The Student Room Group

C++ vs Python

I want to learn either language this summer, to write very simple trading algorithms based on price data. This is purely as a hobby and also something I would certainly drop down on my CV. However, also taking into account that I want to work in IB/AM, I want a language that is looked favorably upon, and which can be strongly utilised on the job.

So the question is Python or C++? I understand that C++ is significantly harder in contrast to Python, which does not have a weird syntax, etc. However, time is also very scarce, and I want the best possible outcome.

Any suggestions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by glebp
I want to learn either language this summer, to write very simple trading algorithms based on price data. This is purely as a hobby and also something I would certainly drop down on my CV. However, also taking into account that I want to work in IB/AM, I want a language that is looked favorably upon, and which can be strongly utilised on the job.

So the question is Python or C++? I understand that C++ is significantly harder in contrast to Python, which does not have a weird syntax, etc. However, time is also very scarce, and I want the best possible outcome.

Any suggestions?

PYTHON definitely.
Goodluck.
Reply 2
Firstly, great on you taking the initiative to learn a language this summer! :smile:

Both languages are good to learn as a basis for developing your core logic and syntax skills and will do the job of running simple algorithms. I would strongly lean towards Python as it is easier to pick up and has many open source data analytics extensions libraries (numpy, pandas) you can leverage. It's also the industry standard (because screw R) for analytics, meaning that you'll also be able to read other people's code when working together on business analytics projects.
Original post by glebp

Any suggestions?

Definitely Python, you'll find it much easier to learn as it's your first language.
After you're comfortable with Python you can extend to Java and C++.

You'll never regret learning a language!

I also suggest using the Python IDLE on Windows, as the Mac interface is no good.
I've learnt Python and then went on to learn Java and now learning C++. If you need any recourses, learning tips or anything code-related, my inbox is always open.
Appreciate the insightful responses, guys. I know what I will be doing soon..

Cheers :smile:
python is easire, but I'd say learn C++ as then python will be a piece of cake (learn Java while you're at it and you have 'the holy trinity'). Check out www.quantopian.com if you want to learn python while having a platform to write trading algos and a decent backtester - and shedloads of data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending