worship? He commands unwarranted love for simply creating us and a sizeable chunk of humanity lives in suffering and knowing this, giant cock doesn't do anything - at this point, even a sign that he hates us would be appreciated. If there is a giant cock in the sky, why should we appease him? There is no evidence to suggest we need him as humanity has progressed so far without his veiny, throbbing assistance.
Reply 47
Original post by ChefExxxcellence
But the only way to practically and scientifically test the existence of the giant cock in the sky is by praying to it and seeing what happens. However, because prayer is largely proven to not work, and "successful" prayers are usually explained by other variables.

Another issue is that you do not need a giant cock to explain how the world came to be. Anything can explain it, or perhaps it just doesn't need explaining at all. In either case, giant cock appears to be simply redundant or unnecessary. After all, we live in an age in which we do not need deities to explain why things happen because we can explain things with science, or even philosophy. Meanwhile, it might have seemed necessary to attribute things to deities in the far past because knowledge of why and how things are being incredibly limited. Why, therefore, should a giant cock even need to exist in the present day? If he exists, why does he deserve worship? He commands unwarranted love for simply creating us and a sizeable chunk of humanity lives in suffering and knowing this, giant cock doesn't do anything - at this point, even a sign that he hates us would be appreciated. If there is a giant cock in the sky, why should we appease him? There is no evidence to suggest we need him as humanity has progressed so far without his veiny, throbbing assistance.

bruhhhh XD XD XD XD something tells me sensitive people arent gonna be happy with this. I would dig into holy books and find you some evidence but cba tbh. You believe what you wanna believe man, I'm just telling you my take on the matter haha

at the end of the day there will always be agnostics, atheists and theists. Some will convert from one to the other but that's unlikely to happen online. I do love a good discussion, but I'm not pretending to be a religious scholar or even someone who insults the other for the sake of trying to win an argument
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nayzar
bruhhhh XD XD XD XD something tells me sensitive people arent gonna be happy with this. I would dig into holy books and find you some evidence but cba tbh. You believe what you wanna believe man, I'm just telling you my take on the matter haha

at the end of the day there will always be agnostics, atheists and theists. Some will convert from one to the other but that's unlikely to happen online. I do love a good discussion, but I'm not pretending to be a religious scholar or even someone who insults the other for the sake of trying to win an argument

Well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leking9
How long can you go without telling people that you're an athiest? How long does it take for you to implode?

Lol. An athiest-vegan would be the ultimate combination.
Reply 50
Original post by popcornjpg

However unlikely the existence of a God may be, Agnosticism is the way to go

Atheism =/= outright certainty of God's non-existence
Reply 51
Original post by davidguettafan
Because it's silly to believe in things without evidence don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no evidence that God doesn't exist...that's exactly his point. science is based on the theory that there is no absolute truths, which means it can never be absolutely proven he does or doesn't exist, according to science. Thus, his question.
Reply 52
Original post by BRBBIT
No. And I personally think its better to not have one. Heaven might be nice for 10,000 or even like a million years, but there must be a point at which it gets boring. Then you're bored for ETERNITY. No thanks. Ill rather just take the sweet, sweet nothingness.

Also, knowing that this my only life means that I don't want to waste every day ****ing around and jacking off.

This proves the limits of the human mind. The fact your mind can't comprehend being constantly eternally content and entertained which is your reason for not believing in it. All you can perceive is what you do through your 5 senses, you're basically saying as it's not something you can perceive, you do not believe.
Original post by Lulu24
There's no evidence that God doesn't exist...that's exactly his point. science is based on the theory that there is no absolute truths, which means it can never be absolutely proven he does or doesn't exist, according to science. Thus, his question.

Thanks lulu

Posted from TSR Mobile

ayy lmao

the rapture that christians have been saying will happen 'soon' for a couple thousand years

also replace the word 'rapture' with the muslim/jewish/etc equivalent and the same point could be argued
Original post by popcornjpg
ayy lmao

the rapture that christians have been saying will happen 'soon' for a couple thousand years

also replace the word 'rapture' with the muslim/jewish/etc equivalent and the same point could be argued

Haha yeah :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BRBBIT

Interesting points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
Interesting points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another issue with the idea of heaven is that it suggests eternal happiness - at some point, what would make somebody happy in the afterlife would be to the detriment of somebody else. That somebody else might also seek the causation of detriment to the same person in their afterlife to achieve happiness. Does God, therefore, punish both of them or reward neither of them? Because either of those results do not achieve happiness. Does God lie to both of them about their outcomes? Then that would make God dishonest and untrustworthy, unlike what he is made out to be. If God is unable to satisfy the needs of both parties in Heaven, God cannot compensate either because both parties are dead and in a place of ultimate happiness and joy. Due to the subjectivity of both of those, if God is unable to functionally and honestly provide happiness to both parties then he is not all-powerful and Heaven isn't that great.
Another issue with the idea of heaven is that it suggests eternal happiness - at some point, what would make somebody happy in the afterlife would be to the detriment of somebody else. That somebody else might also seek the causation of detriment to the same person in their afterlife to achieve happiness. Does God, therefore, punish both of them or reward neither of them? Because either of those results do not achieve happiness. Does God lie to both of them about their outcomes? Then that would make God dishonest and untrustworthy, unlike what he is made out to be. If God is unable to satisfy the needs of both parties in Heaven, God cannot compensate either because both parties are dead and in a place of ultimate happiness and joy. Due to the subjectivity of both of those, if God is unable to functionally and honestly provide happiness to both parties then he is not all-powerful and Heaven isn't that great.

Another reason I am an atheist :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Another issue with the idea of heaven is that it suggests eternal happiness - at some point, what would make somebody happy in the afterlife would be to the detriment of somebody else That somebody else might also seek the causation of detriment to the same person in their afterlife to achieve happiness. Does God, therefore, punish both of them or reward neither of them? Because either of those results do not achieve happiness. Does God lie to both of them about their outcomes? Then that would make God dishonest and untrustworthy, unlike what he is made out to be. If God is unable to satisfy the needs of both parties in Heaven, God cannot compensate either because both parties are dead and in a place of ultimate happiness and joy. Due to the subjectivity of both of those, if God is unable to functionally and honestly provide happiness to both parties then he is not all-powerful and Heaven isn't that great.

Gonna have to explain that assumption

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest