The Student Room Group

Medicine Course

Hello, the question i want to ask is would these GCSE grades be good enough for atleast some med schools?
Core Science- A
Additional Science- A
Maths- B (yes i know it sucks)
Business- B
English - C( English isn't my first language and i can speak 3 Languages fluently)
Ethics - B (Religious studies)
GCSE ICT- A
And im currently doing Chemistry, Biology and Maths in AS Level.
Reply 1
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
Hello, the question i want to ask is would these GCSE grades be good enough for atleast some med schools?
Core Science- A
Additional Science- A
Business- B
English - C( English isn't my first language and i can speak 3 Languages fluently)
GCSE ICT- A

Did you not do triple science? You'll have to check different universities requirements on that. Some have a higher grade requirement of you only did double science.
The C in English is that English language? If so it won't meet most of the requirements for many medical schools. Would you maybe consider resitting English language only?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Core Science- A
Additional Science- A
Business- B
GCSE ICT- A

Ok this is a real mixed bag so hang in with me whilst I run through this.

Your science grades are good at A's, unfortunately you only did separate science which may put you at a disadvantage for some schools which require it, but most do not and they are good grades for science overall.

Maths at a B isnt bad, that is usually the minimum requirement for most medical schools, some require an A so watch out for that.

The real problem here is the english at a C, whether english is your first language or not you are studying in england and so probably will be classed as an english applicant. most med schools require at least a B in english, some may require less but I would look around. sadly this grade will really narrow down your choices.

overall were looking at 3A's, 3B's and a C overall. I am going to be brutally honest (not intended to be cruel I just dont think you should be led on at all - please understand) and say that these are not strong GCSEs for medicine really, most medical schools require in excess of 6A/A* grades as a minimum standard and I can only think of a couple currently that dont have that grade requirement, and sadly on some of those you will not meet their english requirement as it is higher than a C.

Good Alevel choices, but If your serious about medicine you are really going to have to smash Alevels and get great entrance exam scores to be able to compete with the applicants also applying with better GCSE grades. There is always a way though so keep believing!
Original post by mliela
Did you not do triple science? You'll have to check different universities requirements on that. Some have a higher grade requirement of you only did double science.
The C in English is that English language? If so it won't meet most of the requirements for many medical schools. Would you maybe consider resitting English language only?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i really don't know about re-sitting english exams because i'm not confident i will do very well in them. And Shouldn't universities be lenient towards students whose first language isn't english and i have only studied here in UK for 5 years.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Ok this is a real mixed bag so hang in with me whilst I run through this.

Your science grades are good at A's, unfortunately you only did separate science which may put you at a disadvantage for some schools which require it, but most do not and they are good grades for science overall.

Maths at a B isnt bad, that is usually the minimum requirement for most medical schools, some require an A so watch out for that.

The real problem here is the english at a C, whether english is your first language or not you are studying in england and so probably will be classed as an english applicant. most med schools require at least a B in english, some may require less but I would look around. sadly this grade will really narrow down your choices.

overall were looking at 3A's, 3B's and a C overall. I am going to be brutally honest (not intended to be cruel I just dont think you should be led on at all - please understand) and say that these are not strong GCSEs for medicine really, most medical schools require in excess of 6A/A* grades as a minimum standard and I can only think of a couple currently that dont have that grade requirement, and sadly on some of those you will not meet their english requirement as it is higher than a C.

Good Alevel choices, but If your serious about medicine you are really going to have to smash Alevels and get great entrance exam scores to be able to compete with the applicants also applying with better GCSE grades. There is always a way though so keep believing!

Thank you for the reply. And when you say smash your Alevels what grades would i minimum need to stand out from students who excelled at GCSE?
A-level grades won't particularly make you 'stand out' but you need a minimum of AAA.

Thank you for the reply. And when you say smash your Alevels what grades would i minimum need to stand out from students who excelled at GCSE?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
i really don't know about re-sitting english exams because i'm not confident i will do very well in them. And Shouldn't universities be lenient towards students whose first language isn't english and i have only studied here in UK for 5 years.

Unfortunately they won't make a concession for that. Even international students applying from another country have get a certain mark in IELETS I think before they can get a place. It's to ensure that everyone training to be a doctor in this country has a minimum standard of English language.
Currently your C grade is probably too low for almost all universities. Which tend to require a B or an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are unlikely to make you stand out but achieving the AAA will make it easier to show your capable

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are unlikely to make you stand out but achieving the AAA will make it easier to show your capable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you again. I will try my best to get the grades required and hopefully get accepted. Three As sure does sound a lot distressing though. would extra volunteering and work experience make my request more acceptable?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mliela
Unfortunately they won't make a concession for that. Even international students applying from another country have get a certain mark in IELETS I think before they can get a place. It's to ensure that everyone training to be a doctor in this country has a minimum standard of English language.
Currently your C grade is probably too low for almost all universities. Which tend to require a B or an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thankyou for the reply again. I will strongly considerate resitting English exam next year then if that is what it takes.
Thank you again. I will try my best to get the grades required and hopefully get accepted. Three As sure does sound a lot distressing though. would extra volunteering and work experience make my request more acceptable?

In your position I would ensure I get AAA, but I also would yes do some voluntary work (ideally as much as you can and that will make you stand out) and get some hardcore revision in for the UKCAT and this will really really help you!
In your position I would ensure I get AAA, but I also would yes do some voluntary work (ideally as much as you can and that will make you stand out) and get some hardcore revision in for the UKCAT and this will really really help you!

I can't thank you enough lol. If multiple volunteering work is what it takes for me to show them that i am more than determined to do this course then that is what i will do as for UKCAT i have already applied there and i will be doing exams in coming months and hopefully do well in that aswell. Thankyou again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending