The Student Room Group

Counting marks on unofficial mark schemes

Guys this may sound dumb but, when you count marks, maths in particular, do you include potential method marks you may get even if you don't get the right answer? Could people share the way they count theirs below , maths especially.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rajive
Guys this may sound dumb but, when you count marks, maths in particular, do you include potential method marks you may get even if you don't get the right answer? Could people share the way they count theirs below , maths especially.

Thanks

I always include method marks. I probably do it a bit to the extreme but I use the unofficial mark schemes to produce my own personal mark scheme with each question broken up into method marks. I then put this all on an excel spreadsheet, total up the marks and predict my grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by scphmapd
I always include method marks. I probably do it a bit to the extreme but I use the unofficial mark schemes to produce my own personal mark scheme with each question broken up into method marks. I then put this all on an excel spreadsheet, total up the marks and predict my grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a structure! Thanks for that

Was it GCSE maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Rajive

Was it GCSE maths?

Nah it was SATS
Original post by Rajive

Was it GCSE maths?

Yeah, it was maths. I also used it to work out how many marks I needed to gain in paper 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah, it was maths. I also used it to work out how many marks I needed to gain in paper 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, can I ask what you got in the end?
Original post by Rajive
Okay, can I ask what you got in the end?

I've predicted:

Paper 1: 87
Paper 2: 88

Using previous boundaries this would equal an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've predicted:

Paper 1: 87
Paper 2: 88

Using previous boundaries this would equal an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay thanks
Reply 8
i dont count them so i get the minimum grade i can get which is probably what ill get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ksj.11
i dont count them so i get the minimum grade i can get which is probably what ill get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, in a normal situation though, examiners mark what you have eventhoigh answers may be wrong?
Reply 10
Bump
for gcse maths last year i gave myself method marks as i saw fit if they weren't specified in the unofficial mark scheme and my actual result was pretty close to my estimated one

for the fsmq this year it was a bad paper so i looked at the unofficial mark scheme about ten times and calculated with method marks and without, and for the answers i couldn't remember didn't give myself the answer mark
prepping myself for the worst case scenario here :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
for gcse maths last year i gave myself method marks as i saw fit if they weren't specified in the unofficial mark scheme and my actual result was pretty close to my estimated one

for the fsmq this year it was a bad paper so i looked at the unofficial mark scheme about ten times and calculated with method marks and without, and for the answers i couldn't remember didn't give myself the answer mark
prepping myself for the worst case scenario here :biggrin:

What was your predicted result and your actual result?
Reply 13
There are so many factors to consider that it's barely worth trying that hard. You can't be sure of grade boundaries, others getting answers right, remembering your own answers and so much other stuff that the margin for error is significantly greater than grade boundaries.

If you really must, I'd suggest looking at previous mark schemes for similar style questions. The longest questions I've had to deal with are 7 marks and most are under 5 so it's easy to just give yourself half or a bit more. Because of ECF, it's still possible to pick up the majority of marks even if you don't get the correct final answer.
I always calculate my minimum and maximum marks and then find the average out of these two, as there's always a few marks when you're not sure whether you're going to get them or not but last year when I did my estimates for AS maths i tended to underestimate my marks
Original post by Rajive
What was your predicted result and your actual result?

thought i got around 178 - 88 on non calculator and 90 on calculator but ended up getting 180/200 overall, which is A*
Reply 16
Original post by fefssdf
I always calculate my minimum and maximum marks and then find the average out of these two, as there's always a few marks when you're not sure whether you're going to get them or not but last year when I did my estimates for AS maths i tended to underestimate my marks

Have you done this to maths exams prior to AS? Like GCSE?
Original post by Rajive
Have you done this to maths exams prior to AS? Like GCSE?

no but for GCSE i knew my grades for every single subject so it was rather boring on results day cause i was 100% correct for every grades lol
I remember back when I did gcse maths and I thought I had just scraped an A* but ended up with 175/200 oooh hahahah
Original post by Rajive
x

btw the official maths mark scheme has leaked (for Edexcel) - http://paper-cut.weebly.com/gcse-ms.html

Quick Reply

Latest