The Student Room Group

Appealing Funding Decision

Hi SFE,

I was studying for a Ph.D. in 2020 and received funding from SFE. However, I dropped out after a year because of addiction and mental health issues. I then restarted a Ph.D. at a different institution in September 2022. My funding application was rejected because I had previously taken out a doctorate loan (although I only received about 30% of the loan). My supervisors at my first Ph.D. course didn't know exactly why I dropped out as I didn't tell them because I'm slightly ashamed of the addiction issue. Because they didn't know, they couldn't back up that I had extenuating circumstances.

I'm currently on a six-month break from my Ph.D. as I can't afford the tuition fees. I hope to go back this September. Can I appeal the decision not to fund me?
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Hi SFE,

I was studying for a Ph.D. in 2020 and received funding from SFE. However, I dropped out after a year because of addiction and mental health issues. I then restarted a Ph.D. at a different institution in September 2022. My funding application was rejected because I had previously taken out a doctorate loan (although I only received about 30% of the loan). My supervisors at my first Ph.D. course didn't know exactly why I dropped out as I didn't tell them because I'm slightly ashamed of the addiction issue. Because they didn't know, they couldn't back up that I had extenuating circumstances.

I'm currently on a six-month break from my Ph.D. as I can't afford the tuition fees. I hope to go back this September. Can I appeal the decision not to fund me?

Hi there, just to confirm what year of your course are you going onto in September 23? Will this be year 1 and if so, how many years if the new course? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
I took a year-long hiatus from the PhD (my second attempt) after 6 months of studying part-time. So, as I'm part-time, the full length of the course is 6 years. When/if I go back in September (if I go back in September I will only have taken 6 months off), I will be continuing year one of the 6-year, part-time PhD.
I took a year-long hiatus from the PhD (my second attempt) after 6 months of studying part-time. So, as I'm part-time, the full length of the course is 6 years. When/if I go back in September (if I go back in September I will only have taken 6 months off), I will be continuing year one of the 6-year, part-time PhD.

Hi there,

Thank you - last of all, did you make an application with us for the course the began last September?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Thank you - last of all, did you make an application with us for the course the began last September?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi, yes I made the application for the course that began last September.
Hi, yes I made the application for the course that began last September.

Hi there,

Can you confirm if you suspended or withdrew from the course originally? Does anyone in a profession know of the Compelling Personal Reasons?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Can you confirm if you suspended or withdrew from the course originally? Does anyone in a profession know of the Compelling Personal Reasons?

Thanks,
Claire

I withdrew due to addiction problems, but I was too ashamed to tell my supervisor so no one knew the reason why.
I withdrew due to addiction problems, but I was too ashamed to tell my supervisor so no one knew the reason why.

Hi there,

To apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) we'll need a letter from yourself (signed and dated) explaining what happened in your own words.

We'll also need, preferably, a letter from a professional person confirming this and the effect this had on your studies. Do you think you could get someone like a doctor or tutor etc to write a letter like that?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

To apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) we'll need a letter from yourself (signed and dated) explaining what happened in your own words.

We'll also need, preferably, a letter from a professional person confirming this and the effect this had on your studies. Do you think you could get someone like a doctor or tutor etc to write a letter like that?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Yes, I think I can.

What would be the process for me to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR)?

Thanks.
Hi Graeme,

Yes, I think I can.

What would be the process for me to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR)?

Thanks.

Hi there,

If you write the covering letter from yourself explaining the CPR and then send the evidence from someone in profession. The team will review this and confirm if they can accept this or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending