The Student Room Group

AQA Resistant Materials Unit 1 Exam THURSDAY

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daffy786
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to draw with a ruler in the exam... not necessarily free hand. I would revise materials and key processes. Do you mind sharing some of your ideas for the drawings?

Well I basically copied the designs off the internet. I did 3 sitting products, 3 kneeling products and 3 storage products. If it asks for 5 then I can always adapt.

I have a question though, once you've finished drawing do you need to annotate your drawings to explain your choices of detail? My teacher has never made this clear.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Well I basically copied the designs off the internet. I did 3 sitting products, 3 kneeling products and 3 storage products. If it asks for 5 then I can always adapt.

I have a question though, once you've finished drawing do you need to annotate your drawings to explain your choices of detail? My teacher has never made this clear.

It is only the final developed drawing that needs to be annotated with materials,possible processes, measurements finishes etc.
I'd advise you all to download Gojimo and install the DT RM Pack.
I've been using it as Brief revision, to see what I know and do not know.
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to draw with a ruler in the exam... not necessarily free hand. I would revise materials and key processes. Do you mind sharing some of your ideas for the drawings?

Yeah you are allowed ruler.
Just below are my ideas.
I've done nothing for it. Been focusing too much on my sciences. I have done about 10-15 ideas though in class which is not bad considering the context contributes to 25% of the exam.

Anyone have any topics I should revise?

EDIT: I'm actually really worried about the exam because I can't draw. I don't know how I'm going to overcome this because section A is worth 25% and I need to be scoring as many marks as possible. I can draw some 3D designs with a ruler pretty well but when it comes to freehand, I looks like a baby's mess! Do the quality of my drawings have a huge impact on the marks I get awarded?

Yes - quality plays a huge impact on your marks - the clearer the better - part of DT is your ability to draw pictures of what you are making, thus you are being examined on it.
You should revise all topic from AQA textbook and revise with CGP textbook.
Can Someone post a picture of their designs...

Spoiler

Here:

Spoiler

Original post by Bulletzone
How have you done,

5 Kneelers
5 Storage Units and
5 Sitters

and I'm here with just 3 designs :colonhash:

Just realised - I only did 5 things for somehting which is:
A kneeler or sitter
Something to help elderly people with small tools e.g trowel/hoe/rake/fork/dibber
Storgae unit.
They are attached above.

Yes, You can see that my final drawing is highly annotated, this is what that should look like. On my initial ideas I have not annotated them, but you should - help them understand things they cannot see on the drawing, basic measurements, give basic annotation - perhaps two or three labels and a short explanation of one feature.
It is only the final developed drawing that needs to be annotated with materials,possible processes, measurements finishes etc.

For the final drawing you should annotate with the following:
Materials and reasons for your choices.
Finishes, how they are applied and reasons for your choices.
In detail how every bit will be made/joined/connected/shaped.
Features of your design and how they work (e.g hinges/wheels/locking mechanisms etc.)
How your design is suited to the elderly.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Martins1
Yeah you are allowed ruler.
Just below are my ideas.

Yes - quality plays a huge impact on your marks - the clearer the better - part of DT is your ability to draw pictures of what you are making, thus you are being examined on it.
You should revise all topic from AQA textbook and revise with CGP textbook.

Here:

Spoiler

Just realised - I only did 5 things for somehting which is:
A kneeler or sitter
Something to help elderly people with small tools e.g trowel/hoe/rake/fork/dibber
Storgae unit.
They are attached above.

Yes, You can see that my final drawing is highly annotated, this is what that should look like. On my initial ideas I have not annotated them, but you should - help them understand things they cannot see on the drawing, basic measurements, give basic annotation - perhaps two or three labels and a short explanation of one feature.

Features of your design and how they work (e.g hinges/wheels/locking mechanisms etc.)
How your design is suited to the elderly.

Those are some good drawings! The thing I've noticed though is that the question asks to sketch so my drawings do not exactly need to be perfect but show the basic idea of my design?
Original post by martins1
yeah you are allowed ruler.
Just below are my ideas.

Yes - quality plays a huge impact on your marks - the clearer the better - part of dt is your ability to draw pictures of what you are making, thus you are being examined on it.
You should revise all topic from aqa textbook and revise with cgp textbook.

Here:

Spoiler

just realised - i only did 5 things for somehting which is:
A kneeler or sitter
something to help elderly people with small tools e.g trowel/hoe/rake/fork/dibber
storgae unit.
They are attached above.

Yes, you can see that my final drawing is highly annotated, this is what that should look like. On my initial ideas i have not annotated them, but you should - help them understand things they cannot see on the drawing, basic measurements, give basic annotation - perhaps two or three labels and a short explanation of one feature.

how your design is suited to the elderly.

thank you so much!:colondollar:
Those are some good drawings! The thing I've noticed though is that the question asks to sketch so my drawings do not exactly need to be perfect but show the basic idea of my design?

Thank you very much! Well for the one with multiple ideas you have to get your idea across accurately - if they don't understand it, they therefore won't give it marks. Here is what the mark scheme says about getting 3/3 for each intial idea:
An original idea that provides light. It displays several creative design features and ergonomics has been considered.So if your ergonomics and design features don't come through, you cannot get to the full marks, I suppose. The quality of your drawing is being examined - my teacher told me that those drawing I attached may not quite get full marks because all they are clear and pretty easy to understand, and of a decent quality, they are still not of the highest quality. But he also said that he could be seen as panickity because he wants us all to get A*s...

With the expanded drawing, this needs to be of high quality, as similarly to above, if they can't see the functions or what its meant to be, well you are not gonna do well...

thank you so much!:colondollar:

No problemo :smile: Feel free to comment on ideas you like/don't like and why and any suggestions you have - all our highly appreciated! :smile:
Thank you very much! Well for the one with multiple ideas you have to get your idea across accurately - if they don't understand it, they therefore won't give it marks. Here is what the mark scheme says about getting 3/3 for each intial idea:
An original idea that provides light. It displays several creative design features and ergonomics has been considered.So if your ergonomics and design features don't come through, you cannot get to the full marks, I suppose. The quality of your drawing is being examined - my teacher told me that those drawing I attached may not quite get full marks because all they are clear and pretty easy to understand, and of a decent quality, they are still not of the highest quality. But he also said that he could be seen as panickity because he wants us all to get A*s...

With the expanded drawing, this needs to be of high quality, as similarly to above, if they can't see the functions or what its meant to be, well you are not gonna do well...

No problemo :smile: Feel free to comment on ideas you like/don't like and why and any suggestions you have - all our highly appreciated! :smile:

But thats ok! You don't need 30/30 for this section to still get an A*! Tbh I would be happy for 15/30 as I am a poor drawer and since the grade boundaries are around 90 I would only need 75 more for the A*. But I apparently need less anyways because my coursework was an A*!
But thats ok! You don't need 30/30 for this section to still get an A*! Tbh I would be happy for 15/30 as I am a poor drawer and since the grade boundaries are around 90 I would only need 75 more for the A*. But I apparently need less anyways because my coursework was an A*!

This section is typically 35 marks I believe. And although you don't need full marks, it's still better if you can help it - especially since this is in effect preprepared. This is why if you can use a ruler to get better drawings, you should. Similarly, I am practicng my drawing often to improve my hand drawing and my drawing of these specific things.
Oh and if you have time, you should go back and fine line all your drawings and if you have any more time, colour them.
This section is typically 35 marks I believe. And although you don't need full marks, it's still better if you can help it - especially since this is in effect preprepared. This is why if you can use a ruler to get better drawings, you should. Similarly, I am practicng my drawing often to improve my hand drawing and my drawing of these specific things.
Oh and if you have time, you should go back and fine line all your drawings and if you have any more time, colour them.

But would Colour boost your mark at all?
But would Colour boost your mark at all?

It improves the quality of your drawings and better represents what you are trying to show - my teacher says that they always want drawings/sketches to be coloured and all the exemplar ones on the mark schemes are always coloured :smile:
Looking back, I highly doubt AQA will bring up a kneeler......

I'd still advise you to do it, but a kneeler is so boring and It shall limit the creativity and stuff, but a seat is more likely to happen.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'd still advise you to do it, but a kneeler is so boring and It shall limit the creativity and stuff, but a seat is more likely to happen.

What about a trolley or a hand support device?

When I say kneeler, I just mean kneeler and/or sitter - they wouldn't just do a kneeler I don't think.

Unlikely, as that is not specific to gardening.

When I say kneeler, I just mean kneeler and/or sitter - they wouldn't just do a kneeler I don't think.Unlikely, as that is not specific to gardening.

Hand support device is a definite no (I hope). Think about it, everyone shall be doing the same thing diminishing the originality side of the marking.
I'm spending more time on Storage for Gardening, e.g. Pull-carts and stuff and Seats with storage. I shall only do:
2 Kneelers
1 Developed hand support device
3 Seats (I may show u them later, as I currently have one)
5 pulling things to place all your equipment (which I feel shall most likely thing to come up).
(edited 7 years ago)
Hand support device is a definite no (I hope). Think about it, everyone shall be doing the same thing diminishing the originality side of the marking.
I'm spending more time on Storage for Gardening, e.g. Pull-carts and stuff and Seats with storage. I shall only do:
2 Kneelers
1 Developed hand support device
3 Seats (I may show u them later, as I currently have one)
5 pulling things to place all your equipment (which I feel shall most likely thing to come up).

lol I didn't make myself clear.... By trolley as in some sort of object that allows the transportation of plant pots or other materials... and hand support device as in like a spade with a wrist attachment etc?
lol I didn't make myself clear.... By trolley as in some sort of object that allows the transportation of plant pots or other materials... and hand support device as in like a spade with a wrist attachment etc?

I did 5 ideas for both as shown in my pictures :smile:

Trolley can come up. Hand support device...Nope.
Trolley can come up. Hand support device...Nope.

How was it everyone? What did you draw for the first 3 drawings (first question)? I drew a hand held spade, a sitter and a kneeler.
Reply 39
I just basically did 5 storage units - I'm **** at drawing and DT really isn't for me - oh well :/

http://imgur.com/hUdPYwf

Anyways, how did it go for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending