The Student Room Group

Does this warrant marks?(Maths)

I've been attempting some Edexcel New GCSE maths questions, and upon solving a question I happened to get a different (but similar) answer to the mark scheme, because there is more than one way of solving the question.

The question and answer was:
maths rearrange.png

But my answer was

3r+7
------ = a
2-r

The difference in the methods was that I rearranged (ra) and (+7) instead of (3r) and (2a). Will I still get marks? The mark scheme does not mention my answer but I'm pretty adamant it's correct..
Reply 1
(3r-7)/(2-r) would be the only other correct answer. Yours is wrong, sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion
(3r-7)/(2-r) would be the only other correct answer. Yours is wrong, sorry.

Oh right thanks, looking back on my working I see where I went wrong.

But if I wrote that in an exam would I get marks (as its not on the mark scheme)?
You've made a mistake with the sign- you carried the 7 over but didn't change the sign hence you've got the wrong answer :smile:
Original post by Gabzinc
Oh right thanks, looking back on my working I see where I went wrong.

But if I wrote that in an exam would I get marks (as its not on the mark scheme)?

Whether you get any marks would probably depend on how many marks the question was- but I'd wager either 1 mark or none
Reply 5
Original post by Poooky
Whether you get any marks would probably depend on how many marks the question was- but I'd wager either 1 mark or none

I mean if I wrote 3r-7/2-r (which is also correct, not the mistake that I made)
Original post by Gabzinc

In that case you'd get full marks, both answers are the same :smile: (multiply your numerator and denominator by -1, you get the same answer as the mark scheme)
Reply 7
Original post by Poooky
In that case you'd get full marks, both answers are the same :smile: (multiply your numerator and denominator by -1, you get the same answer as the mark scheme)

Great! Thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Gabzinc

Yeah, if it's an equivalent answer you'd definitely still get the marks for it :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest