The Student Room Group

My mum won’t let me stay at the student accommodation I want to stay at

The accommodation I want to stay at which is really my last option I’ve got as all the rest has gone, is in a dodgy area and my mum won’t let go to that one as its in a dodgy area. I don’t really know what to do
Original post by Anonymous
The accommodation I want to stay at which is really my last option I’ve got as all the rest has gone, is in a dodgy area and my mum won’t let go to that one as its in a dodgy area. I don’t really know what to do

I can think of two options:

1. Ask her to arrange an alternative (they she'll realise that the only option left is the one you found).
2. Tell her that you're an adult now (I assume you're 18?), and that you get to make these sorts of decision now.

(I suspect option 2 won't go down too well.)
Reply 2
Get her to work through the options with you so she understands that there are no other options.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
I can think of two options:

1. Ask her to arrange an alternative (they she'll realise that the only option left is the one you found).
2. Tell her that you're an adult now (I assume you're 18?), and that you get to make these sorts of decision now.

(I suspect option 2 won't go down too well.)

There is an alternative but it’s with three third years and I feel like they will already have their friends and everything. Yeah I’m 18 but my parents are paying for the accommodation as my student loan doesn’t cover it enough
Reply 4
What accomodation do they have for people on results day is there no option to be put at the top of a waiting list assuming this is first year your going into
There is an alternative but it’s with three third years and I feel like they will already have their friends and everything. Yeah I’m 18 but my parents are paying for the accommodation as my student loan doesn’t cover it enough

OK, well if they're contributing to the cost of your accommodation then I guess it's only reasonable that they have some say in it.

@Cote1 suggested working through the options with your Mum. Have you tried that? (At the moment it seems like you're saying to her, "I want to live at X" and she's saying "No". If you go through the options together, it might help her realise that you have few alternatives.)

I understand that this might be frustrating, but if the accommodation you want is in a dodgy area it might be worth considering this one. Being in a flat with only 1st years doesn't guarantee you'll all become friends. I wasn't particularly close with my 1st year flatmates. Think about how you'll feel going home alone when it's dark in a dodgy area and think about whether it's worth it. Just something to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending