The Student Room Group

Ccea chemistry A2 unit 1 2016 victims thread

Well how did y'all find it? Aside from a couple of tricky questions(looking at you polymerization) I thought it was reasonable enough! If the mark boundaries stay the same as last year I would be a very happy man.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
omg!

it was the most difficult paper i have ever done!!!
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.bob
Well how did y'all find it? Aside from a couple of tricky questions(looking at you polymerization) I thought it was reasonable enough! If the mark boundaries stay the same as last year I would be a very happy man.

were you able to do the titatration curve??? finding pka? and were you able to do the last question, confirming the identity of the fat or oil?

i left out about 10 marks!!!

if you did crap in this one, but did really well in the practical theory and next exam, could you still get an A* overall?
Reply 3
Original post by CERC
were you able to do the titatration curve??? finding pka? and were you able to do the last question, confirming the identity of the fat or oil?

if you did crap in this one, but did really well in the practical theory and next exam, could you still get an A* overall?

Don't worry mark bouandaries last year were rock-bottom (91/120 for an A*) and i think they will be comparable this year so even if you left out 10 marks there is still a chance :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Mr.bob
Don't worry mark bouandaries last year were rock-bottom (91/120 for an A*) and i think they will be comparable this year so even if you left out 10 marks there is still a chance :smile:

did you think it compared with the other past papers?

i thought it was atrocious! were you able to attempt all of them well?
Reply 5
Original post by CERC

For finding pKa, ka was equal to 10^-Ka but first you had to find pKa to do that you read of the equivence point from te curve i think and subbed this into the expression they gave you.
Reply 6
Original post by CERC
did you think it compared with the other past papers?

i thought it was atrocious! were you able to attempt all of them well?

Yeah but i was really pushed for time so alot of it was rushed meaning i inevitably f'ed up some of the maths
Reply 7
Original post by Mr.bob
Yeah but i was really pushed for time so alot of it was rushed meaning i inevitably f'ed up some of the maths

omg! same!

I completely messed up the last calculation, with the iodine? you have to use KC or something! can you remember what you got? i got like a really big number!!!
Reply 8
Original post by CERC
omg! same!

I completely messed up the last calculation, with the iodine? you have to use KC or something! can you remember what you got? i got like a really big number!!!

Im on the other end of the spectrum, think i got like o.7 or so. I felt like i was missing something in that. My equation was Kc = the [product]/[iodine][other reactant] :frown: and then i multiplied that answer by 254
Reply 9
Original post by Mr.bob
Im on the other end of the spectrum, think i got like o.7 or so. I felt like i was missing something in that. My equation was Kc = the [product]/[iodine][other reactant] :frown: and then i multiplied that answer by 254

wasnt KC like 13 or something?

so i times by 0.01 and divided by 0.001 and got like 130, and times that by 254.

but when i substituted everything in, my numbers didnt work out!

what other questions did you find hard?
what do you think the next paper will be like?
Reply 10
Original post by CERC

so i times by 0.01 and divided by 0.001 and got like 130, and times that by 254.

Really didnt like the question on determing the order of reaction of iodine. I wasnt sure if you used colorimetry or not and plotted the conc againt time or rate againt conc.

Unit 2 yuck...really depends on how sadistic ccea are feeling but i do feel more confident with unit 2 material
Original post by CERC

I did exactly the same thing at first, 130 is actually 1/, so the inverse of 130 is 0.7...
Where can you find out the previous mark boundaries at?
Original post by RyanKane98
Where can you find out the previous mark boundaries at?

See if you go to the CCEA chemistry website, click the support materials section in gce chemistry. There should be a tab for grade boundaries 😊
Reply 14
Worst paper ever 🙈. Just wondered what anyone else got for the last saponification question ??
Reply 15
Original post by CCG88
Worst paper ever 🙈. Just wondered what anyone else got for the last saponification question ??

3.33mg or something like that?
Reply 16
Original post by CCG88

couldnt agree with you more!

I felt like i'd been slapped in the face!!!

That question with the cyanoethanote seemed to go on for ages!!!
Reply 17
Original post by Mr.bob
3.33mg or something like that?

there was a question that said 'why did it run clear?' it was something to do with using KOH, what did you say can you remember?

and what did you say for using ethanolic KOH?
Reply 18
Original post by CERC
couldnt agree with you more!

I felt like i'd been slapped in the face!!!

That question with the cyanoethanote seemed to go on for ages!!!

I know ccea had such a fetish for it in that paperl lol
Reply 19
Original post by CERC
there was a question that said 'why did it run clear?' it was something to do with using KOH, what did you say can you remember?

and what did you say for using ethanolic KOH?

What was your saponification value?
Runs cleaf--->all the fat had been hydrolysed
Ethanol as a solvent------>potassiim hydroxide dissolves more readily?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending