The Student Room Group

Can someone please check this for me

Hello,
So I would like to be a vet and my first choice is RVC in London.
However, I am not keen on taking Chemistry at A Level so have decided that I would like to go down the Extended Diploma route.

My local collage offers a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Animal Management. The RVC has this listed under Diplomas in Entry Requirements with a grade of D*D*D* as long as you meet the GCSE requirements.

So does that mean I will get in with just this Diploma and my GCSEs or will I have to do A Level as well?

I think I'll be fine with the Extended Diploma, GCSEs and Work Experience but would just like some one do double check for me before I make any decisions 🙈

Thank you
Looks like as long as you take the required modules (double check your college offers all the required ones!) and get the specified grades in them then you’re good to go :smile:
I would strongly encourage you do the A level route instead.
Yes A level chemistry is hard, yes its boring, no you will never use it either in vet school or as a vet (and if a client asks me to calculate the moles of something they will be asked to leave) BUT it does make you a competitive applicant.

Your first choice may be RVC, but don't make it your only choice - any vet school is better than no vet school offer.

My application was on the riskier side (not required GCSE grades, resat A levels, years playing around with cows before deciding to be a vet) but it paid off. I certainly wouldn't have risked only applying to one vet school though.
Why would you
Reply 4
Original post by TheMixedVet
I would strongly encourage you do the A level route instead.
Yes A level chemistry is hard, yes its boring, no you will never use it either in vet school or as a vet (and if a client asks me to calculate the moles of something they will be asked to leave) BUT it does make you a competitive applicant.

Your first choice may be RVC, but don't make it your only choice - any vet school is better than no vet school offer.

My application was on the riskier side (not required GCSE grades, resat A levels, years playing around with cows before deciding to be a vet) but it paid off. I certainly wouldn't have risked only applying to one vet school though.

Why would someone only apply to one vet school with 5 choices? Wouldn't it be best to choose 5 ones, or is there something I don't know that benefits you for only picking one?
Original post by Flappy
Why would someone only apply to one vet school with 5 choices? Wouldn't it be best to choose 5 ones, or is there something I don't know that benefits you for only picking one?

They didn’t say to pick only one or that OP is only choosing one - they just meant to not get too hung up on RVC as a first choice because it’s difficult to get any offers at all, so advising to apply to as many as possible and not get too disappointed if RVC don’t give an offer but other unis do - personally when an applicant starts a sentence with “I want to go to vet school at x uni” specifically it sometimes rings alarm bells as it is so difficult to get 1 offer let alone from a specific uni. For vet med you can only pick 4 unis, your 5th option has to be a different subject. There are no benefits to only choosing one, you’re only very much lowering chances at getting in, as far as I know unis can’t see your other choices so they physically can’t “favouritise” an applicant if they only chose them (not that they would as it’s so competitive). But some applicants do get very hung up on 1 specific vet school, so it is sometimes important to mention it. Some might not apply to all 4 vet schools due to other reasons, e.g. sometimes especially for mature students who have homes and families changing location drastically is not that simple. But yes, for best chances apply to 4.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RambleAmple
They didn’t say to pick only one or that OP is only choosing one - they just meant to not get too hung up on RVC as a first choice because it’s difficult to get any offers at all, so advising to apply to as many as possible and not get too disappointed if RVC don’t give an offer but other unis do - personally when an applicant starts a sentence with “I want to go to vet school at x uni” specifically it sometimes rings alarm bells as it is so difficult to get 1 offer let alone from a specific uni. For vet med you can only pick 4 unis, your 5th option has to be a different subject. There are no benefits to only choosing one, you’re only very much lowering chances at getting in, as far as I know unis can’t see your other choices so they physically can’t “favouritise” an applicant if they only chose them (not that they would as it’s so competitive). But some applicants do get very hung up on 1 specific vet school, so it is sometimes important to mention it. Some might not apply to all 4 vet schools due to other reasons, e.g. sometimes especially for mature students who have homes and families changing location drastically is not that simple. But yes, for best chances apply to 4.

Thankyou, I understand this now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending