The Student Room Group

IB Subjects Advice?

So next year I'll be beginning my first year of DP and I would like some advice with my chosen subjects

HL: Business, Economics, Lang & Lit
SL: Math, Physics, AB Intio French (new language for me)

I have an aim for a 7 in all subjects, and a 6 in Math and French. If you have taken any of these courses could you give me some tips when I start? It would help me next year a lot.
If you would also tell me what uni course these subjects would appeal most to please tell me.

Advice would be great! Thanks!
Original post by neeharika22
So next year I'll be beginning my first year of DP and I would like some advice with my chosen subjects

I have an aim for a 7 in all subjects, and a 6 in Math and French. If you have taken any of these courses could you give me some tips when I start? It would help me next year a lot.
If you would also tell me what uni course these subjects would appeal most to please tell me.

If I were to give you advice, I would say maybe take Economics and not Business as well, because there's a lot of overlap and some universities may not like that? But I'm no expert in IB so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

I would say that your choice most appeals to Economics, but it's your decision as to what subject you choose to study at university! Also, they may require Maths at HL. Again, I wouldn't know.
Do not take Maths HL like under no circumstances, you may run into difficulties with economics higher so if you're just taking it to fill a space I would highly recommend you reconsider and choose an easier higher. If your goal university course doesn't specify that you have to take math standard then take math studies, it's the most stress free way to get a high grade and it's best to just take it from the start rather than from the inevitable drop down halfway through year 12
Original post by Edminzodo
If I were to give you advice, I would say maybe take Economics and not Business as well, because there's a lot of overlap and some universities may not like that? But I'm no expert in IB so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

I would say that your choice most appeals to Economics, but it's your decision as to what subject you choose to study at university! Also, they may require Maths at HL. Again, I wouldn't know.

I don't agree, I took both Business and Economics at HL and found that there was minimal overlap. And where there was overlap the subjects complemented each other, as they require the same style and level of thinking. But yeah as Edminzodo said if you want to go to a good uni ot study Econs you will probably need HL Maths
Reply 4
Original post by neeharika22

Business is very interesting and I prefer it over economics. But my advice is that you not take both together. You should do some research.

Math SL is easy and English lit HLis very interesting and I enjoy it the most. We did Sizwe Bansi is dead and it was dope. And are English teacher was the best so IB English and lit was the best thing that happened to me.

I advice you do a lot of research and not be discouraged
I wish you the best of luck with IB :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending