The Student Room Group

Special consideration - missed exam

I read the pdf about how a mark is made when a candidate misses an exam with good reason and i didnt understand it.

How do they calculate a mark? In simple terms as the pdf made no sense to me. My son was in hospital on the day of the exam so i couldnt possibly have made it. Im just worried ill end up with a bad mark. And have to resit the whole course when im doing an access course next year.

Thanks!
You should speak to the exam officer about making a special consideration claim. Do it asap as tere is a time limit.
If you have missed an exam and if they accept your reason as a valid one then they can give you a grade as long as you have completed at least 50% of the assessment. My understanding is they grade you based on your performance in the parts you have taken.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You should speak to the exam officer about making a special consideration claim. Do it asap as tere is a time limit.
If you have missed an exam and if they accept your reason as a valid one then they can give you a grade as long as you have completed at least 50% of the assessment. My understanding is they grade you based on your performance in the parts you have taken.

Hi thanks! My college sent off a claim today with evidence of my son being in the hospital. I just really hope that my overall grade will be good enough to.not have to resit the whole linear course :frown: thanks again
Original post by ChloeLynn97
Hi thanks! My college sent off a claim today with evidence of my son being in the hospital. I just really hope that my overall grade will be good enough to.not have to resit the whole linear course :frown: thanks again

If you tag the poster compost, then she is an exam officer, so she might be kind enough to give you better guidance or ofc talk to your own exam officer. I've looked it up before but cant see where I got the idea of how they figure the grade out. I seem to recall it was based on your perfomance in the exams you did take assuming you met the min criteria. I now cnat find where I read that which os annoying me.

Which exam board was it?

Update I had a look at the JCQ regs Chapter 4 p8-9 and cant see where it says and have a feeling it doesnt.

I did find on the AQA exam site under special consideration. You will need to check with the exam board you have taken.

The calculation of the missing mark takes into account the student's performance in the other comparable units of the exam and the national average for those units. This method is considered to be fair and consistent.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-consideration
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest