The Student Room Group

Still hung up on not getting into my first choice university

I worked hard for my A-Levels last year and got AAB on results day. Unfortunately, I missed an offer from my first choice (Russell Group) university by one grade. I had wanted to make a 'safe' choice for my insurance, so I put a university that required 300 UCAS points for my chosen course as my second choice. I have recently completed my first year at said university.

'Okay' is the only word that can describe my first year. I have consistently achieved firsts, but feel little to no sense of achievement because the work was easy and unengaging. I can't really relate to anyone on my course because they don't seem particularly interested in the subject. The lecturers don't inspire me. I have made many good friends - but no one I can really relate to.

I always pictured university as a place where I would meet intelligent individuals with a fervent interest in the subject they chose to study. I pictured pushing myself and learning in every sense of the word.

I no longer see the point in dropping out now that I've got this far, but I just feel like my brain is turning to sludge from lack of stimulation. I feel as if I'm wasting what should be some of the best years of my life.

Does anyone have any advice? I feel like I'm having an existential crisis.

Scroll to see replies

Are there any other things you could do to challenge yourself, such as learn a language or take some different modules in subjects you've never done? Could you maybe aim to help run a society, write for the uni magazine, learn a new skill? If you really don't like your uni though and feel that its not the right place for you perhaps you could look into transferring to another university for next year? If you're consistently getting firsts you should be able to transfer onto the second year of your course at another uni, shouldn't you? I might be wrong about that but you could look into your options. Be thankful you're at university at all and make the most of it!
Reply 2
Original post by Ellismall
Are there any other things you could do to challenge yourself, such as learn a language or take some different modules in subjects you've never done? Could you maybe aim to help run a society, write for the uni magazine, learn a new skill? If you really don't like your uni though and feel that its not the right place for you perhaps you could look into transferring to another university for next year? If you're consistently getting firsts you should be able to transfer onto the second year of your course at another uni, shouldn't you? I might be wrong about that but you could look into your options. Be thankful you're at university at all and make the most of it!

Thank you - I am trying to make the most of the opportunities available to me, but I can't help but thinking how everything would probably be better elsewhere... so I often question the point of it all. I am taking two different modules next year which I am quite excited about. It probably isn't the right place for me but it's too late in the year to transfer now, and practically I don't think it would work. I missed my opportunity when I missed my offer. I definitely should be more thankful, my main issue is probably a lack of positivity!
Have you tried transferring?

You do realise that even if you don't have the exact A-Level requirements for your course, as long as you get a very good grade in first year and have a great personal statement, you could still transfer to your first choice UNI?

What Uni is this btw?
Reply 4
I'd rather not say - it's not a former poly, but a small and relatively unknown university. My first choice was Exeter. I did consider that, but I had kind of isolated myself throughout A-Levels and the prospect of doing something non-academic for a year was quite frightening. I also wanted to leave home ASAP. In retrospect, I probably should have taken a gap year and reapplied. But yes, I'm trying to focus on my degree and future now.
Reply 5
Original post by Straight8
Have you tried transferring?

You do realise that even if you don't have the exact A-Level requirements for your course, as long as you get a very good grade in first year and have a great personal statement, you could still transfer to your first choice UNI?

What Uni is this btw?

No, I haven't tried transferring - it doesn't really appeal to me. I feel that if I was meant to go there, I would be there now. I've also signed a tenancy agreement to stay in my house for another year. Besides, aren't you meant to apply via UCAS? I'm pretty sure the deadline's long since passed! I'd rather not say - it's not a former polytechnic, but a small and relatively unknown university.
Original post by rfvtgbyhn
No, I haven't tried transferring - it doesn't really appeal to me. I feel that if I was meant to go there, I would be there now. I've also signed a tenancy agreement to stay in my house for another year. Besides, aren't you meant to apply via UCAS? I'm pretty sure the deadline's long since passed! I'd rather not say - it's not a former polytechnic, but a small and relatively unknown university.

Pretty sure unless the course you're doing is Medicine you can get into Top Top Uni's with an AAB.

I'm at Manchester University and I got in with an AAB, so I'm really stunned at your story.
Reply 7
Thanks, I'm a girl haha! Yeah, it's pretty depressing. English Literature - graduate employment opportunities for humanities students aren't great anyway so at least I'm not really missing out on that score... It's just the university experience I feel I've missed out on. Yes, I recently finished my first year. Thank you again - I hope so.
Nah, trust me babe.

You can still make a transfer Application if I'm sure. And if you got a first in your first year, there's no way you can't still make it into your dream University, don't be so pessimistic.

I know people who got a BBC at A-levels and are at F*CKING Birmingham University, No Jokes.

so WHY CAN't you with an AAB get into Exeter, just because you missed a single grade. Try calling the University and ask how they do transfers. It won't hurt to try.

That's my advise :smile:
Reply 9
Pretty sure unless the course you're doing is Medicine you can get into Top Top Uni's with an AAB.

I'm at Manchester University and I got in with an AAB, so I'm really stunned at your story.

My offer was for English Literature at Exeter. It's a competitive course and I felt lucky to get an offer at all. On results day they offered me a place at their Cornwall campus instead but I turned it down because the course sounded pretty dry there and I didn't fancy being six hours away from home. I probably should have taken a gap year and reapplied.
Nah, trust me babe.

You can still make a transfer Application if I'm sure. And if you got a first in your first year, there's no way you can't still make it into your dream University, don't be so pessimistic.

I know people who got a BBC at A-levels and are at F*CKING Birmingham University, No Jokes.

so WHY CAN't you with an AAB get into Exeter, just because you missed a single grade. Try calling the University and ask how they do transfers. It won't hurt to try.

They transferred to Birmingham with BBC? Or got in with that grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
They transferred to Birmingham with BBC? Or got in with that grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My original point was for a person entering with that Grade but I've also seen people transfer to Birmingham with a lower entry requirement
LOL, Thanks bro.

I'm not being rude but I would never have not gotten into an RG Uni with AAB at A-levels, when the 21 year old guy next to me got in missing 2 grades haha.

Infact my best friend on my current course actually got a D at A-levels and they still took him in, but he's an International student so maybe they just wanted to fill a quota.
Reply 13
Nah, trust me babe.

Thanks for your advice, I'll bear it in mind.
Reply 14
Thanks for your advice, I'll bear it in mind.
"I missed my opportunity when I missed my offer"

"If I was meant to go, I would be there now."

"I felt lucky to get an offer at all."

I feel that you are being too hard on yourself, and a bit closed minded! :smile: You deserve to go to a university which you feel happy at and one which challenges you and offers you everything you want and need. With your grades you could have chosen from a wide range of great universities and yes, you should have tried to get into them at the time but it's never too late. Often in life if you want something you have to make it happen! It's fine to think "what will be will be" when something is out of your control. However, sometimes it doesn't do any good to sit around thinking "if it was meant to be it would have happened", because that's not necessarily true. Sometimes you have to take control of your life! In my opinion you should look into your options in terms of transferring. I do understand the practical issues, such as ucas and tenancies but I'm sure you could look for a place at uni this year through clearing.

Of course it's your choice, but all I'm saying is don't rule out transferring just because you feel "it's not meant to be" or it's your own fault because you missed your offer/didn't do anything about it at the time.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Ellismall
"I missed my opportunity when I missed my offer"

"If I was meant to go, I would be there now."

"I felt lucky to get an offer at all."

I feel that you are being too hard on yourself, and a bit closed minded! :smile: You deserve to go to a university which you feel happy at and one which challenges you and offers you everything you want and need. With your grades you could have chosen from a wide range of great universities and yes, you should have tried to get into them at the time but it's never too late. Often in life if you want something you have to make it happen! It's fine to think "what will be will be" when something is out of your control. However, sometimes it doesn't do any good to sit around thinking "if it was meant to be it would have happened", because that's not necessarily true. Sometimes you have to take control of your life! In my opinion you should look into your options in terms of transferring. I do understand the practical issues, such as ucas and tenancies but I'm sure you could look for a place at uni this year through clearing.

Of course it's your choice, but all I'm saying is don't rule out transferring just because you feel "it's not meant to be" or it's your own fault because you missed your offer/didn't do anything about it at the time.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do :smile:

Thank you - I am pretty pessimistic. However unfulfilling I find my course, I am very comfortable where I am. I have a nice house, job, good friends/partner, and I'm close to home. I don't want to completely uproot my life because I have some regrets and uni isn't everything I wanted it to be. I plan to go on to further education so I may just do an MA at a better university. I'll bear your advice in mind, though.
Original post by rfvtgbyhn
...However unfulfilling I find my course, I am very comfortable where I am. I have a nice house, job, good friends/partner, and I'm close to home. I don't want to completely uproot my life because I have some regrets and uni isn't everything I wanted it to be. I plan to go on to further education so I may just do an MA at a better university...

This would be exactly my advice. When university doesn't match up to expectations It's natural to think that you would be having a much better time somewhere else. If you did transfer now, chances are that you would feel isolated, or dissatisfied in some other way. If you can stay motivated and keep those firsts coming in, you will have your pick of universities for your MA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending