The Student Room Group

I keep failing all my biology tests

Hi
I'm in lower sixth and I've been failing every biology test since the start of the school year. I do put in effort. I revise and I try my best. But every time I just don't see results. I've thought maybe it's my revision technique but I've changed certain aspects of how I revise and I just don't know what to do anymore. I just want to give up on becoming a doctor because if I'm finding it hard now then il probably Struggle with medicine.
Even if I don't want to study medicine at uni anymore. I have no idea what other course I'd study at uni because every other course such as bio chemistry etc do not appeal to me.
I'm an IB student by the way.
Any advice?
Original post by blkonblk
Hi
I'm in lower sixth and I've been failing every biology test since the start of the school year. I do put in effort. I revise and I try my best. But every time I just don't see results. I've thought maybe it's my revision technique but I've changed certain aspects of how I revise and I just don't know what to do anymore. I just want to give up on becoming a doctor because if I'm finding it hard now then il probably Struggle with medicine.
Even if I don't want to study medicine at uni anymore. I have no idea what other course I'd study at uni because every other course such as bio chemistry etc do not appeal to me.
I'm an IB student by the way.
Any advice?

You really need to talk to your teachers and work out why you're not improving. Do you find understanding the material difficult, or is it exam technique? Do you enjoy biology? I know you'll be doing the new specification, so how are other people in your class doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by pineneedles
You really need to talk to your teachers and work out why you're not improving. Do you find understanding the material difficult, or is it exam technique? Do you enjoy biology? I know you'll be doing the new specification, so how are other people in your class doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people are doing fine except myself and just a few others. I think I'm finding it difficult to understand the material as there is a lot of detail compared to GCSE Biology. Maybe it's my revision technique. But I have tried so many techniques. I do enjoy Biology and I really want to do well in it. I have spoken to my Biology teachers and they try to encourage me. They've told me to visit certain Biology websites for revision and they offer support lessons. But its really frustrating because I'm not making progress. I don't know how to go about revising anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blkonblk
Most people are doing fine except myself and just a few others. I think I'm finding it difficult to understand the material as there is a lot of detail compared to GCSE Biology. Maybe it's my revision technique. But I have tried so many techniques. I do enjoy Biology and I really want to do well in it. I have spoken to my Biology teachers and they try to encourage me. They've told me to visit certain Biology websites for revision and they offer support lessons. But its really frustrating because I'm not making progress. I don't know how to go about revising anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What methods have you tried to revise? And have you tried going to these support lessons?
Have you got a list of the topics you're struggling with specifically? When you're revising, do you feel like you're focusing on the topics that you actually find difficult? (I know that sounds stupid, but I know from past experience that I tend to end up revising the stuff I'm more comfortable with) I know it can help if you're struggling to understand something to read and collect notes about it from many different sources, one website or video or whatever might explain it in a way that makes sense, so I would advise reading as many different textbooks, websites and watching as many relevant videos as you can.
What grades/marks ar you getting at the moment, and what's your target?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think some people naturally find some subjects harder than others and not because they are harder just the way they are wired.
My Daughter eats maths and chemistry and physics for breakfast but struggles with biology and history.
She is up in her room now doing some last minute cramming for her history GCSE that she is going in to take at 1:30 today. I know she will do poorly because for some reason it just wont go in unlike other subjects.
I don't know what to say to you other than you aren't alone, as you seem to be doing all the right things.
Keep at it and good luck.:wink:
The best revision technique is past exam papers, learn by doing.
maybe look at the specification content? :wink:
Reply 7
I found problems with bright students I've done biology with is, is that they try to understand the material, instead of just remembering and learning, and make biology more complicated for themselves. Protein synthesis, for example, seems so complicated - but when you break it down and just see it as a basic process, really it isn't.

Crash Course do some good and interesting Youtube videos, if that helps.
Reply 8
Original post by pineneedles

What methods have you tried to revise? And have you tried going to these support lessons?
Have you got a list of the topics you're struggling with specifically? When you're revising, do you feel like you're focusing on the topics that you actually find difficult? (I know that sounds stupid, but I know from past experience that I tend to end up revising the stuff I'm more comfortable with) I know it can help if you're struggling to understand something to read and collect notes about it from many different sources, one website or video or whatever might explain it in a way that makes sense, so I would advise reading as many different textbooks, websites and watching as many relevant videos as you can.
What grades/marks ar you getting at the moment, and what's your target?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I understand. I have tried mnemonics, flash cards, mind maps, pictures to summarise and videos. I'm getting level 3's at the moment and I would really like a level 5 by the time I do my January mocks next year.
Reply 9
Thanks everyone.
I was the same in biology. My problem was the lack of exam practice and looking at the mark scheme and spec. Most of the time I would know the awnser but it wouldn't be specific enough. You need to find out exactly what the examiners are looking for and include it in your awnser.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending