The Student Room Group

Is it possible to average 90% in your Physics degree?

Has anyone done this or know of anyone that has done this?
Possible? yes Difficult? yes
Over-detailed analysis ahead:

I don't know of anyone who's managed that. The main problem is the Master's project. The realistic ceiling (that you can reliably get) for that is 80%. Otherwise, you have to average something like 93% in exams to pull it off. For instance at Durham, I calculate that if you got 70% in the project you'd need 96% average in the rest of the modules, not including coursework modules, for 80% you'd need 93% in the rest. If you include all the coursework modules (assuming you minimise exposure) it's 99% (70% in coursework) 95% (80% in coursework).

In terms of what top students actually get, I think maybe one or two get over 90% in exams alone, but the top overall mark would be slightly above 85% and I think that's a much more realistic goal to aim for.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Over-detailed analysis ahead:

I don't know of anyone who's managed that. The main problem is the Master's project. The realistic ceiling (that you can reliably get) for that is 80%. Otherwise, you have to average something like 93% in exams to pull it off. For instance at Durham, I calculate that if you got 70% in the project you'd need 96% average in the rest of the modules, not including coursework modules, for 80% you'd need 93% in the rest. If you include all the coursework modules (assuming you minimise exposure) it's 99% (70% in coursework) 95% (80% in coursework).

In terms of what top students actually get, I think maybe one or two get over 90% in exams alone, but the top overall mark would be slightly above 85% and I think that's a much more realistic goal to aim for.

I'm not doing a Masters. Someone in my year got 89% in his first year average (with 2 units being labs) but I have no idea whether he's replicated that for this year.

I think I have straight firsts this year (I'm in second year and averaged 77% last year), I just want to aim for the upper echelon and work my hardest to see what's possible.

edit: But yes I can see that getting 90% in final year dissertation would be, in this world, impossible lol.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending