The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Hello, long time no here!

Is there a "special table" for radioactive elements (and isotopes) where the half periods can be recognised? or a list which contains the half periods of all kinds of radioactive elements? I have a big interest in that at the moment.
Hello

Can someone please describe and explain the differences between the interference pattern from double-slit and diffraction grating?

Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by TaraStilton
Hello

Can someone please describe and explain the differences between the interference pattern from double-slit and diffraction grating?

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Differences:

- the interference in a diffraction grating causes more minimums in comparison to double slit, see here
- the diffraction grating has many different maximums, the one which have small amplitudes and the one which have great amplitudes (see the link).
- the double slit has three maximums with equal amplitudes (see the link).
- That is why the diffraction grating has differences in brightness, while the double slit has three equal brightnesses (see the link).
Original post by Kallisto
Differences:

- the interference in a diffraction grating causes more minimums in comparison to double slit, see here
- the diffraction grating has many different maximums, the one which have small amplitudes and the one which have great amplitudes (see the link).
- the double slit has three maximums with equal amplitudes (see the link).
- That is why the diffraction grating has differences in brightness, while the double slit has three equal brightnesses (see the link).

Thanks!

The thing I don't get is why double slit has equal amplitudes whilst single slit has varying maxima and minima?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TaraStilton
Thanks!

The thing I don't get is why double slit has equal amplitudes whilst single slit has varying maxima and minima?

Perhaps this picture helps you.

As you can see the highest maximum is in the middle, while the maxima on the left and right side are getting fainter. That has something to do with distribution of intensity. Its most affected in the middle, but the more the light waves are away from the middle, the fainter the intensities are. The same applies to minima.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, that is right. After 'shooting' by a neutron, it comes to a decay of the nucleus, so particles are emitted. That is the radioactive ray. From this perspective, even a hydrogen nucleus can be destabilized by hitting it.

Element 114 sounds interesting. Maybe I have a closer look at it next time.
Hello and merry christmas to you for first!

You said not that long ago that you are very interest in particles and the characteristics of it. What about the physical aspects of them?

Would love to know the principle of photoionisation and how it works. That is why I have so many questions: what is the difference between photoionisation and stimulation of an electron by a photon in general? which circumstances have to come true that photoionisation happens? are there huge differences between 'normal' ionisation and photoionisation? thanks!
Ahh, it's a while since I studied Physic's now :frown:
used to love it as a subject, but don't study it now. I did AS Level (and failed, it's a long and complicated story though) then went onto a Diploma and now at uni both In Outdoor Activities (not much Physics nowdays :frown:)

However, as I only did AS level/GCSE that is completely beyond me!

Something simpler would be nice, but either way Hello Physics my old friend...
That is to say only photons in ultraviolet range are energy-rich enough to ionise electrons, so to overcome the attactrion of the nucleus. I see.

(...)I don't know for sure but I'd wager that all uv wavelengths can do is kick out valence electrons. (...)
Well. So photoionisation works only, if electrons are on the outermost electron paths?

(...)Photo ionisation isn't particularly common though. The photons are really weakly ionising so you need a big dose of them to get the same damage as an alpha particle or beta plus or minus etc. Having said that, it's still pretty dangerous. There was this one guy (this is a well known story but I can't remember his name) back when the imaging use of X-rays was discovered who worked in a photography shop. They had an X-ray producing thing (most likely something like a cathode ray tube) and used it to amaze customers by getting the poor sod I mentioned above to show off the bones in his hands on photographic film (I can't remember the name of the film they use but it's 3am so meh). The guy had to quit the job 4 days in because his hands had become swollen bright red blobs of dermatitis and the skin was peeling off them (if you're eating while reading this I'm sorry!).(...)

I see. Have never thought that photons are able to gain such a high energy that it is the same like X-ray particles (in energy levels at least). It stands to reason why this method of ionisation is not often used in physics.

To sum up the essentials of photoionisation:
1. It need high energy levels to work anyway.
2. This energy level is equal to the one of X-rays, that is why it is very dangerous.
3. Even if this required energy was achieved by photons, electrons have to be on the valence path to be ionised, otherwise the attraction of the nucleus is too strong.

Am I right with my thoughts?
I see. If photons have the wavelengths of X-rays, the photons are even able to ionize electrons which are not on valence electrons and so on inner electron paths. Have taken a closer look on the picture of photoionisation. Can more than one electron be ionised on inner shells, if the wavelength of a photon is greater than the one of an x-ray? would interpret b.) so. After ionizing electrons from higher paths are going into the "holes" and an emission of light comes into being, right?
Hello, me after a while!

I have heard that physicists have discovered gravitational waves. The one which were supposed by Einstein, but would never be discovered after his estimation. Do you know more about that?
Hello, me after a while!

I have heard that physicists have discovered gravitational waves. The one which were supposed by Einstein, but would never be discovered after his estimation. Do you know more about that?

The full paper is up online if you want to see the graphs - I expect it's not behind a paywall because of government funding.

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102

the list of authors is crazy... and afaik they have to pick just 3 of them for the Nobel
Original post by Joinedup
The full paper is up online if you want to see the graphs - I expect it's not behind a paywall because of government funding.

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102

the list of authors is crazy... and afaik they have to pick just 3 of them for the Nobel

Have taken a closer look in the last week to the gravitational waves. Just to understand the meaning of these ones:

If two neutron stars or two black holes are circling each other, a distortion of space-time comes into being what emits gravitational waves which are causing a length variation of objects in the range of those waves. That is to say the objects are getting shorter or longer, even if its a tiny bit. And this length of variation was proved by high sensitive lasers which were really changed in their length a little tiny bit.

Yeah, that is right. three people at the maximum are just able to win a nobel prize in physics in a year, not only in physics, but also in another categories.
Have taken a closer look in the last week to the gravitational waves. Just to understand the meaning of these ones:

If two neutron stars or two black holes are circling each other, a distortion of space-time comes into being what emits gravitational waves which are causing a length variation of objects in the range of those waves. That is to say the objects are getting shorter or longer, even if its a tiny bit. And this length of variation was proved by high sensitive lasers which were really changed in their length a little tiny bit.

Yeah, that is right. three people at the maximum are just able to win a nobel prize in physics in a year, not only in physics, but also in another categories.

did you notice the estimate of the amount energy radiated as GW?... is the mass of our sun and the estimate is 3 ±0.5Mʘc2

FWIW the GW paper has been quickly followed up by an announcement of a possible gamma ray burst from the same source...http://gammaray.nsstc.nasa.gov/gbm/publications/preprints/gbm_ligo_preprint.pdf
there are (at least) two types of gamma ray busts and one of them is widely supposed to come from colliding neutron stars.
Hello guys. For someone who has little physics knowledge (A-level) and is eager to learn more, would you say the Feynman lectures are a good start?
Original post by champ_mc99
Hello guys. For someone who has little physics knowledge (A-level) and is eager to learn more, would you say the Feynman lectures are a good start?

Yeah :smile:

Feynman was a brilliant teacher. Definitely worth your time.
Original post by hezzlington
Yeah :smile:

Feynman was a brilliant teacher. Definitely worth your time.

Lol thought I was never going to get an answer. Cheers mate, that's on my 'after exams to-do-list'. :smile:
Original post by champ_mc99
Lol thought I was never going to get an answer. Cheers mate, that's on my 'after exams to-do-list'. :smile:

It's a long read haha.

You can get all volumes free from the Caltech website. Electromagnetism is one of the most beautiful topics in Physics (Vol 2?).
Original post by hezzlington
It's a long read haha.

You can get all volumes free from the Caltech website. Electromagnetism is one of the most beautiful topics in Physics (Vol 2?).

Looked on the site. Compiled very nicely. I hope AS knowledge is enough to get a decent start. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest