The Student Room Group

Options?

I was looking through a universities course modules thing and I came across "compulsory" and "optional" subjects. What are optional subjects?
Are they subjects that you can choose to study independently or .....
Original post by ActuallyIDo
I was looking through a universities course modules thing and I came across "compulsory" and "optional" subjects. What are optional subjects?

they are ones that you will be taught on but do not need to take to go onto the next year
compulsory ones will have a related one to it in the following year
Original post by ActuallyIDo

Compulsory modules are ones that you have to take that year
Optional modules - you choose so many credits of these but you can chose between the optional modules available to do (so your total credits for that year is 120)
Original post by Jay018
they are ones that you will be taught on but do not need to take to go onto the next year
compulsory ones will have a related one to it in the following year

Not true, you need to take optional modules and pass them to make your credits up to progress to the next year. You also are not taught all optional modules, you choose so many to take dependent on the amount of spare credits you have
Thank You
Reply 5
Optional modules at my uni are ones which you choose from a list of available subjects. So say you need to take two optional modules in a year - you would be given a list of seven modules from which you would have to select two.

Once you have chosen those two, they become a full part of your formal degree and its marking scheme. You need to pass them in the same way that you need to pass compulsory modules.
Reply 6
Hieverybody !!!I come fromBelgium, I am a new member and I am looking for a good university in London ...I wouldlike to join a Master in HR abroad for one semester I wouldlike to improve my EnglishCan yougive me some advice, please?Thank youvery much :smile:l_s4��"�Y
it's a unit you take and you can take option one option 2 etc so in electronics for instance you could take say "Robotics and Automation or Communication Signal Processing or Sensors" and one of those would carry points towards your degree so Robotics and Automation if you chose that would carry 40 cat points.
Sometimes you need to have taken a previous optional module to take a later one. Eg. Having had to pass optional module X in 1st term 2nd year to be able to take optional module Y 1st term 3rd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending