The Student Room Group

SFE Compelling personal reasons help

I started uni back in 2015/16 and dropped out in January 2016. My reason why I dropped out is because my Granddad passed away that week and that messed up my brain and I couldn't cope. I was looking after my granddad 24/7 because he has cancer and top of that I looked after my grandma (she is 89 years old) for 24/7 cooking, putting her to bed, buying food, cleaning etc etc. You probably ask 'why did you look after your granddad and not your parents etc' that is because I was living with my granddad and Nan because I didn't applied to live in halls. I have sorted my head around now and I am 100% fully fit to study a new course.

I have already used up 2 years + 1 year of SFE. The 2 years were from my other Uni which I dropped out due to other reasons. This year is a whole different story.

I googled this and people are saying to give a doctors note? What doctors note?

May someone help me out please? What kind of evidence do i need to give out to SFE in my situation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You have to provide independent third-party proof that your grandfather's death affected you in the way that it did. Letter from a GP, uni counsellor etc. If you didn't seek help or support at the time, then you will unfortunately not have any proof.

Even if you can get that one year reinstated, your previous two years at uni mean that you will only get full funding for years two and three of a new degree. You would have to self-fund the first year. For you, the calculation is:

Number of years of new degree (minus) Number of previous years of uni study (plus) One grace year (plus) One reinstated year

This gives you 3-3+1+1=2 years of SF entitlement remaining. Not enough to complete a new degree from scratch. That would have been the case even before your grandfather passed away.
Unsure why you've made a new thread for this? You already had a several page thread where you were given a lot of advice on this topic.

You really need to do your own research and find your own way forward.

I suspect the people suggesting you provide a doctors note are referring to if you are getting exemption due to medical grounds.
Reply 3
To clarify, the letter from a GP etc would enable you to use the Student Finance "Compelling Personal Reasons" process, to reclaim one year of SF funding entitlement.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
To clarify, the letter from a GP etc would enable you to use the Student Finance "Compelling Personal Reasons" process, to reclaim one year of SF funding entitlement.

How do I get a GP note? what do i say i didnt before i am confused
Original post by Sadpuppie

You have to go and speak to your GP. Your letter has to explain why your situation either affected your ability to study or why you had to drop out. (whichever applies)

If I am understanding Klix correctly, you go to your GP and ask him to write down all the times you visited him/her for support and to list the support you received, in relation to your grandfathers illness/death. This will then provide medical evidence that you were not in a fit state to complete your course.

If you did not visit your GP for support, then there is nothing for him to write for you and this is unlikely to be a successful route.

Did you register as a carer for either of your grandparents? Being able to show evidence of this might also act as evidence (although I suspect it is a long shot).
Reply 7
Original post by Elivercury
If I am understanding Klix correctly, you go to your GP and ask him to write down all the times you visited him/her for support and to list the support you received, in relation to your grandfathers illness/death. This will then provide medical evidence that you were not in a fit state to complete your course.

If you did not visit your GP for support, then there is nothing for him to write for you and this is unlikely to be a successful route.

Did you register as a carer for either of your grandparents? Being able to show evidence of this might also act as evidence (although I suspect it is a long shot).

I did not visit my GP ever. What do I now? Any other options for me now? I did look after my grandad and my grandma for 24/7 but how can I proof that? Why would someone go to GP because of that? I find it really stupid... I really want to funding from SFE because I cannot afford anything right now. Can someone help me out?
I did not visit my GP ever. What do I now? Any other options for me now? I did look after my grandad and my grandma for 24/7 but how can I proof that? Why would someone go to GP because of that? I find it really stupid... I really want to funding from SFE because I cannot afford anything right now. Can someone help me out?

Do you have any proof at all that you were his carer? IE, anything fom social services? Some people go to their GP because they need bereavement counselling after the death of the person they were caring for.
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you have any proof at all that you were his carer? IE, anything fom social services? Some people go to their GP because they need bereavement counselling after the death of the person they were caring for.

Social services? what is that? I just looked after them all the time due to parent working everyday etc and I live with my nan/granddad while at uni. I drive my nan and granddad to hospital and its always me and not my parents heck they can even check cctc. I feed them, I buy the groceries, I help them shower etc everything is me but i have no help from no others i just did it because my heart said so. what other proof do they freaking need. I am just so sad right now it seems i have no proof since i did it because its the ONLY right thing to do. Im not your typical grandson i care for them i love them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Social services? what is that? I just looked after them all the time due to parent working everyday etc and I live with my nan/granddad while at uni. I drive my nan and granddad to hospital and its always me and not my parents heck they can even check cctc.

Social services help put care packages into place, meaning that if you're registered as a carer, you can have a life and you're not left caring for someone 24/7.
Reply 11
Original post by Tiger Rag
Social services help put care packages into place, meaning that if you're registered as a carer, you can have a life and you're not left caring for someone 24/7.

nope no social services. I did remember my dad said something about a nurse coming to check up my granddad health. Is that social services? but that is like once every 2 weeks or 3 weeks i dont know.
Look, the fact of the matter is that they have no idea if you spent the year diligently being a faithful carer or you decided you couldn't be bothered and spent the year drinking. They want evidence to prove it is the former and not the latter.

You therefore must have some evidence - did you tell your university the reason you left? Do you have any sort of calendar or record of your caring?

You've already stated that while you were "caring" for your grandparents, you were not registered as a carer for your grandparents, so it was not official and you received no government support. Likewise you never spoke to your GP about the difficulties or anything related to that.

I don't wish to be harsh, but ultimately unless you can provide some evidence you were being a carer rather than having a long holiday on a beach, they've zero reason to help you or provide you with anything.

Incidentally, you state you can't afford anything right now - you are aware that even if you get the year refunded you will STILL need to pay the first year right? I.e. you will need to pay £9,000 personally in few months, before you can even get any loans.

I would also note that you do not intend to do the same course, but plan to transfer to a new one which probably doesn't help your case.

I would suggest you review all the evidence you could potentially submit and check whether it is sufficient evidence to meet SFE's criteria. I would also seriously consider whether this is a route you wish to pursue, as from your previous thread it seemed like the primary reason was just to make your parents think more highly of you (and you of yourself) rather than for any practical reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending